Just joined. Hi everyone.

Let us know who you are.
Jerseygirl
Beginner
Beginner

Just joined. Hi everyone.

Postby Jerseygirl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:09 pm

I was raised on a farm and had cattle all my life. We have had cows since the 80's. We just started calving this year and this is the worst year ever.
:cry2: :cry2:
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Just joined. Hi everyone.

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Well tell us about it. That's what we're here for.

:welcome:
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:33 pm

0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 pm

0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Jerseygirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jerseygirl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Well tell us about it. That's what we're here for.

ok well we had three cows that had their water bags out but was not in labor. We had the vet out for each one of them. The cervix was not dilated so the vet induced all three of them. The first two the calves were alive but when the vet pulled them they died shortly ( seconds/minutes) afterwards. So on the third one we took the cow in to have a C-section done. The cow and calf are doing fine so far. None of the cows knew that they had their water bags out, they were acting like nothing was going on, eating, chewing their cud, etc. We have been vaccinating the cows since day one so that can't be the problem. We now are testing the blood of the cows to see what is causing this. Anyone have any ideas?
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:41 pm

0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Jerseygirl wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Well tell us about it. That's what we're here for.

ok well we had three cows that had their water bags out but was not in labor. We had the vet out for each one of them. The cervix was not dilated so the vet induced all three of them. The first two the calves were alive but when the vet pulled them they died shortly ( seconds/minutes) afterwards. So on the third one we took the cow in to have a C-section done. The cow and calf are doing fine so far. None of the cows knew that they had their water bags out, they were acting like nothing was going on, eating, chewing their cud, etc. We have been vaccinating the cows since day one so that can't be the problem. We now are testing the blood of the cows to see what is causing this. Anyone have any ideas?

Were they cows or heifers? I've seen that with heifers, out vet calls it it heifer disease but not from a cow. Some heifers just seem to be too stupid the first time to realize what's going on.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jerseygirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jerseygirl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 am

they are cows around 5 yrs to 7 yrs old. It is like they don't go into labor but the water bag is out but nothing else happens. Now the calf has a swollen back leg. Not sure what happened there. not sure if the cow step on it or what. The cow wasn't claiming the calf so we milked her. She only had a little bit of milk. We now have a bottle calf. Kind of worried about the calf's back leg. any ideas? After 30 plus years in the cow business, I am ready to get out.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Jerseygirl wrote:ok well we had three cows that had their water bags out but was not in labor. We had the vet out for each one of them. The cervix was not dilated so the vet induced all three of them. The first two the calves were alive but when the vet pulled them they died shortly ( seconds/minutes) afterwards. So on the third one we took the cow in to have a C-section done. The cow and calf are doing fine so far. None of the cows knew that they had their water bags out, they were acting like nothing was going on, eating, chewing their cud, etc. We have been vaccinating the cows since day one so that can't be the problem. We now are testing the blood of the cows to see what is causing this. ...........
They are cows around 5 yrs to 7 yrs old. It is like they don't go into labor but the water bag is out but nothing else happens. Now the calf has a swollen back leg. Not sure what happened there. not sure if the cow step on it or what. The cow wasn't claiming the calf so we milked her. She only had a little bit of milk. We now have a bottle calf. Kind of worried about the calf's back leg. any ideas? After 30 plus years in the cow business, I am ready to get out.Anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes, especially if they are really hungry, they're just more interested in eating than calving.

I combined your posts in to one--You might want to copy and paste the quoted part above, and start a new thread in the calving section--not as many people look at the "Hi I'm new here" section.
viewforum.php?f=19
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jerseygirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jerseygirl » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:42 am

I have a calf that is around 450 lbs. It has labored breathing , cough , snotty nose. and has had some drooling. We treated it with Draxxin. It was not getting any better so had the vet out. He gave it Zuprevo, dex, and pencillin. gave it dex again twice yesterday per the vet. It still is not any better. It is not drooling anymore but still has labored breathing, cough. and a dirty nose. Appetite is very poor. Any ideas what to do? Vet says the zuprevo should do the trick. But shouldn't it be getting better. It has been two days since we treated with Zuprevo.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Welcome to the forum! And wow, you're having a rough time. I have no clue what could be going on with your cows but I'm glad your vet is involved with them as well as the 450 lb. calf. I'm assuming the calf had a temp; the only other thing that might help is Banamine but I'd check with your vet first. Good luck and keep us posted!

BTW I agree that your bottle calf probably got stepped on.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”