Big or small dogs?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
micole88
Beginner
Beginner

Big or small dogs?

Postby micole88 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:23 pm

What are better?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Big or small dogs?

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Big dog in a small body Jack Russell
They are quirky little dogs need a special quirky owner
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Big dog = big poop
0 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:56 pm

tater74 wrote:Big dog = big poop

Big dogs can be taught to pinch off their big poop in the brush, woods, etc - not the yard :)
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:02 pm

micole88 wrote:What are better?

Better for what?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

micole88
Beginner
Beginner

Postby micole88 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 am

Rafter S wrote:

Better for what?

Better for children
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 am

micole88 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

Better for what?

Better for children

It's been my experience that larger dogs are often more easy-going and tolerant of children. Less quick to snap or bite because of the rough treatment children may unintentionally give them.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:43 am

I have found that a dog that is gentle with kittens will be gentle with children. even though there is no correlation it has more to do with the temperament of the animal.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Hate little yippie dogs that are annoying as snot and bite at your heels. Any kind of terrier (jack Russells are awful) or God forbid a chihuahua aren't my cup of tea.

Then dogs can get massively big too like St. Bernard, Great Dane and have hip and joint problems and much shorter lives (some other dogs like German shepherd can still be massive too). I agree that bigger dogs usually seem to have better temperaments (what do they have to prove?)

So I think medium sized dog and good temperament are probably best but it's all personal preference.
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 pm

NECowboy wrote:Hate little yippie dogs that are annoying as snot and bite at your heels. Any kind of terrier (jack Russells are awful) or God forbid a chihuahua aren't my cup of tea.

Then dogs can get massively big too like St. Bernard, Great Dane and have hip and joint problems and much shorter lives (some other dogs like German shepherd can still be massive too). I agree that bigger dogs usually seem to have better temperaments (what do they have to prove?)

So I think medium sized dog and good temperament are probably best but it's all personal preference.

I won't own anything but a Russell
Russell's are tough smart fearless dogs that need a firm kind hand.
They are special little dogs that need owners that understand the breed.
Got one laying in my lap right now.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
NECowboy wrote:Hate little yippie dogs that are annoying as snot and bite at your heels. Any kind of terrier (jack Russells are awful) or God forbid a chihuahua aren't my cup of tea.

I won't own anything but a Russell
Russell's are tough smart fearless dogs that need a firm kind hand.
They are special little dogs that need owners that understand the breed.
Got one laying in my lap right now.

I agree. They're great dogs, but the OP was asking about a dog for children. Would a Jack Russell be a good choice?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:03 pm

No I would not recommend them for little kids. They are hunting dogs that need a job from ratting in the barn to tackling any varmit that doesn't belong.
With proper training and work they are calm well mannered dogs
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm

Both sizes have have their advantages and disadvantages with kids. I've had big dogs all my life, and since Ive been married I have acquired 4 little yappers. 2 of the little ones are great and tolerant with our 1 year old son, the other two are afraid of him, and will growl at him sometimes if he's next to them and they are afraid he is gonna get rough with them. We have to be careful that he doesn't accidentally hurt one of them with their small size and him not understanding how to be gentle with them yet. Our farm dogs- a golden retriever and black lab are great with him and try to be gentle, but sometimes can accidentally knock him down just because of their size and their high energy level. One good place you might check is if there are any rescue groups around. They have all ages, shapes, and sizes and can tell you a lot about a dog if they have had them a while and worked with them. Like if they are good with other animals and kids, any bad habits or fears, and what their personality is.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 pm

A.J. wrote:Both sizes have have their advantages and disadvantages with kids. I've had big dogs all my life, and since Ive been married I have acquired 4 little yappers. 2 of the little ones are great and tolerant with our 1 year old son, the other two are afraid of him, and will growl at him sometimes if he's next to them and they are afraid he is gonna get rough with them. We have to be careful that he doesn't accidentally hurt one of them with their small size and him not understanding how to be gentle with them yet. Our farm dogs- a golden retriever and black lab are great with him and try to be gentle, but sometimes can accidentally knock him down just because of their size and their high energy level. One good place you might check is if there are any rescue groups around. They have all ages, shapes, and sizes and can tell you a lot about a dog if they have had them a while and worked with them. Like if they are good with other animals and kids, any bad habits or fears, and what their personality is.

Excellent suggestion about the rescues.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Dachshund and a Great Pyrenees here. They make a great pair. The GP let's the Doxie think she's winning every war they have. Both are great with kids but the Doxie is a big possessive of everything.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”