wife wants to get the dog an electric blanket......:(

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: wife wants to get the dog an electric blanket......:(

Postby TexasBred » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:56 am

jedstivers wrote:I have heat lamps for mine. Works fine.

That's what we've always used. Put the bed in the shop with a heat lamp overhead. They do well with it.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:53 pm

TexasBred wrote:
jedstivers wrote:I have heat lamps for mine. Works fine.

That's what we've always used. Put the bed in the shop with a heat lamp overhead. They do well with it.

Heat lamps scare me a little. My neighbor burned down a great old barn using one.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:15 pm

greybeard wrote:Our 2 dogs are 'rough' dogs...They're outside dogs and sleep on our porch on blankets year round.
Winter's going to be here for real next week and wife is wanting to get an electric blanket for them to lay on.
I don't like the idea--- I just don't think they get that cold in their fur coats.
We don't let them in the house unless it's wet & windy, but I want them on the porch as guard and alarm anyway....

Electric blanket--- Bad idea or good idea?

Sounds as though your wife is a very kind hearted woman with good and loving intentions.
But you are right, their fur coats give them more than enough protection as long as their fur remains dry.
Dry, out of the wind and good nutrition is much more important than artificial heat.
Feed them a few more calories (if needed) allowing her to spoil them in that manner should fulfill her need to express
her natural caring nature and hopefully she, you and the pooches will all remain happy and healthy for many more winters to come.

My Vote--- Electric Blanket--- Bad Idea
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Well, I've never actually owned an electric blanket so I don't know anything about 'em, but from what I have read (where's City Guy?) you aren't supposed to lay ON one, because it may cause a hot spot to develop and burn 1/2 the world down--you're only supposed to cover up with them, so that is out.

They can't be too dang cold--they been out all day today running the woods and property in a stiff N wind and steady drizzle.

No fenceman--the cows come with a hairy leather coat.
[greybeard reaches down and scratches his balls]
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

greybeard wrote:Well, I've never actually owned an electric blanket so I don't know anything about 'em, but from what I have read (where's City Guy?) you aren't supposed to lay ON one, because it may cause a hot spot to develop and burn 1/2 the world down--you're only supposed to cover up with them, so that is out.

They can't be too dang cold--they been out all day today running the woods and property in a stiff N wind and steady drizzle.

No fenceman--the cows come with a hairy leather coat.
[greybeard reaches down and scratches his balls]

Soliloquy, I remember that being used in English class. Also the word ottamattapea (Sp?). Don't remember what it was, just thought the word sounded good.

[Bigfoot googles correct spelling, and definition of ottamattpea].
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:02 pm

onomatopoeia
1. The use or formation of words whose sound is intended to imitate the action or sound they mean, such as bang” or ”splash.”
2. Use of words which sound like the thing described.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Bigfoot wrote:onomatopoeia
1. The use or formation of words whose sound is intended to imitate the action or sound they mean, such as bang” or ”splash.”
2. Use of words which sound like the thing described.

Thank you for posting. Otherwise I may well have gone through life with the wrong understanding of atomaticpeein'.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:31 am

GB,

Maybe you should just bring them in and let them sleep in the bed with you and Mrs. Greybeard. :lol:
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”