Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2016

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Sky, when I spray in the garden I take a milk jug and cut the bottom off and notch the lid and fit it over the nozzle of the sprayer. You can use it to shove right up next to most plants and spray under them. For fine work when it's already overgrown strait roundup in a jar with a paintbrush works great.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Hey my gardens going to be weed free too :cowboy: :D

Are you trying no-till gardening.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:06 pm

:lol2: everything is getting sprayed except sweet taters and I'll cut corn for cows.. I hope to have it planted in 2 weeks
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:41 am

San Marzano tomatoes
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Those look good GP
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 am

Jogeephus wrote:Those look good GP

They look good but they are not so good sliced and eaten fresh, at least not with the traditional salt and pepper treatment. Pretty tasty though with a sprinkling of garlic powder and oregano. Reputedly the best in the world for Italian cooking, I'm going to try something of that nature with them.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:24 am

Winter garden, needs weeding and harvesting to thin out those cabbages. It's about time now to start seeds for the summer garden, indoors. October is outdoor planting time for the frost-tender plants.
Putting last year's summer garden back into lawn has been a disaster - all weeds very little grass.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Rego, the prescription for that is make salad one night out of those lettuces and the next night make a stir fry out of those cabbages, then go in with some glyphosate Or, if you're organically inclined cover it in plastic and let solar radiation do the job on the unwanted vegetation.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14 pm

ga.prime wrote:Rego, the prescription for that is make salad one night out of those lettuces and the next night make a stir fry out of those cabbages, then go in with some glyphosate Or, if you're organically inclined cover it in plastic and let solar radiation do the job on the unwanted vegetation.

I coulda made the photo bigger... the square with the lettuces/cabbages/carrots/lobelia is so crowded there are no weeds.
Behind the little raised square is spinach, kale, broccoli, cauli, more cabbages &c and it has weeds between the rows - but they will be easily dislodged by hand or hoe when I have time.
Glyphosate isn't working for me. The new lawn was sprayed, fallowed, sprayed after the summer garden and before sowing down with grass. I should have sprayed with a broadleaf killer to give the grass a chance, at least a month ago... but what can I say, we're five weeks into calving and the weeds are all flowering now.
The summer garden is lawn I sprayed out with glyphosate last autumn and dumped any organic material I had on as mulch to suppress weeds over winter - not a chance, it's full of weeds but the surface is crumbly and the weeds will be easily dislodged when I'm ready to plant. Doing it now would be a headstart but time is at a premium during calving season - and yes, glyphosate would be a quick fix... maybe ...temporarily.
There's sweetpeas back there against the hedge but I think the birds have scratched most of them out - shame, there would have been at least 120 seedlings planted along that hedge. The birds are the reason I can't cover crop over winter, they eat all the seeds. With help from slugs and snails.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Here's what my garden looks like about two weeks after glyphosate application.

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:31 am

ga.prime wrote:Here's what my garden looks like about two weeks after glyphosate application.

I am doing the same
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:07 am

Garden is coming on gang busters. The corn is starting to form ears. Broccoli is just starting. We picked the first green beans last night. We are just about two days away from needing to can a ton of beans. The trouble is through careful planning the pressure cooker and jars are at the wife's place in Goldendale which is about 200 miles from this place. We are going there this weekend so in the mean time I think beans are on the menu every night and we will pick the ripest ones and give them away.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am

I want you all to meet my Weed eaters they require no gas they require weeds. My cattle love when I pull weeds and toss it over to them especially rag weed.

0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:22 pm

I took a 2 gallon bucket of green beans to work early last week. The wife picked a 5 gallon bucket full to give to her Mom over the weekend. On Monday she picked a box full that weighed 31 pounds. We will finally have time to can over this weekend and there are still plenty of beans. All off one 40 foot row. Wife says she has never seen a garden produce like this. I told her all it takes is about a foot of composted cow manure and bedding. Works every time.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:20 pm

ga.prime wrote:CottageFarm, you probably don't remember from last year when you suggested I plant Prudens Purple in place of Brandywine in this years garden. Excellent suggestion! USDA prime.

Glad youre enjoying them, GP!
I always found them to be more productive and less susceptible to the many diseases that can make the heirlooms somewhat more challenging to grow.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Return to “Gardening”