Ritchie Waterer

Cattle problems.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Ritchie Waterer

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:50 am

Make the fences in a wagon wheel design with the water tank being the center of the wheel. At the wheel make that small area usable no matter which field they are grazing.
Use temporary fence to try different designs until to find what works best for you.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Believe it or not some folks think waterers are an unnecessary extravagance and waste of money.

I am not one of them but they do exist.

Used Combine tires are free, 1/4 yard of concrete is 25 bucks, Jobe float is 40 bucks. Will last my lifetime. The boys will push all my cow stuff up in a pile when I'm gone so its all good.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:54 pm

jedstivers wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Believe it or not some folks think waterers are an unnecessary extravagance and waste of money.

Used Combine tires are free, 1/4 yard of concrete is 25 bucks, Jobe float is 40 bucks. Will last my lifetime. The boys will push all my cow stuff up in a pile when I'm gone so its all good.

And that's freeze proof?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:15 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
jedstivers wrote:

And that's freeze proof?

That's the claim ,

http://www.giantrubberwatertanks.com/
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 pm

That hideous. I wouldn't have it in my pasture.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:That hideous. I wouldn't have it in my pasture.

To each his own. I guess I don't give a crap what other people think and dang sure don't try and keep up with the Jones`s.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:16 pm

I didn't say I was worried what other people would think, I merely voiced my opinion of what I thought where my own property was concerned.

The Jones' try to keep up with me.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 pm

If you tried some of the tire tanks you would take target practice at the ball troughs with a really nice Colt AR. :hide:
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:27 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

If you tried some of the tire tanks you would take target practice at the ball troughs with a really nice Colt AR. :hide:

Agree.... :clap: :clap: :clap: One other thing to think about. Several years ago we had a "deracchio" wind incident; lost power for 5 days right before July 4th. At least the cows had about a days worth of water in the big tanks and we hauled water to 5 different pastures for 5 days. Where there were the stupid ball waterers, we had to use 100 gal., water troughs, and the cows would drink them down, knock them over and try to knock me over when I was trying to get in to fill them. The big tire ones couldn't be knocked over and I could make enough trips to fill them after the cows drank their fill so that I didn't have to worry about them running out before I got back the next day. It was hot and a miserable week. The ritchie ones freeze here in the really cold weather and they do seem to have all sorts of little problems that we are constantly having to fix. May have something to do with the way they were installed (they are on rented pastures) but give me a big round tank anyday.

Agree totally with Kenny on the wagon wheel type design for the waterer in the middle of the field. Fence the center all around (square, round, or rectangle) and then have "gate openings" to each of the fields that they are grazing so that they can get into water and then back into the field you want them in. Have that type set up in one place we rent and it works good. Actually big enough around the waterer that we open the gate to the field across from the one they are in, they go that way once a few figure it is open, close the already grazed field off the next day... So what that they don't get grazed in a "clockwise" rotation...they get rotated the way it works best...
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:08 pm

The cows don't care what it looks like or who it impresses and even less, who it doesn't.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:46 am

We're constantly having problems with the Ritchie waterer in the barnyard; even with a screen it gets plugged up with sand and we have to readjust the float at least once a month. We have a well in one of the pastures, the stock tank is flush with the well house and the well house has a faucet that supplies the tank via a float. To keep the faucet from freezing we wrapped a heater cord around it & use a de-icer in the stock tank. It's not pretty (sorry, Tux :)) but it works great although they still prefer the pond.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:32 am

greybeard wrote:

The cows don't care what it looks like or who it impresses and even less, who it doesn't.

Post a picture of yours.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:34 am

TCRanch wrote:We're constantly having problems with the Ritchie waterer in the barnyard; even with a screen it gets plugged up with sand and we have to readjust the float at least once a month. We have a well in one of the pastures, the stock tank is flush with the well house and the well house has a faucet that supplies the tank via a float. To keep the faucet from freezing we wrapped a heater cord around it & use a de-icer in the stock tank. It's not pretty (sorry, Tux :)) but it works great although they still prefer the pond.

We actually use Behlen waterers and seldom have issues. Given a choice our cattle head for the ponds as well.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 am

kenny thomas wrote:

Please post a picture of your tire water tank as well Kenny.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:36 pm

I happen to have 2 of these just laying around

0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”