Winter Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Winter Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:22 pm

What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm straddling the fence and don't know if I'm planting anything or not. Really need to eat what we got put up and that might take a couple years or longer.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am

Jogeephus wrote:I'm straddling the fence and don't know if I'm planting anything or not. Really need to eat what we got put up and that might take a couple years or longer.

I am on the fence on whether to plant anything because its so dry now. I bought the plants and its so hot even watering them everyday in their cells is not making them thrive.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.

Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:08 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:What all is everyone planting its time ? I am doing collards and curly kale and mustard cabbage broccoli and turnips. I am not planting a lot because this years been strange as far as gardening goes. Its pretty dry here so I won't plant till after it rains.

Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.

What variety of collards the only ones I like are champion.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:09 am

I'm feeding round bales in my garden this winter.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:15 am

greybeard wrote:I'm feeding round bales in my garden this winter.

Seriously ? Maybe I should take a year off and put some hogs and goats/horse in mine. My grandpa use to take horse manure and compost it then put on onions those things were the size of grapefruits and strong as crap.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Curly Kale and Curly Mustard

all that green is turnips purple top

0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Red cabbage. Green cabbage. Brussel sprouts. Collards. Broccolli. This is the first time we've done a winter garden.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Image

Red cabbage. Green cabbage. Brussel sprouts. Collards. Broccolli. This is the first time we've done a winter garden.

Nice.. I wish you luck I sure hope that you are getting more rain than I am cause im getting ready to put some soaker hoses out for them
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks and no we aren't getting any rain. We have been watering three times a day to keep the ground soaked. We talked about soakers but I don't think we will spend the money for them right now.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Thanks and no we aren't getting any rain. We have been watering three times a day to keep the ground soaked. We talked about soakers but I don't think we will spend the money for them right now.

We are watering in the evenings but I am using a t post mounted sprinkler I got from tractor supply instead of soaker hoses
0 x

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:24 am

I just have have about 75+/- collard plants.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:33 am

Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Wife plans to plant a half dozen or so collard plants in one of her flower beds. Should keep us eating greens all winter.

I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.

I plant the plants because the winter garden period is too short to start from seeds.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”