Big dreams, big ears

Let us know who you are.
Lorreli
Beginner
Beginner

Big dreams, big ears

Postby Lorreli » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Husband mentioned, "Why don't we do cows?" So I started looking. And dreaming. Now its moved to planning. I realise the proper term is cattle. We plan to buy a 15 acre parcel currently used for grazing cattle and put a manufactured home on it. Then we will make a couple pastures and a working pen. Grab 3 bred cows from the sale barn. Hatch them out, er... calve them out, I also raise American Game Fowl. Wean the calves at 6-7 months, hold for month or two and sell them at the sale barn and cull any of the cows that aren't nice. Adjust number of cows for what the land will support. Second stage is to buy 10-50 acres of pasture and raise open heifers to bred heifers and sell them, possibly calving some out based on the market. Open to any and all advice, suggestions and rumors. Have big ears and a working brain to harvest the information.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Big dreams, big ears

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Sounds like a plan, good luck and welcome.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Post where your at regional get help from your area.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:23 pm

It sounds like you have a plan all worked out. Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Lorreli wrote:Husband mentioned, "Why don't we do cows?" So I started looking. And dreaming. Now its moved to planning. I realise the proper term is cattle. We plan to buy a 15 acre parcel currently used for grazing cattle and put a manufactured home on it. Then we will make a couple pastures and a working pen. Grab 3 bred cows from the sale barn. Hatch them out, er... calve them out, I also raise American Game Fowl. Wean the calves at 6-7 months, hold for month or two and sell them at the sale barn and cull any of the cows that aren't nice. Adjust number of cows for what the land will support. Second stage is to buy 10-50 acres of pasture and raise open heifers to bred heifers and sell them, possibly calving some out based on the market. Open to any and all advice, suggestions and rumors. Have big ears and a working brain to harvest the information.

Fighting chickens ? :D
0 x

Lorreli
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Lorreli » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Amercan Game Fowl are indeed fighting chickens. I don't fight, have never even seen a fight but I breed them and sell them. They are beautiful creatures, quite magnificent.

I live in Pierson which is just north of the 40 and 17 crossing.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Lorreli wrote:Husband mentioned, "Why don't we do cows?" So I started looking. And dreaming. Now its moved to planning. I realise the proper term is cattle. We plan to buy a 15 acre parcel currently used for grazing cattle and put a manufactured home on it. Then we will make a couple pastures and a working pen. Grab 3 bred cows from the sale barn. Hatch them out, er... calve them out, I also raise American Game Fowl. Wean the calves at 6-7 months, hold for month or two and sell them at the sale barn and cull any of the cows that aren't nice. Adjust number of cows for what the land will support. Second stage is to buy 10-50 acres of pasture and raise open heifers to bred heifers and sell them, possibly calving some out based on the market. Open to any and all advice, suggestions and rumors. Have big ears and a working brain to harvest the information.

That's where they won the money to buy the land and cattle. :lol:
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:

Easy now
Don't be unfriendly
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Post where your at regional get help from your area.

Post on the other thread said Central Florida.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

ez14
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:

Easy now
Don't be unfriendly
unfriendly? Just asking about their chickens
0 x
with your shield or on it

Lorreli
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Lorreli » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Post where your at regional get help from your area.

Post on the other thread said Central Florida.

I didn't start the other thread. I am more northeastern florida. But I do travel to Ocala and other areas for anything of interest.
0 x

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:00 am

Welcome to the boards :welcome:
0 x

Arkansas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Arkansas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Welcome from Arkansas, Home of the hillbilly :)
0 x
Sorry about my grammar/punctuation, I'm from Arkansas! "Whats your excuse" :) 2B1ASK1

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”