preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
User avatar
CottageFarm
-
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 am

callmefence wrote:Fwiw when I smoked my jerky sticks this year I cut the cure salt in half, and it seemed to help.could it have been something else? Of course. I really don't care about why except it works for me.

If that offends someone's political values, well I'd guess their probably a little on the sensitive side. :nod:


I guess I don't understand, if you're not willing to accept the facts of chemistry, why even ask for expert opinions?? :roll:
You will not get a more accurate or factual answer than Jo just gave you, but you seem to prefer to keep the facts at bay, so good luck with that :dunce:
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:43 am

CottageFarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:Fwiw when I smoked my jerky sticks this year I cut the cure salt in half, and it seemed to help.could it have been something else? Of course. I really don't care about why except it works for me.

If that offends someone's political values, well I'd guess their probably a little on the sensitive side. :nod:


I guess I don't understand, if you're not willing to accept the facts of chemistry, why even ask for expert opinions?? :roll:
You will not get a more accurate or factual answer than Jo just gave you, but you seem to prefer to keep the facts at bay, so good luck with that :dunce:


Understand this
You obviously think more of him than I do.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
CottageFarm
-
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:27 am

callmefence wrote:
CottageFarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:Fwiw when I smoked my jerky sticks this year I cut the cure salt in half, and it seemed to help.could it have been something else? Of course. I really don't care about why except it works for me.

If that offends someone's political values, well I'd guess their probably a little on the sensitive side. :nod:


I guess I don't understand, if you're not willing to accept the facts of chemistry, why even ask for expert opinions?? :roll:
You will not get a more accurate or factual answer than Jo just gave you, but you seem to prefer to keep the facts at bay, so good luck with that :dunce:


Understand this
You obviously think more of him than I do.


Very true, he has earned that from me, and many others, over the years by presenting well researched and documented information. Like I said he presented you with facts, not emotion or opinion. He went to the trouble of trying to give you solid information to take control of your own health issues and you decided to ignore that help and chose to act like an a$$hole instead, but that seems to be your usual MO.... :roll:
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 am

CottageFarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:
CottageFarm wrote:
I guess I don't understand, if you're not willing to accept the facts of chemistry, why even ask for expert opinions?? :roll:
You will not get a more accurate or factual answer than Jo just gave you, but you seem to prefer to keep the facts at bay, so good luck with that :dunce:


Understand this
You obviously think more of him than I do.


Very true, he has earned that from me, and many others, over the years by presenting well researched and documented information. Like I said he presented you with facts, not emotion or opinion. He went to the trouble of trying to give you solid information to take control of your own health issues and you decided to ignore that help and chose to act like an a$$hole instead, but that seems to be your usual MO.... :roll:


Maybe you missed something cottage..?
But that's ok. No sweat

I will challenge you to put your money where your mouth is and show me where I've ever been a azz to anyone that wasn't one to me first. I will apologize to them in public.


Ps.
I'm pretty sure I've apologized to grit, but I probably do owe him on for something.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
CottageFarm
-
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm

...see now, herein lies the problem.... Anytime someone disagrees with or corrects you, you get all oversensitive and think they're being an azz to you, so you turn around and be your natural self which thusfar appears to be an a$$hole. There have been far too many instances for me to keep track of them all, you've done it pretty much since the day you joined this forum. I will give you this, however, you are consistent....
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 pm

You don't have to keep up with all of em cottage just show one.

I ask you to look at the beginning of this thread. I was quite respectful to Joe. Even though hd was the only one who truly answered my question. Look at the dates.
Lots of time went by. Maybe something happened on another thread.
I've never called anyone on here a name just for voicing their opinion. I not sensitive. I'm proud and I'm going to give what I get....You can count on it.
Once again SHOW ME
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23314
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 pm

callmefence wrote:Lots of time went by. Maybe something happened on another thread.


No, I was actually responding to TB's post he made Tuesday of this week. That's why I quoted him in my post.

