jersey crossbreds

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: jersey crossbreds

Postby TexasBred » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

AmericanNomad wrote:Has anybody had experience with Jersey/Scottish Highland cross? I'm thinking about trying to breed for a milk cow that can thrive in northern winters.

Well that will definitely get you a long haired "half" milk cow anyway. Don't know how productive it would be.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:59 am

can you imagine clipping the udder area so that you could find the teats? Image
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

showmomof2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showmomof2 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:22 pm

We have two young jersey heifers bred to hereford bull. Anxiously waiting the results!
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 am

showmomof2 wrote:We have two young jersey heifers bred to hereford bull. Anxiously waiting the results!

They should be nice brindles!
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Jersey x Gir Leiteiro is your best Jersey x Brahman cross
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

bhooper wrote:What is it that people like about the Brahman Jersey cross?

A calf raising machine. Smaller size and udders don't break down as bad as the Holstein x Brahman.
0 x

jerseylover14
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jerseylover14 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:44 pm

It is highly unlikely that you will find jersey/ brahaman crosses due to the fact that by breeding a small breed of cows such as jerseys to large brahaman bulls would greatly by diminish calving ease. Which is a major factor that most dairy farms breed for so they don't loose as many cows and calves due to birthing complications. Plus many farmers don't want to have to pull calves unnecessarily. Jersey calves tend to weigh between 25-50lbs at birth, and beef calves are much larger 75-170lb and some even heavier.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:10 pm

jerseylover14 wrote:It is highly unlikely that you will find jersey/ brahaman crosses due to the fact that by breeding a small breed of cows such as jerseys to large brahaman bulls would greatly by diminish calving ease. Which is a major factor that most dairy farms breed for so they don't loose as many cows and calves due to birthing complications. Plus many farmers don't want to have to pull calves unnecessarily. Jersey calves tend to weigh between 25-50lbs at birth, and beef calves are much larger 75-170lb and some even heavier.

Welcome to the forum, and I don't like to jump new members, but are you sure about your figures? While it may happen, I believe newborn calves anywhere close to 170lbs are exceptionally rare.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:38 pm

I know this thread is old, but it wouldn't bother me if event cow in my pasture had a little jersey in it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:58 pm

jerseylover14 wrote:It is highly unlikely that you will find jersey/ brahaman crosses due to the fact that by breeding a small breed of cows such as jerseys to large brahaman bulls would greatly by diminish calving ease. Which is a major factor that most dairy farms breed for so they don't loose as many cows and calves due to birthing complications. Plus many farmers don't want to have to pull calves unnecessarily. Jersey calves tend to weigh between 25-50lbs at birth, and beef calves are much larger 75-170lb and some even heavier.

Jersey x Brahman cross is occasionally produced in the South but its not rare cross. It's rare for a jersey cow have any birth trouble due to their pelvic size so they just farted a calf out. Our neighbor has a bull that is half Jersey half Belgian Blue (dam is a jersey). But a 170lbs newborn calf is extremely rare in many beef breeds.
0 x

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 am

this is my 1/2 Jersey 1/4 Highland 1/8 Angus 1/8 Herford due with her first calf March 10th
bred to a Jersey , she is polled
Suzanne

0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

jerseylover14
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jerseylover14 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 am

Rafter S wrote:

Welcome to the forum, and I don't like to jump new members, but are you sure about your figures? While it may happen, I believe newborn calves anywhere close to 170lbs are exceptionally rare.

You are right 170lbs was a bit of an exaggeration, 75-150lbs would have been more correct. However, it is still rare that a Jersey farmer would breed jersey cows to anything as large as a brahaman bull. I have owned jerseys all my life, and the largest bull I have ever bred my cows to was a hereford. Even though the my cows had never had any calving issues before i had to pull calves from this cross as they were exceptionally large through the head and shoulders. The calves were between 75-100lbs. That's just my personal experience.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 pm

jerseylover14 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

You are right 170lbs was a bit of an exaggeration, 75-150lbs would have been more correct. However, it is still rare that a Jersey farmer would breed jersey cows to anything as large as a brahaman bull. I have owned jerseys all my life, and the largest bull I have ever bred my cows to was a hereford. Even though the my cows had never had any calving issues before i had to pull calves from this cross as they were exceptionally large through the head and shoulders. The calves were between 75-100lbs. That's just my personal experience.

You can find a calving ease bull in any breed. :welcome:
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Nomad,
I'd be recommending you use a Milking Shorthorn rather than a Highland, over that Jersey cow. You'd get plenty of hair and toughness to handle a tough winter... and better milk production.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:09 pm

JWBrahman wrote:Jersey x Gir Leiteiro is your best Jersey x Brahman cross

One of the best looking herd of beef cows I've seen in a while belong to a dairyman over in East Texas. Breeds his jerseys to red brahman bulls. Those cattle are awesome.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Got Milk?”