Looking for a Cattle Farm in Middle Tennessee

Let us know who you are.
BoomerSooner
Beginner
Beginner

Looking for a Cattle Farm in Middle Tennessee

Postby BoomerSooner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:36 am

Hi. I was raised on a cattle farm in Oklahoma. As my wife and I are about 10 years from retirement we want to raise cattle again and looking forward to it. We were trying to see if we could do it near Murfreesboro or within 40 min drive from Murfreesboro. So, much has changed since I grew up on raising cattle that we have been educating ourselves, coming up with a business plan and see if we can find the land, which seems to be impossible to find, the costs are so high for land. Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed. If anyone has some land, please let us know. We look forward to learning as much as we can before we begin our new chapter in our lives.
0 x

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Looking for a Cattle Farm in Middle Tennessee

Postby uplandnut » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Welcome, there are a lot of great people with great suggestions here.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:40 pm

:welcome:

Have you looked around Woodbury?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:48 am

I know there's a lot of cattle around Smithville, and it's far enough from Nashville you might find some ground a little cheaper.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:17 am

My place is about 15 minutes south of Murfreesboro. Land prices in my area vary from 4-8 thousand an acre. Im only 34, but when I was a kid it was nothing but gravel roads and farmland. Now there is a subdivision coming up on each corner seems like. City folks wanting a 5 acre ranch.

There is a lot of good pasture land more in the 2,500 range west of me around Lawrenceburg / Waynesboro area if its not too far out of the way.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:54 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:My place is about 15 minutes south of Murfreesboro. Land prices in my area vary from 4-8 thousand an acre. Im only 34, but when I was a kid it was nothing but gravel roads and farmland. Now there is a subdivision coming up on each corner seems like. City folks wanting a 5 acre ranch.

There is a lot of good pasture land more in the 2,500 range west of me around Lawrenceburg / Waynesboro area if its not too far out of the way.

We're not very far apart then. I live in Franklin.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:10 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:My place is about 15 minutes south of Murfreesboro. Land prices in my area vary from 4-8 thousand an acre. Im only 34, but when I was a kid it was nothing but gravel roads and farmland. Now there is a subdivision coming up on each corner seems like. City folks wanting a 5 acre ranch.

No sir we sure aren't. Land in your area probably well over 10,000 an acre I would assume.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:15 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

No sir we sure aren't. Land in your area probably well over 10,000 an acre I would assume.

Not much land left around here.
0 x

BoomerSooner
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BoomerSooner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:32 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote::welcome:

Have you looked around Woodbury?

No, we haven't. It doesn't look too far from Murfreesboro. Overall, are prices fairly reasonable in the area?
0 x

BoomerSooner
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BoomerSooner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:40 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I know there's a lot of cattle around Smithville, and it's far enough from Nashville you might find some ground a little cheaper.

Would you know the going price per acre in the Smithville area? It's close enough to M'boro that it may be a serious contender. We appreciate it.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 am

Smithville is nice, prices should be a bit lower but I really don't have a basis for you.
0 x

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 am

BoomerSooner wrote:
Ojp6 wrote:I know there's a lot of cattle around Smithville, and it's far enough from Nashville you might find some ground a little cheaper.

Would you know the going price per acre in the Smithville area? It's close enough to M'boro that it may be a serious contender. We appreciate it.

I don't really know the prices to be honest, I've never really looked at land over there. This is something I found with a quick google search. Half pasture, half cropland, with a small barn on it for about $3,500 an acre.

http://m.landwatch.com/tennessee/dekalb-county/farms-and-ranches-for-sale/?id=289439726
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:10 am

A good way to find a place in Tennessee is search realtracs.com that's how we found ours. You can search middle Tennessee by county. Hope this helps
0 x

MoCrackerCowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MoCrackerCowboy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Tennessee Tuxedo
I am looking for a house in the Franklin area do you know of any good areas to look in
Something around 3500 sq ft in a nice gated subdivision
0 x
I love high heels .......

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”