Calf sales

Let us know who you are.
Rossjones121
Beginner
Beginner

Calf sales

Postby Rossjones121 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:55 am

We have a small operation and have about 20 400 lb steers. When should I sell to get the most I can in this declining market.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Calf sales

Postby ClinchValley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:34 am

Key word...declining…as in will probably get worse. So either now IMO, or next year if you are able to hold them back.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 am

They will only cost you more money the longer you hold them.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:27 am

If you have plenty of pasture and hay I would hold them until April and sell as 7 weights. If not no time like the present.
Would also help if you have a neighbor that could use them to make a full load, will bring a little more that way.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Sal
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Sal » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi New to the board and could use some advice/help. This IS my first rodeo. Took delivery of 2, 6 month old hereford "steer" April of this year. They weighed about 550-600 lbs on delivery and were weaned. Weighed them the other day and their both 955#'s and healthy. A few months ago we started giving them some "all stock" as a socialization technique and their doing well in that regard. (1 gallon each every other day or so) FYI they are being raised for beef.
2 months ago a friend noticed that one guy had a testacle. He has cattle and said if raising them for beef it really doesn't make for a problem. Spoke with the person we bought them from and he said the same thing. The person running the local FFA said we should have the testi removed. A Vet agreed and said the testi would add hormones to the animal and could result in a gamey flavor. The cows are now 13 months old - WHAT TO DO??? HELP WELCOMED
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Don;t bother with it. You'll be butchering them fairly soon so just leave them alone. He may be a little bullish but it won;t affect the meat
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:50 pm

If you are going to butcher them soon I wouldn't worry about it either. Since you didn't really notice it until your friend said something I assume that he is not acting bullish. When do you plan on butchering them? Since they are at 955 lbs now I assume probably by spring if not before? They will be tender enough since they aren't even 18 months yet. Don't stress him and cause more adrenaline in his system that might give him a gamier flavor. The testicle may not have much activity in it if he was banded and it just now dropped some; the high body heat will slow the development and he might not have much testosterone from it anyway. Alot of guys on here eat young bulls and say the flavor is as good or better than steers.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”