Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Tear him apart but tell me I got my money worth

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:10 pm

0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:30 pm

angus9259 wrote:You can't tell anything from those pictures in terms of his phenotype except that he looks light and feminine - but even that's a guess because of the picture quality.

If you paid more than $1 a lb (in this area) without EPDs, knowing his sire and dam's production history, or seeing his calves, then you did not get your money's worth. In my opinion.

Pics aren't the best but from what I've seen you got a great buy.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 am

A little more muscling would be nice.. two cents worth.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 am

Yep he wasnt as full as a premium bull. I only haven 16 head right now with 3 more calves on the way. Still buying cows off and on but some of the ones I have are heifers which I wont use him on.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 am

elkwc wrote:Pics aren't the best but from what I've seen you got a great buy.

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area would get about $1 per lb - maybe less.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:04 am

Is he brangus bull, or a black bull with a little ear?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:10 am

angus9259 wrote:

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area would get about $1 per lb - maybe less.

He knows who the sire and dam is. So IMO not a non parentage bull. EPD's don't mean much here nor do papers. I know several selling commercial raised Bulls and most are selling for 3,500-6,000 with one that brought ten thousand. When you run their progeny through the sale barn it is quality and performance that determines the price.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 am

angus9259 wrote:

Interesting. If this is a great buy - what do you think he's worth? $2000? $3000? A non-parentage non-epd bull in my area daleballwould get about $1 per lb - maybe less.

You can buy them all day long here through the sale barn for less than a dollar a pound. Good looking yearling bulls its buyer beware of course as you have no clue on EPDs or BSE.

His worth is what you can for him at the at the salebarn no different than any other commercial operations bull.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:57 am

elkwc wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

He knows who the sire and dam is. So IMO not a non parentage bull. EPD's don't mean much here nor do papers. I know several selling commercial raised Bulls and most are selling for 3,500-6,000 with one that brought ten thousand. When you run their progeny through the sale barn it is quality and performance that determines the price.

Well great news for him then! If I just bought a bull for $1600 that I could sell for $3500-6000 I'd be on selling that bull before he died or got broke :banana:

Where are you from that commercial raised bulls are getting that much?
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:27 pm

angus9259 wrote:
elkwc wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

Well great news for him then! If I just bought a bull for $1600 that I could sell for $3500-6000 I'd be on selling that bull before he died or got broke :banana:

Where are you from that commercial raised bulls are getting that much?

The commercial bulls here in Texas were going for $2000-$3000 when I bought him. At the auction it is beef price but you dont really get a chance to talk to the owners or get a good history on them and only the meat packers bid on them around my area. From the cattle sales groups on Facebook and craigslist, Texas private cattle sales seem higher then other states. I see cheaper prices in other states then compared to here. Thats private sales, not auction.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Is he brangus bull, or a black bull with a little ear?

Brangus, momma and sire are both black brangus.
0 x

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:10 pm

My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:47 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

Very well said.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:38 pm

I agree, that's quit a bit of bull for the money.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:51 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:My two cents, I think that you could do a lot worse for $1600. For where you are with your herd, and for what you're trying to do, I think you did really good. No, he's not "perfect", but he's a really good step in the right direction and KUDOS to you for going out and trying to do the best you could do with what you had to work with. You're only a little over an hour away from us, and so I know what kind of bulls a lot of people put out in their pastures in this part of Texas. Whatever's cheap, and it's usually not black. Good luck with him! I think he's a good start.

Well stated. Summarizes my thoughts. EPD's doesn't make a bull. So many are low accuracy that most of the very successful well respected commercial breeders in this area don't use them. They like me like to see actual BW,WW and YW. And knowing the sire and at least the sire of the dam are good but not required by many. And some of those selling non papered bulls provide at least part of these.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”