Ranch ropes

All about horses.
User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Ropes are all pretty much junk. Hondas turn in a matter days, it makes little difference what brand. I've been tying a metal Honda on ropes, after we've gotten the practice/competition use out of them. We then use them on the farm. Has any one ever bought a roll of 3 strand 3/8 rope and made your own ranch ropes? Nothing suitable is available locally. I'd have order it on line. Kinda nervous about ordering a roll unless I've held it in my hand. I actually prefer a softer rope than most people, but I don't want a dish rag. Know a company that sells what I'm looking for?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Eastern Nebraska

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby j_20 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Brighton feed and saddlery used to sell you however much you wanted but I just heard they went out of business. I think king will sell you a spool I use King Ropes ranch and calf ropes and really like them. I have some Dub Grant ropes that i like pretty good as well.Have you tried either of those? I too prefer a softer rope than most.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:52 pm

j_20 wrote:Brighton feed and saddlery used to sell you however much you wanted but I just heard they went out of business. I think king will sell you a spool I use King Ropes ranch and calf ropes and really like them. I have some Dub Grant ropes that i like pretty good as well.Have you tried either of those? I too prefer a softer rope than most.


I used to use Dub Grant ropes all the time. Got away from them over the years. Have owned a few Kings, but don't remember much about them. Liking a Willard calf rope more and more (prefer Viper, but none available).

Just got an email from a company I reached out to. They have 3 strand poly 8.0-10.0 for $1.19 a foot. That basically the same price as a finished rope. Crazy
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Eastern Nebraska

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby j_20 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:05 pm

At that price its worth a shot get some and tie on metal hondas and tie some with a regular honda i know a guy that just rosebuds heavy duty round rings on the end of his i just worry about getting a crazy cow or bull on the end and having my rosebud pull out
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:22 pm

j_20 wrote:At that price its worth a shot get some and tie on metal hondas and tie some with a regular honda i know a guy that just rosebuds heavy duty round rings on the end of his i just worry about getting a crazy cow or bull on the end and having my rosebud pull out


About a month or 6 weeks ago, I lost a metal Honda. Just had a hatchet knot on the end of the rope, and melted that with a piece of metal I had spot welded on. When the knot failed, the Honda flew over some trees and out of sight. It was whistling as it flew through the air. Couldn't help but think that thing would have left a mark if it had hit somebody.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Eastern Nebraska

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby j_20 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:57 pm

yes id say that might have hurt a bit. when tying on a honda i run it through and rosebud it, i feel that when the honda go under strain it will only tighten the knot but when the rosebud is tied around something and that goes under strain pulling on the inside of the knot thats when i get a little nervous. when i just tie a honda knot in the end and tie on a burner i just use an overhand knot as the stopper and fuse it on the end. i wont ever have a rope with a knot in the tail end, I once got in a little bit of a wreck roping on a young horse and the knot in the tail made things a lot worse ever since then if i get a rope that has one it gets cut off before I use it.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Local western store sells used ropes the rodeo guys have traded in I guess.
Usually 5 to 10 bucks and still plenty good for me.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1860
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Seems like I saw bulk rope on a reel but I can't for the life of me remember where.
It doesn't help much but I like a poly nylon blend 4 strand. The blends seem a little tougher. Not as stiff as nylon but tougher than poly.
I can't get used to the little 3/8 scant ropes.
I like a little more tip weight.
But I haven't roped anything in a long time.
If I come across it I'll let you know.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 pm

callmefence wrote:Local western store sells used ropes the rodeo guys have traded in I guess.
Usually 5 to 10 bucks and still plenty good for me.


Yeah, I don't won't to mislead ya. I'm not throwing ropes on the ground that have been used a few afternoons. When they lose their body and and start to lay funny we retire them, and use them on the farm. A calf rope for instance is about 28' long out of the box. Not a whole lot of room there roping calves in pasture to tag, vaccinate, band. Loading one in a trailer, it's really short. Even a heel rope is only 35'. A good usin rope is about 45' or even longer. All ropes are expensive, and ranch ropes are especially expensive. Then you get in to the 3 strand verses 4. I personally like a 3. Same diameter, but I think the 4 strands bounce. I hoped somebody on here knew a place to get a spool of 3 strand. Then I could cut to length, and attach a metal Honda. Or tie my own. The rope companies are wise in their ways though. It's as much by the foot, as it would be in a finished rope.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Seems like I saw bulk rope on a reel but I can't for the life of me remember where.
It doesn't help much but I like a poly nylon blend 4 strand. The blends seem a little tougher. Not as stiff as nylon but tougher than poly.
I can't get used to the little 3/8 scant ropes.
I like a little more tip weight.
But I haven't roped anything in a long time.
If I come across it I'll let you know.


I would appreciate that. Something like that wouldn't even exist here.

4 of us rope, almost daily. The rope bill is outrageous.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Eastern Nebraska

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby j_20 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 am

I checked last night, my last King ranch rope was $63 for a 45 ft 4 strand so $1.40 a ft that said I guess the 1.19 a ft price you were given doesnt sound great but its a little better if you can find a rope you like. I'd still be interested in going that route though. Have you checked Cowboy Cordage?
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:24 am

j_20 wrote:I checked last night, my last King ranch rope was $63 for a 45 ft 4 strand so $1.40 a ft that said I guess the 1.19 a ft price you were given doesnt sound great but its a little better if you can find a rope you like. I'd still be interested in going that route though. Have you checked Cowboy Cordage?


Browsed the web page a little.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

js1234
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby js1234 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:13 am

Allie Bear and Capriola's in Elko sell decent stuff by the roll, nylon, poly and cotton.
We may like a similar ranch rope, I like something like a MS, the XXXsoft that some of these companies insist on making all their ropes 40' and longer is silly. Other than roping horses for the next day or something like that, I don't see a lot of use for ropes XXXsoft.
For ranching, I was getting cases of Classic PowerLine Lite Medium Soft heel ropes that they'd do in 37' by the case. Great rope to brand with (we head and heel everything).
Doctoring outside, I like a Poly. 45' is plenty. Capriola's has been making some really great poly's for me for quite a few years. I rope on elk hide when working. It's a touch slower and grippier than mule hide but doesn't bite down anything like rubber so you run your dallys and ease a big yearling to a stop etc. It also helps ropes hold up quite a bit longer than rubber.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:26 am

js1234 wrote:Allie Bear and Capriola's in Elko sell decent stuff by the roll, nylon, poly and cotton.
We may like a similar ranch rope, I like something like a MS, the XXXsoft that some of these companies insist on making all their ropes 40' and longer is silly. Other than roping horses for the next day or something like that, I don't see a lot of use for ropes XXXsoft.
For ranching, I was getting cases of Classic PowerLine Lite Medium Soft heel ropes that they'd do in 37' by the case. Great rope to brand with (we head and heel everything).
Doctoring outside, I like a Poly. 45' is plenty. Capriola's has been making some really great poly's for me for quite a few years. I rope on elk hide when working. It's a touch slower and grippier than mule hide but doesn't bite down anything like rubber so you run your dallys and ease a big yearling to a stop etc. It also helps ropes hold up quite a bit longer than rubber.


Thanks. I will check them out. I have left a message at cowboy cordage, but they haven't called me back.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ranch ropes

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Cowboy cordage called me back. They will sell 120' of 3 strand, but it's about the same price per foot as there ranch ropes. Looks like ya might as well buy ranch ropes. No cheaper to tie your own.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Horse Talk!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest