Fairlife Dairy Products

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Flacowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fairlife Dairy Products

Postby Flacowman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

I was just wondering if any of the dairy folks have any strong feelings either way about the Fairlife dairy products. I had originally heard that this was an endeavor by Coca-Cola, but cannot find any mention of it on their website so I don't know if this was true.

In essences, from what I understand, they have a large cooperative and filter milk into it's component parts and then recombine them in different proportions in addition to adding lactase, which results in higher protein and less total sugar content (and no lactose), which on the face of it sounds healthier than "regular" milk products.

I'm basically asking for views on if you think this is a good step for the dairy industry and if anyone produces for them or has dealt with them, and what was the experience like.
0 x
Fat is the prettiest color that God has ever made a cow.
-Granddaddy

regolith
GURU
GURU

Re: Fairlife Dairy Products

Postby regolith » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:45 am

"in partnership with" - it is on the website: http://fairlife.com/about/

Separating and re-combining isn't anything new "whole milk" bought in the supermarket is not whole milk and hasn't been for goodness knows how many years - it's skimmed, and then a proportion of the cream added back.
This is just a little further down the track of 'value-add' products.
Separating out the protein to make high protein food for athletes is commonly done by other dairy companies. Removing some of the lactose... I don't know; I can see a huge market for eliminating *all* the lactose and thus reaching the increasing population of lactose intolerant consumers. But I suspect that is best achieved by yogatising, and certainly doing half the job isn't going to reach that market.

Now what I really think is that the people who say "it tastes great" probably haven't tasted fresh milk straight from the cow for a while. There is no liquid milk packaged and sold that tastes as good as what the cow produces.
Don't get me started on what is and isn't healthy... there's not many today would dare to cook with the ingredients Grandma used.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:24 am

Back in the 60s my old mentor bottled his own milk and sold it straight from the dairy in a drive through, also had a fleet of door to door delivery trucks. The "regular" milk had powdered FNS (Fats Not Solids) added to it to get the fat content higher.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm

regolith wrote:"in partnership with" - it is on the website: http://fairlife.com/about/

Separating and re-combining isn't anything new "whole milk" bought in the supermarket is not whole milk and hasn't been for goodness knows how many years - it's skimmed, and then a proportion of the cream added back.
This is just a little further down the track of 'value-add' products.
Separating out the protein to make high protein food for athletes is commonly done by other dairy companies. Removing some of the lactose... I don't know; I can see a huge market for eliminating *all* the lactose and thus reaching the increasing population of lactose intolerant consumers. But I suspect that is best achieved by yogatising, and certainly doing half the job isn't going to reach that market.
Use to have an old flat top milk tank that you could raise the lid on....nothing better than a glass of 38 degree WHOLE milk right out of the tank.
Now what I really think is that the people who say "it tastes great" probably haven't tasted fresh milk straight from the cow for a while. There is no liquid milk packaged and sold that tastes as good as what the cow produces.
Don't get me started on what is and isn't healthy... there's not many today would dare to cook with the ingredients Grandma used.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:41 pm

About Fairlife LLC

fairlife, LLC, started with a vision for providing better nutrition for the world. Providing consumers with the protein and calcium that they are looking for in their busy lives, the highly nutritious milk products of fairlife come from the 92 family owned dairies of Select Milk Producers. Select was established in 1994 with the goal of producing exceptional quality milk while changing the face of the dairy industry through cutting edge innovation, dedication to animal care and comfort, and a commitment to agricultural sustainability. Select Milk Producers entered into a partnership with The Coca-Cola Company in 2012 to form fairlife, LLC. The Coca-Cola Company is the distribution partner for the products that fairlife creates, market and sells. fairlife, LLC, is committed to improving the health and vitality of the planet and its people.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Flacowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Flacowman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for posting the distribution info, I guess I missed that trying to look at the website on my phone.
0 x
Fat is the prettiest color that God has ever made a cow.
-Granddaddy

ike
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Almost finished a quart of Fairlife chocolate milk, my wife and I never consume chocolate milk,but after thePromised Land Chocolate milk thought we would do a comparison.
its okay, waiting to try the whole fair life milk, so won't comment.
Tried Promised Land whole chocolate milk, this to die for,even when cut 50/50 with whole milk,
The milk is supposed to be from an all a jersey herd,
We drink it in a crystal glass, ice cold,and yes I know how good milk tastes out of the bulk tank.Good luck to Fairlife and Promised Land Dairies, ike
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 pm

ike wrote:Almost finished a quart of Fairlife chocolate milk, my wife and I never consume chocolate milk,but after thePromised Land Chocolate milk thought we would do a comparison.
its okay, waiting to try the whole fair life milk, so won't comment.
Tried Promised Land whole chocolate milk, this to die for,even when cut 50/50 with whole milk,
The milk is supposed to be from an all a jersey herd,
We drink it in a crystal glass, ice cold,and yes I know how good milk tastes out of the bulk tank.Good luck to Fairlife and Promised Land Dairies, ike

Ike put that glass in the freezer and let it get frosty cold too before you fill her up. ;-)
0 x

ike
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ike » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:16 pm

TB, good idea ,Ido this with my beer glass.
We are using the Fairlife milk, it is fine,I notice aslght after taste , my wife doesnt, works really good in porridge oats we don't add whole cream, when making with Fairlife milk.
Some friends have been to Fairoaks Farm, nice operation,they really enjoyed sitting like in a movie theater watching the calfs being born.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”