Need advice on a terminal bull please

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21068
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Willicd wrote:I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?



Brangus
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Willicd wrote:I dont sell 6mo old calves that weigh 300# i sell 4mo calves that weigh 300#! I have 2 good registerd charolais bulls and an angus composite i use on heifers. I sell light not because they are inferior animals, but because i dont care to be docked for an "inferior" mindset toward them. I am wanting a bull i can put on the retained heifers and wean at 6-8 mo and 500-700#. I was looking for black hide because thats what brings a premium in this area.


If your wanting that then I would stick with the Charolais. They will wean that heavy and you will still have the black hide influence with the grays. If you can wean calves as heavy as your wanting then if they bring premium or not you will be fine. Black hide is dominate here as well but our solid whites and yellows sell right with them. You can never go wrong with Charolais.

I don't know if that first sentence was a jab at me or not but I hope it wasn't. What is the bloodlines of your Charolais Bulls? They sound look good Bulls.

I like CBs advice as well Brangus wouldn't be a bad bull to use as well if your wanting to keep the black hide but I still think Charolais is your best choice.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 am

Willicd wrote:I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?



If it were me instead of retaining heifers that are longhorn, corriente influence I'd get some nice be brangus cows.
Jim Saul in Turkey has some really nice cattle( Steiner genetics) and sells heifers and might talk him out of some cows. He owns the feed store there in Turkey, so he easy to find.
It'd be a lot quicker start on getting good cows
Just my 2cents
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:42 am

Nothing wrong with half longhorn cows, and their calves will be 3/4 beef anyways and they won't show any hints of being part longhorn. No reason for him to get rid of half longhorn cows at all.
0 x

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Big Cheese » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:52 am

Why get rid of something that is obviously working for him? Having that Longhorn influence in you cow is a very good thing especially with the pasture land he says he has.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 am

Big Cheese wrote:Why get rid of something that is obviously working for him? Having that Longhorn influence in you cow is a very good thing especially with the pasture land he says he has.


I understood it wasn't working and he was trying to retain heifers that he described as decent.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:34 am

Cross-7 wrote:
Big Cheese wrote:Why get rid of something that is obviously working for him? Having that Longhorn influence in you cow is a very good thing especially with the pasture land he says he has.


I understood it wasn't working and he was trying to retain heifers that he described as decent.

It could be working for him just fine. He just weaned them too early and to be fair black Angus isn't best breed to cross with longhorns and Corrientes. But he's just asking for terminal bulls, not which bulls for retaining heifers out of half longhorns.
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3706
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Rafter S » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Willicd wrote:I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?



Brangus


I agree. You're in Texas. A little ear is a good thing.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:55 am

A Purebred Red Simmental.
0 x

Willicd
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Willicd » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:02 am

Cross-7 wrote:
Willicd wrote:I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?



If it were me instead of retaining heifers that are longhorn, corriente influence I'd get some nice be brangus cows.
Jim Saul in Turkey has some really nice cattle( Steiner genetics) and sells heifers and might talk him out of some cows. He owns the feed store there in Turkey, so he easy to find.
It'd be a lot quicker start on getting good cows
Just my 2cents


Are you talking about valley peanut when you say feed store? I use this type cow out of necessity not necessarily desire. The easy calving easy keeping qualities make my life much more pleasant. I have no issues with the LH/charolais or LH/angus heifers i am retaining i am simply needing opinions on the best breed of bull to put on them for terminal calves. I like the brangus idea IF i can find a good one.
0 x

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Big Cheese » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:14 pm

With what your wanting I would definitely stick with the Charolais but Brangus is a good second choice. Better then Angus in my opinion.
0 x

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7103
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Location: North Arkansas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Begert Limousin Allison Texas. Lawrence family limousin Anton Texas. If either of these folks are close enough to you I can give you phone numbers. Limousin will add beef to your calves.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Willicd wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:
Willicd wrote:I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?



If it were me instead of retaining heifers that are longhorn, corriente influence I'd get some nice be brangus cows.
Jim Saul in Turkey has some really nice cattle( Steiner genetics) and sells heifers and might talk him out of some cows. He owns the feed store there in Turkey, so he easy to find.
It'd be a lot quicker start on getting good cows
Just my 2cents


Are you talking about valley peanut when you say feed store? I use this type cow out of necessity not necessarily desire. The easy calving easy keeping qualities make my life much more pleasant. I have no issues with the LH/charolais or LH/angus heifers i am retaining i am simply needing opinions on the best breed of bull to put on them for terminal calves. I like the brangus idea IF i can find a good one.


That'd be him
IMO you can't beat a brangus cow in that country and put a char, angus,limo bull on them to take off little ear.
If you like the LH cross cows I think the char bulls would be what you're wanting.
Brangus wouldn't be a bad choice but I've used brangus on corriente type cows( black and horned) and I didn't like the cross. It put some frame on the calves but not a lot of muscle
0 x

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby Big Cheese » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:55 pm

We use Charolais on Longhorn or Corriente cows mostly. We still have a few full beef cows and a few Longhorn cross cows but mostly Longhorns. Our three Charolais bulls are all different. One is a tall and lean bull, one is a really thick bull, and the other is a normal Charolais tall and thick. By looking at calves out of all three bulls I thought the tall lean was the better option (which is what a Brangus would be like) but once they get closer to 6-8 months old the really thick bull works the best. It puts more weight on them. So for Longhorns the thicker the bull the better.
0 x

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3023
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Need advice on a terminal bull please

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:48 pm

I like Char bulls or a Charbray. I know a guy using a Beefmaster bull on Longhorn and crosses not bad results the bull came from Casey up in Albany TX.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests