with your shield or on it

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: my first heifers

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:47 am

boondocks wrote:
ez14 wrote:whats DD?

DD is "developmental duplication"--a genetic mutation you should try not to breed to if you can help it. Here's a fact sheet (this one is from the American Angus Assn but it's not specific to Angus):
http://www.angus.org/pub/DD/DDFactSheet.pdf

For example, we have a cow that is a DD carrier, meaning she doesn't exhibit the disorder herself but, if bred to a DD carrier bull, may give birth to offspring which shows the disorder (multiple extra limbs: pic here: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=d ... mp=yhs-002).

Very rare that a dd pregnancy ever goes full term.
The more common problem of economic concern with ddc is reabsorption of the fetus/early abortion bringing the female back into heat 30-60 days after a successful mating of 2 carriers. In the past the problem went unnoticed or was attributed to moldy feed, poor minerals or just plain bad luck.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:13 pm

what do you guys think of TH 49U 719T Sheyenne 3X http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... d=Hereford I talked to the AI breeder today and that was his recommendations
0 x

tnwalkingred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tnwalkingred » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Coleman Regis or GAR Prophet
0 x
I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence!

Sd1030
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Sd1030 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:54 pm

For my location id use a angus bull, the market is better here for black baldies, than reds. With that being said id use what will sell the best in your market.
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:40 pm

they were coughing friday. i borrowed a thermometer from my boss locked 1 up (i tried to lock the stanchion to early on the other 1 and it wouldnt put its head back in :bang: ) and took its temp it was 103.8 they look and act healthy but some times cough a little bit hoping to get some one to come look at them thinking about giving them excenel or nuflor
0 x

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:28 am

Im going to have the vet out to do pelvic measuring and frame scoring and was wondering if there was anything else i should have him do well hes out here

Well in my last post on here i see i didn`t update it i gave them some aspirin and time and they got better
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:38 am

Don;t know if you mean just a pelvic or the whole RTS (Repro Tract Scoring) but the full RTS is what is needed. Depending on what else has been done, vaccinate, worm and pour for external parasites is about it. That is our standard spring workup for heifers.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:45 am

dun wrote:Don;t know if you mean just a pelvic or the whole RTS (Repro Tract Scoring) but the full RTS is what is needed. Depending on what else has been done, vaccinate, worm and pour for external parasites is about it. That is our standard spring workup for heifers.

I dont know about RTS how much longer is that going to take vs just the pelvic? and just the pelvic isn`t going to tell me what i need to know?? The vet cost $120 a hour so i really dont want him here longer then he needs to be
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:57 am

ez14 wrote:Im glad you guys like them im only 15 and dont have any experience picking breeding stock

Congratulations! Welcome to the business. :clap:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 pm

I'd probably spring for the whole exam. With 2 head, your going to want to make sure they are breeders.

I got a soft spot for a young person that wants to get in. I've been following your post a little. You got a good work ethic, and a good attitude. Hope you have you good luck this breeding season. If you don't------don't give up.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I'd probably spring for the whole exam. With 2 head, your going to want to make sure they are breeders.

I got a soft spot for a young person that wants to get in. I've been following your post a little. You got a good work ethic, and a good attitude. Hope you have you good luck this breeding season. If you don't------don't give up.

Thanks bigfoot and im not going to give up cattle are going to be what i do i`ll need a job tell i get the kind of farm i want but then it will just be the farm

The Vet Clinic said i would have to let them know before they came out that it was going to be pelvic measuring as they only have one tool (For pelvic measuring) for the whole clinic but am i going to have to let them know i want a full RTS (do they need to bring more tools)
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:30 pm

It's manual.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:It's manual.

Ok thanks :tiphat:
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

ez14 wrote:thanks everyone for the help. what do people think about RCR Stetson T17 Simmental Bull.

He only looks good ahead of his front shoulders...he's not for me, I'd go with uno mas before him.

I wouldn't go the hereford route either.

As for a cough, try to keep them in fresh air. A closed up barn gets damp, and causes a cough. Damp weather could be it too
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”