Opinion?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Opinion?

Postby holm25 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 pm

I see. I would love to show steers but have decided to go with heifers since they wouldn't be slaughtered. I get attached too easily! But I have come to realize culling is necessary.
0 x

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 pm

VCC wrote:She is not a bad heifer, just a little plainer made than a show heifer, she slopes a little to much from hooks to pins and is narrower in the rear and if you're going up against a show type heifer you going to get sorted quickly.
The bull will help add some look but he is also going to add some leather at the same time, nothing wrong with that if your
producing beef but it gets knocked down in the show ring. Breed her for a live calf this time and then next time start looking for a bull that will add some rear and a little look to her, Try an Ali(Clone), Dirty Hairy, I-80 (both Ali sons) the next go round and see how they work on her, they start small and really turn it on as they grow, but will add a little show to them, and you can keep the heifers since all three bulls are TH and PHA clean.

Yep! The bull definitely needs to be a proven cow changer. Who Made Who would be another option. Whatever the bull, he needs to be very fancy fronted and VERY square hipped. I don't think the bull in the picture will do what you want, but getting calf #1 on the ground is top priority.
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

shortybreeder
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby shortybreeder » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:33 pm

I agree with what's been said about a live calf first time. I'd maybe try I-80 on the 2nd round, but I don't think he will fix her rear third. He'll add look and a nice front, but I'm doubtful he will put enough butt on her to be competitive, and if you get a steer... well there's always next year. Now I know he hasn't sired any calves yet, but Rockstar would be an intriguing choice for her IMO. The MAB would give her the extra power she needs, and one would hope that he will pass on his nice clean front. Steers wouldn't be worthless, and heifers should be a move in the right direction, with plenty of future breeding options for them.
Also, the comment about getting heifers you can register is a very valid one, but it's hard to justify a membership for 1 heifer.
P.S. I just looked, and Rockstar is a TH carrier
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:38 pm

So here is a not so good pic of the bull. I need to get better pics but we r busy turkey hunting this week. He is 15 months and weighs 1,430lbs.
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 am

He is not going to give you a show animal, he will give you a commercial type steer or heifer, he is not going to improve your heifer but a live calf is your goal for your heifer this year. Next year, to improve her calves you are going to have to AI and I would go with a PB bull since she is a cross bred. You need a bull that has the characteristics your heifer is lacking in.
There are several bulls out there that will help, this bull will add things you do not want on your next heifer for the showring.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 04, 2016 12:48 am

holm25 wrote:The bull she is going to be bred to is a SimAngus. He has a 75-80 pound nothing weight. She will be 3 years old when she first calves. And she is over 5ft tall at 2 so I think she's gonna be a big cow.

Ya think? :D
5 x 12 = 60 inches
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 pm

That comment confuses me a little. Lol I am not the brightest bulb in the box!
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm

holm25 wrote:That comment confuses me a little. Lol I am not the brightest bulb in the box!

59" female at 30 months of age = frame score 9
at 60" we're talking top 1% with 1600+ lb mature weight
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 05, 2016 9:32 pm

VCC wrote:The bull you pictured has an excess amount of skin from the brisket to his throat. A Simmental trait.
Most of your show calves are clean necked, sometimes to the extreme.
Are looking to breed show steers or heifers? If it is heifers you need to try and breed something you can paper, steers, it does not matter.

The Crossbred heifers that do well in shows tend to look like this one:
the hard part is trying to get the look and keep them real world at the same time.

Good posting VCC
A picture certainly is worth a 1,000 words.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am

Son of Butch wrote:
VCC wrote:The bull you pictured has an excess amount of skin from the brisket to his throat. A Simmental trait.
Most of your show calves are clean necked, sometimes to the extreme.
Are looking to breed show steers or heifers? If it is heifers you need to try and breed something you can paper, steers, it does not matter.

The Crossbred heifers that do well in shows tend to look like this one:
the hard part is trying to get the look and keep them real world at the same time.

Good posting VCC
A picture certainly is worth a 1,000 words.

Very true!
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:01 am

Son of Butch wrote:
holm25 wrote:That comment confuses me a little. Lol I am not the brightest bulb in the box!

59" female at 30 months of age = frame score 9
at 60" we're talking top 1% with 1600+ lb mature weight

Ooh I see now. Thanks!
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 am

This heifer looks nothing like the one you pictured! And the bull is cleaning up nicely! We brushed him down and used a show comb to fluff him up a little bit.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Thu May 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Yep cleaning up nicely.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:55 pm

They sure are!
0 x

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 am

holm25 wrote:Looking for better show calves.

Then you must start with a better matron than the one you've posted....
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

Return to “Show Board”