First Post

Let us know who you are.
DerekA09
Beginner
Beginner

First Post

Postby DerekA09 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:00 am

What would be good way to get started as a first herd? I've never owned livestock before and I'd like to get a start. I'm from Southern Illinois.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: First Post

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:19 am

:welcome:

Do you own or have access to any land?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 am

You'll need good fencing and somewhere to work your cows.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 am

DerekA09 wrote:What would be good way to get started as a first herd?
I've never owned livestock before and I'd like to get a start. I'm from Southern Illinois.

1. identify your goals and expectations
2. evaluate your resources and their best use
3. be prepared, in addition to fences and water, facilities to catch and handle cattle that are easy on the cattle and
for you to use when they need to be treated, bred or calving assistance ect.
4. record keeping systems for expenses and income for easy tax preparation and to track herd progress/setbacks

Since you said herd... I'd recommend starting with f1 females, I like black angus x hereford cows.
I'd suggest finding and working with a successful local mentor experienced with cattle and cow herds.

to the boards and posting
0 x

DerekA09
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DerekA09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 am

In June of 2016 I got a 5 year old cow and a heifer calf that was 2 weeks old. Then in October I bought two ang/hereford cross heifers that were born March 2016. I'm not really sure what my goals should be. I have about 5 acres of lots that are in cattle panels and 18 acres that is just red brand woven wire fence with barb at the top. I know this is not something I'm going to be profitable at but I thought if I tried to be maybe I can stay close to breaking even? I realize this is a hobby but I would like to not loose a boatload of money. :lol:
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 am

Contact a local A.I. technician... ABS, Select Sires ect to get your cow bred and breed the 2 heifers in July to calve in
April 2018 and be prepared to fatten and butcher the heifer that does not get p.g.
The technician may be able to do timed A.I. breeding for you and bend his ear for any advice he may have to offer.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:49 am

If you want to make a small fortune with cattle you gotta start with a large one!

Welcome!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

DerekA09
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DerekA09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:51 am

Neighbor came and got my cow and she was bred back (bull not AI) around beginning of October. And that was another question I had. What age is a heifer ready to be bred? AND about how many cows would I need to have before getting a bull would financially make sense?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 am

Heifers 14+ months of age and make use of your neighbor's bull [if you can] until you have a dozen cows if possible.
0 x

DerekA09
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DerekA09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 am

The 5 year old is black. Looks to be some brahman/angus cross of some sort and the heifer calf I have out of her is actually a pretty solid, good looking heifer calf. Her sire was a reg. black angus. She over all just seems to be more solidly built than the two bwf heifers. I guess with experience one day I'll be able to judge weight by looking? My grandpa got into registered black angus when my dad and his siblings reached 4h age (late 60s) and my dad was raised around cattle all his life but he lives 3 hours north of me so he's not around to help as much as I'm sure he'd like to be. I'm 25 and wanted cows my whole life and finally got the chance to move back to the home place this past year.
0 x

DerekA09
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DerekA09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 am

0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”