Winter Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:22 pm

What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23432
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm straddling the fence and don't know if I'm planting anything or not. Really need to eat what we got put up and that might take a couple years or longer.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am

Jogeephus wrote:I'm straddling the fence and don't know if I'm planting anything or not. Really need to eat what we got put up and that might take a couple years or longer.


I am on the fence on whether to plant anything because its so dry now. I bought the plants and its so hot even watering them everyday in their cells is not making them thrive.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28278
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.

Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:08 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.

Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.


What variety of collards the only ones I like are champion.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14534
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:09 am

I'm feeding round bales in my garden this winter.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:15 am

greybeard wrote:I'm feeding round bales in my garden this winter.


Seriously ? Maybe I should take a year off and put some hogs and goats/horse in mine. My grandpa use to take horse manure and compost it then put on onions those things were the size of grapefruits and strong as crap.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Curly Kale and Curly Mustard

Image

Image

all that green is turnips purple top

Image

Image
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1973
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Image

Red cabbage. Green cabbage. Brussel sprouts. Collards. Broccolli. This is the first time we've done a winter garden.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Image

Red cabbage. Green cabbage. Brussel sprouts. Collards. Broccolli. This is the first time we've done a winter garden.


Nice.. I wish you luck I sure hope that you are getting more rain than I am cause im getting ready to put some soaker hoses out for them
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1973
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks and no we aren't getting any rain. We have been watering three times a day to keep the ground soaked. We talked about soakers but I don't think we will spend the money for them right now.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Thanks and no we aren't getting any rain. We have been watering three times a day to keep the ground soaked. We talked about soakers but I don't think we will spend the money for them right now.


We are watering in the evenings but I am using a t post mounted sprinkler I got from tractor supply instead of soaker hoses
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Post Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:24 am

I just have have about 75+/- collard plants.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Post Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.

Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.


What variety of collards the only ones I like are champion.

I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:33 am

Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.


What variety of collards the only ones I like are champion.

I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.


I plant the plants because the winter garden period is too short to start from seeds.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.


Return to “Gardening”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest