Mashona Bull at 28 months old

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Mashona Bull at 28 months old

Postby HDRider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Ever seen one of these?

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Mashona Bull at 28 months old

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:50 pm

No, but that feeder is eye catching.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Can't open it..
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Can't open it..

Odd, does it not appear as a picture? You see a link?
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:52 pm

I can see the picture. It's a nice feed trough/hay rack, and a bull's head. Can't tell much about the bull from just his head.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 am

He looks like one of these famous Craiglist's horned Angus.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:17 am

I own a group of Mashonas and like them quite a lot. Most of mine are polled, but I do have 2 with scurs - like the bull in the picture. I have only had them for 2 1/2 years and just had my first calves this year, but would be willing to try to answer questions on them. There are not many in the country and Jim Weaver was the one that brought the breed to the U.S. from Africa. He has web site with some pictures and history. I think that they have a niche due to their heat tolerance and mine have done well on fescue. They are a heat tolerant Bos Taurus breed.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:34 am

By the way H.D., my red Mashona bull sired my favorite longhorn cross calves this year. I was testing what I considered to be a type to type mating and the calves are much better than I anticipated and so far, he has taken off the spots (9 calves thus far). I will know more after the 6 heifers from this cross calve in a couple of years. These heifers are solid red and fancy. The 3 steer calves grew better that anticipated as well. This cross produced much better F1/hybrid vigor than I anticipated. So far, 7 of the 9 Longhorn cross calves are polled and the other 2 have what appear to be scurs.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:37 am

HDRider wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:Can't open it..

Odd, does it not appear as a picture? You see a link?

It's a box with a ? Mark in it....
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:30 am

Rafter S wrote:I can see the picture. It's a nice feed trough/hay rack, and a bull's head. Can't tell much about the bull from just his head.

That’s all I saw at first as well. Press the Ctrl & - buttons, it’ll shrink to where you can see the whole thing.
0 x

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm

R V wrote:I own a group of Mashonas and like them quite a lot. Most of mine are polled, but I do have 2 with scurs - like the bull in the picture. I have only had them for 2 1/2 years and just had my first calves this year, but would be willing to try to answer questions on them. There are not many in the country and Jim Weaver was the one that brought the breed to the U.S. from Africa. He has web site with some pictures and history. I think that they have a niche due to their heat tolerance and mine have done well on fescue. They are a heat tolerant Bos Taurus breed.

Bos Taurus? You sure? The face, the hump and the rump all look like there is some Bos Indicus in there someplace.

I like the bull, a lot of meat on a shorter frame, he looks like. And I really like the feeder.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

MO_cows wrote:
R V wrote:I own a group of Mashonas and like them quite a lot. Most of mine are polled, but I do have 2 with scurs - like the bull in the picture. I have only had them for 2 1/2 years and just had my first calves this year, but would be willing to try to answer questions on them. There are not many in the country and Jim Weaver was the one that brought the breed to the U.S. from Africa. He has web site with some pictures and history. I think that they have a niche due to their heat tolerance and mine have done well on fescue. They are a heat tolerant Bos Taurus breed.

Bos Taurus? You sure? The face, the hump and the rump all look like there is some Bos Indicus in there someplace.

I like the bull, a lot of meat on a shorter frame, he looks like. And I really like the feeder.
He's sanga type tho many sanga cattle doesn't looks like a Bos taurus to me. They just looks like a composite between taurus and indicus to me.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Our Mashona cattle have done very well in New Mexico. Their moderate size, low birth weights, and heat tolerance serve them well. Our cows weigh about 950 lbs (431 kg) and the bulls 1350 lbs (612 kg). Average birth weights for calves are just over 50 lbs (23 kg). Dystocia is nearly unknown in this breed. Slaughter weights for the most recent group on feed were 1150 lbs (522 kg) and 1030 lbs (467 kg) for steers and heifers respectively.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Taurus wrote:
MO_cows wrote:

He's sanga type tho many sanga cattle doesn't looks like a Bos taurus to me. They just looks like a composite between taurus and indicus to me.

You are very good. By DNA, there is apparently a tiny amount of Bos Indicus (I think it was less than 1%, but has been a while since I looked the data.), but they are classified as Bos Taurus. The gene pool is apparently ~400 years old, but due to civil war and crossbreeding, there are apparently very few full bloods left in Africa.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm

R V wrote:By the way H.D., my red Mashona bull sired my favorite longhorn cross calves this year. I was testing what I considered to be a type to type mating and the calves are much better than I anticipated and so far, he has taken off the spots (9 calves thus far). I will know more after the 6 heifers from this cross calve in a couple of years. These heifers are solid red and fancy. The 3 steer calves grew better that anticipated as well. This cross produced much better F1/hybrid vigor than I anticipated. So far, 7 of the 9 Longhorn cross calves are polled and the other 2 have what appear to be scurs.

I have to think this breed has now dynamite genetic material to offer cross breeding programs. Too bad they are so hard to find.

Please post some pictures of the LH X.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”