Using a Soap Foamer?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Using a Soap Foamer?

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:Fire sweep you say they "changed" the rules. Why did it ever get like this? Where the cattle needed to be fluffed and puffed to be shown? Just can't wrap my head around a purpose for it. :bang:

I realize that if your breed assoc does it, you have to also to be competitive in the ring.
Guess that's why I have Brangus. :)

It is all about money! Sullivans makes more money when they sell product. So, if the National shows allow glue, it is a win for Sullivans or Weaver or who ever. Like I said, the hair can hide a ton of faults... I prefer the slick look.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

wellsk_80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby wellsk_80 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Laynee can stick them slick as well ;-)Image
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed May 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Nice wellsk!!
Pretty girl with her pretty heifer!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:Fire sweep you say they "changed" the rules. Why did it ever get like this? Where the cattle needed to be fluffed and puffed to be shown? Just can't wrap my head around a purpose for it. :bang:

I realize that if your breed assoc does it, you have to also to be competitive in the ring.
Guess that's why I have Brangus. :)

It is all about money! Sullivans makes more money when they sell product. So, if the National shows allow glue, it is a win for Sullivans or Weaver or who ever. Like I said, the hair can hide a ton of faults... I prefer the slick look.

You have great cattle. Why not show them slick and see if you can start a new trend? :mrgreen:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

wellsk_80
Beginner
Beginner

Postby wellsk_80 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:44 am

branguscowgirl wrote:Nice wellsk!!
Pretty girl with her pretty heifer!

Thank you ... She works hard at it and its paid off for her .
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu May 28, 2015 10:45 am

Our county fair is blow and go, but if you put the time in at home and the hair pops, the calves have a more youthful, fresh appearance. We do not have a cooler and are calves did not have 2 to 3 inches of hair to work with; they did have more hair than the calves that did not get worked with.
Branguscowgirl, it was not hard for me at all, I just had to make sure the boys got up early enough before school. They spent about 45 minutes in the morning and hour and half after school the last three months before fair. The calves that get that much time spent on them are also much easier to handle, very little upsets them at the fair. A 12 year old weighing 90 pounds leading a 1350 pound steer like a puppy, and right behind is an 18 year old who had to get 2 of his buddies to get his steer to the ring. The hands on time at home, pays off in more ways than one at the show.
We have a small fair in our county that is a month later than our county fair, this is where a lot of the kids who had extra animals (can only sale one through auction at county), animals that were too light at county or people just don’t like the big shows, go to. It is a slick show; the haired calves at county that did well are the same calves that win at the slick show. Good calves are good calves, hairy or slick, it does seems that black cattle looked better than colored cattle hairy, and with slick it is the colored calves that do better. I think it is a visual thing more than what calves are actually better.

As far as the foamer, yes they are a nice tool to have. Use whatever soap you are comfortable with, just use it sparingly. We used the Head and Shoulders type because we had a calf that had bad skin, we tried vinegar, and everything else, just could not get rid of it, in a last ditch effort tried dandruff shampoo and it helped.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”