Daily Inspiration!

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Re: Daily Inspiration!

Postby alisonb » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 am

hurleyjd wrote:Please do not discuss politics or religion on these Boards. You won't change anybody's mind, you'll just make them mad.

One of the rules for using this forum.

'Religion' is not being 'discussed' in this thread ;-)
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 am

Day 4- What does the Bible say about fear? Another verse that says, don't do it. I love what this one says...you don't need to fear because I (God) am with you! And not only is He with us, but He promises to strengthen, help and uphold us. There is nothing like the strength and help of God. Days when you think you can't go on, He will sustain you. He will be your strength. Trust Him and rest in the fact that He is with you.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you;I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 am

alisonb wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Please do not discuss politics or religion on these Boards. You won't change anybody's mind, you'll just make them mad.

One of the rules for using this forum.

'Religion' is not being 'discussed' in this thread ;-)

While I try not to talk religion and politics or world affairs on CT as well as most public places, I do pop in here once or twice a month. I don't think it can be considered lurking...can it? This thread has been going on for a year and a half and while it's technically against site rules I have always given it a pass in my eyes. I don't believe there is ever any words wrote in anger or name calling. It's just a bunch of CT folks enjoying their own conversation and sharing. Nothing wrong with that, for me it gets a pass.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:57 am

PREFACE: I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN but I find the Christian doctrine enjoyable. Philosophically, it stimulates as much wonder as the origins of the Universe. I have yet to meet a Christian who abides the following:

43. You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45. that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47. And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48. Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew.

The faithful of Christ aspire to follow his teachings and in falling short you often hear "Love the sinner but hate the sin." Perhaps the goodness is in the effort but what about when there is no effort? How many aspire to love their Islamic enemies?

Does it matter that the faithful flaunt some teachings? Or turn their head from it in acts that deliberately disobey such teachings as that cited above. Is there another verse that excuses the Christian from loving his Islamic enemies?
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:28 am

No where does the bible say "Hate the sin, love the sinner". That is a tradition that man came up with.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:02 am

TexasBred wrote:No where does the bible say "Hate the sin, love the sinner". That is a tradition that man came up with.

Acknowledged
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:16 am

TexasBred wrote:No where does the bible say "Hate the sin, love the sinner". That is a tradition that man came up with.
Last edited by hurleyjd on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 am

May have to move this thread to the vip section to keep the troll out
0 x

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:01 am

hurleyjd wrote:

I suspect that the whole Bible was concocted by man.

I respect this thread. That comment does not inspire much inspiration. Your comment may be correct but I trust you know the context of this thread. Personally, I treat it as walking off the street into a safe zone. I am not offended. If anyone even whispers I am not welcome here, I shall obey.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Margonme wrote:PREFACE: I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN but I find the Christian doctrine enjoyable. Philosophically, it stimulates as much wonder as the origins of the Universe. I have yet to meet a Christian who abides the following:

43. You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44. But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45. that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47. And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48. Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew.

The faithful of Christ aspire to follow his teachings and in falling short you often hear "Love the sinner but hate the sin." Perhaps the goodness is in the effort but what about when there is no effort? How many aspire to love their Islamic enemies?

Does it matter that the faithful flaunt some teachings? Or turn their head from it in acts that deliberately disobey such teachings as that cited above. Is there another verse that excuses the Christian from loving his Islamic enemies?

:nod: Not an easy doctrine to follow is it? Lack of ability to be perfect doesn't equate to the doctrine being wrong. But the individual wrong when they stray from it. I've been wrong numerous times.

I've known some who have been good at following that Ron, and they've taken some lumps for it.

St. Patrick for whom we celebrate the day was famous for loving his enemy. He was enslaved as a child, escaped his captors after several years and returned home. Once home, he converted and realized his mission was to love his enemies. He returned to his captors and gave his service out of love and not by enslavement. A multitude was brought to the faith by his action.

Hard to think that way, it's against our very nature.

Several members of our congregation recently went and helped clean up a local mosque that was vandalized.

That's something, but nothing like the bodily harm some have undergone to love their enemies.
0 x
X

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Commercialfarmer wrote:
Margonme wrote:PREFACE: I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN but I find the Christian doctrine enjoyable. Philosophically, it stimulates as much wonder as the origins of the Universe. I have yet to meet a Christian who abides the following:

Matthew.

:nod: Not an easy doctrine to follow is it? Lack of ability to be perfect doesn't equate to the doctrine being wrong. But the individual wrong when they stray from it. I've been wrong numerous times.

I've known some who have been good at following that Ron, and they've taken some lumps for it.

St. Patrick for whom we celebrate the day was famous for loving his enemy. He was enslaved as a child, escaped his captors after several years and returned home. Once home, he converted and realized his mission was to love his enemies. He returned to his captors and gave his service out of love and not by enslavement. A multitude was brought to the faith by his action.

Hard to think that way, it's against our very nature.

Several members of our congregation recently went and helped clean up a local mosque that was vandalized.

That's something, but nothing like the bodily harm some have undergone to love their enemies.

Thanks.

You are correct. It stretches the fabric of our sense of self-preservation to love thine enemy. In my circle of friends, family, etc. Most of whom are Christian, few have I heard profess they love someone who is dedicated to do them harm. In the current state of world affairs, I hear and see a lot of hatred toward those who follow Islam. Understandably so.

It impresses me that members of your congregation had the substance to help followers of one of the World's great religions. In a time when hatred of all followers of Islam is so widespread.

I was unfair in my post, I thought about my post today. It was not fair for me to cast my net so broadly. The world has witnessed some magnanimous Christians. Some no doubt practiced love of their enemies as Jesus professed that a devout Christian should. I am hopeful to meet one.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Just a thought. Our "typical" idea of the meaning of the word perfect may not be the same as the dictionary's definition.

per·fect
adjective
ˈpərfikt/
1. having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
"she strove to be the perfect wife"
synonyms: ideal, model, without fault, faultless, flawless, consummate, quintessential, exemplary, best, ultimate, copybook; More
2. absolute; complete (used for emphasis).
"a perfect stranger"
synonyms: absolute, complete, total, real, out-and-out, thorough, thoroughgoing, downright, utter, sheer, arrant, unmitigated, unqualified, veritable, in every respect, unalloyed
"she felt like a perfect idiot"
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:50 am

I have not read this thread for a while. Margo the little devil posted another thread about this one that caused me to come read here. A blessing that I did.

God bless you all.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Williamsv wrote:A great blessing for today when I am already tired and have miles to go before I can sleep! Thank you!

From a poem by Robert Frost
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 am

‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:3-6

“Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation. Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.”
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Return to “Coffee Shop”