Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2016

Postby slick4591 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Seemed like it took forever for ours to turn, but they did. I'd suggest just waiting.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm

:) Maybe get some birds to peck them....... :???:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:58 pm

I've got plenty of Yardbirds trying to Peck my tomatoes vette 'believe me'(Donald Trump voice). That's what the electric fence is for.I've got enough peppers to make a good batch of salsa and at least a hundred big tomatoes they're just green as can be. I guess life is just unfair sometimes. I guess I'll just keep freezing the peppers and waiting on the tomatoes.
I also gave up on the watermelons and cut them out. I think the chickens where eating the small melons that where growing outside of the electric fence. I think I will try melons by themselves next year. They get out of control quickly.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:07 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Thanks for the compliments! I have a tomato question also. Why aren't ours ripening? Lots of big tomatoes they're just not turning red. Same thing happened last year. Should we prune them more?

I'd cut back on water. Make em get a little thirsty and they should go to turning for you. They may be too happy.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ohiosteve wrote:Thanks for the compliments! I have a tomato question also. Why aren't ours ripening? Lots of big tomatoes they're just not turning red. Same thing happened last year. Should we prune them more?

I'd cut back on water. Make em get a little thirsty and they should go to turning for you. They may be too happy.

They look about done for
100 degree heat and low humity is hard on everything
They really wilt and look sad without water :D
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:26 pm

I've been watering every evening. I've got Grade A soil under those 'maters. Zero weeds and temps have been in the 90's with high humidity. Maybe they are too happy. I'm going to stop watering starting now and see what happens. And G-Prime, I've got some brandywine that are looking real promising.I've set aside some of my best bacon and lettuce and now I wait........
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:23 pm

Cross-7 wrote:I had a tomato plant that turned brown, leaves curled up but parts were still producing
It's been a 100 plus everyday for weeks so I thought it wasn't getting enough water so I really watered well, but it died anyway.

Now the rest are beginning to do the same
Any idea what's wrong ?

Mine are browning too. I just figured it was the heat. A guy at church said he thought it was a fungus of some kind.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Maybe that's how they make salsa verde.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 pm

ohiosteve wrote:I've been watering every evening. I've got Grade A soil under those 'maters. Zero weeds and temps have been in the 90's with high humidity. Maybe they are too happy. I'm going to stop watering starting now and see what happens. And G-Prime, I've got some brandywine that are looking real promising.I've set aside some of my best bacon and lettuce and now I wait........

Two thumbs up on the Brandywines. Same type of tomato as the Prudens Purple and shares the same supreme flavor, texture, and juiciness. You can hardly tell the two apart. CottageFarm called them potato-leafed tomatoes.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Mater juicin today

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Pretty good haul there, HD.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

3LEGGED1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 3LEGGED1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Gee, Hd that looks awesome .I don't what I did,but my tomatoes died a horrible death. To much cow shyt I guess. Look like your set for winter. You should proud.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Nice work HD.
I read today that tomatoes won't ripen at high temperatures. That means air temps and soil temps. I figured it was time to remove the black plastic since it was super freaking duper hot. I removed it and put some straw down instead this evening and that should cool the soil some. It's not Texas hot here but we have had several days in the 90's. I also put ice cubes at the base of each tomato plant.
Just kidding about the ice cubes but I did take the plastic off and put straw down.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:08 pm

It's been hot here. High 90s for a couple of weeks, high humidity. We might get one more pickin, maybe a quarter of that.

I love tomato juice.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:47 pm

That's incredible HD :clap:
I'd be happy with a 1/4 of that
0 x

Return to “Gardening”