Puzzled over calf behavior

Let us know who you are.
webercattle
Beginner
Beginner

Puzzled over calf behavior

Postby webercattle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Needing some insight. We have a 6 week old calf that was showing signs of respiratory distress (fever, coughing, runny nose, head down, lethargic, slow to take bottle). We gave a shot of Resflour Gold Monday and he seems to be clear of those symptoms now. Problem is now he acts like he is droopy on one side of his body. His head is still down to the right with right ear droopy and acts a little dizzy. Still takes a long time to take his bottle and I can't tell for sure but it looks like his mouth on the right side is not as strong when drinking bottle as the left side. We seen the vet and he gave Mu-Se in case of vitamin deficiency and B12 and penicillin for 5 days in case of infection. Said it could be a number of things so started with this. If he were a human baby I would think ear infection. But don't know if that's something that calves would get. We gave him the later shots yesterday and today. Does it take days to show improvement? We have 13 bottle calves in separate stalls and he's the only one like this. And is there anything else I could do or check?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Puzzled over calf behavior

Postby RanchMan90 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Sounds like a chronic calf. Take him to the vet for prognosis.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:11 pm

They already took him to the vet and if I'm reading correctly, waiting for the penicillin to kick in. The only thing that comes to mind with that sort of behavior is neurological, possibly an aneurysm.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm

webercattle wrote:We have a 6 week old calf... His head is still down to the right with right ear droopy and acts a little dizzy.
If he were a human baby I would think ear infection. But don't know if that's something that calves would get.

Yes they do... they will tilt their head and look at you like the RCA Victor dog.
Brain is fuzzy tonight can't think of the cause of infection off hand... it's a bear to knock out... Anyone help me out?
Are his joints and navel normal?
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I call it tilted head syndrome. Ha. I couldn't find much info on it (or a name) or anyone that could give me a better answer than what your vet gave you. Everybody said the same thing, "It could be a lot of things". I have had three calves with it, all of them nursing on cows out in the pasture. I originally thought ear mites. The first one I did nothing with and it stayed pretty much the same until I sold it at a big discount. The other two I treated with Micotil just because that is what I had on hand. They both recovered fully to where you could not tell they had anything wrong with them. It took a couple months and they didn't gain hardly any weight during this time. None of them had any pneumonia like symptoms they just didn't feel as good as the others. Sat around a lot but other wise looked healthy.

I think they get some kind of bug that messes with their neurological system.

Maybe Lucky B will chime in.
0 x

webercattle
Beginner
Beginner

Postby webercattle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 am

His joints and navel are normal. He was a perfectly healthy calf until this. Today he is showing no signs of improvement as far as the head tilt, droopy, etc...(RCA dog describes him pretty well) but he has a good appetite for the bottle. He's not eating feed very well anymore, but I'm wondering if that's because his mouth seems droopy too. He isn't as "perky" as he used to be, but acts like he wants to be. Good to know someone else has seen this behavior. I'm hoping the meds will kick in soon. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated!
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 am

Looked up what I was thinking of...
Otitis media (inner ear infection) a common manifestation of Mycoplasma Bovis in young calves.
Treatment of Mycoplasma Bovis is seldom rewarding because it is the smallest free-living pathogen in animals and
it does not possess a cell wall.

Mycoplasma Bovis Pneumonia in cattle
In 2008 it was identified as an important and emerging cause of respiratory disease and arthritis in feedlot cattle
especially in 300 - 600 lb feeders capable of causing acute respiratory disease with over 20% mortality and this
pathogen was found in 98% of cattle with chronic pneumonia. It has been described as a "smoldering pneumonia"
typically showing signs of pneumonia 3-4 weeks after arrival and does not respond well to treatment. 1-2 weeks
later a number of the pneumonia cases will develop signs of arthritis. Most deaths occur within 6 weeks of arrival.

Immunosuppression associated with BVD infection has been shown to predispose animals to Mycoplasma infections,
so proper vaccination with viral vaccines is important in reducing the incidence and severity of the disease.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”