Kingfisher wrote:I wonder if it's something in the spice mix. I know I like Popeyes but something in their spice upsets me


Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
callmefence wrote:Lots of time went by. Maybe something happened on another thread.


No, I was actually responding to TB's post he made Tuesday of this week. That's why I quoted him in my post.

Kingfisher wrote:I wonder if it's something in the spice mix. I know I like Popeyes but something in their spice upsets me


Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.


I know that Jo. And pardon me for not"accepting the chemistry" .
Even though it is not exactly what I was after.

I think I can smoke MY jerky without sodium nitrate and not cause the downfall of mankind.

Disclaimer.
If I fence should die from eating my Own jerky sticks, no one is to be held liable except me ,fence....and apparently the world will be short one azzhole.

I've used the same spice pack. Hunters blend from cabalas. . Smoked on mesquite chips.
In masterbuilt propane smoker. No liquid smoke. Just the spices and cure.

I'll go ahead and ask......what's the deal with the sea salt........sounds liberal ;-)
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23314
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Then you have those bun-wearers who successfully cure meat using only artisan sea salt because of the wonderful magical impurities these high priced sea salts contain. Bet you can't guess what one of these impurities might be. Yep, nitrate/ites.


Ok, you've gone from snack sticks to only jerky. Explain your process to me. Mainly the temps and duration you are smoking the meat.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4956
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I wonder if it's something in the spice mix. I know I like Popeyes but something in their spice upsets me


Could be. I've also seen where a good many people get an upset stomach or heartburn from smoked meats especially where liquid smoke is used in lieu of actual smoke. Also some people smoke meat incorrectly which can lead to a sooty film on the meat surface. Coincidentally, this soot is also what liquid smoke is often made from so I can't help but think there is some connection here but I don't know.[/quote]
Yea I believe that. There was discussion on another forum about people who just can't stomach smoke meat. Not sure if they understood it in depth but more than a few had the same experience.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Then you have those bun-wearers who successfully cure meat using only artisan sea salt because of the wonderful magical impurities these high priced sea salts contain. Bet you can't guess what one of these impurities might be. Yep, nitrate/ites.


Ok, you've gone from snack sticks to only jerky. Explain your process to me. Mainly the temps and duration you are smoking the meat.


Yeah sorry bout that. Just talking snack sticks. 80\20 ground venison and pork fat.
I grind the venison and pork then add the spice and cure per the instructions on the package. A package does 25 pounds and I usually do 12.5 pounds at a time.
After hand mixing I run it back through the grinder. Then we take in and stuff the casings.
Into the smoker for around a hour at the lowest heat it'll run . around 125.
Then I put in wood chips and turn up the fire to 200 and smoke until they read about 170. There have been times when I've smoked them hotter and faster due to time constraints. When their done They come in the house And I wipe off any grease with a paper towel. Once cool in a zip lock and in the fridge or freezer.




Image

Image
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23314
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks, knowing your process tells me a lot. What you are doing is actually baking the meat with smoke and at that high temperature you don't need any cure. This is the same as smoking BBQ. The one thing you should be aware of is if you are making it this way without any cure at all I wouldn't put the sticks in a plastic bag unless you are going to freeze them and if you freeze them you should remove from the plastic bag before thawing because if there is botulism in the meat then it could spore and and this could be deadly.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby callmefence » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Thanks, knowing your process tells me a lot. What you are doing is actually baking the meat with smoke and at that high temperature you don't need any cure. This is the same as smoking BBQ. The one thing you should be aware of is if you are making it this way without any cure at all I wouldn't put the sticks in a plastic bag unless you are going to freeze them and if you freeze them you should remove from the plastic bag before thawing because if there is botulism in the meat then it could spore and and this could be deadly.


Thanks
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Turkeybird » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Back off the wood chips in your smoker and that may keep em from being too smokey tasting
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: preserved smoked meats without sodium nitrate

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Turkeybird wrote:Back off the wood chips in your smoker and that may keep em from being too smokey tasting


Too much smoke or smoke from wood that hasn't burned down good before smoking meat gives me bad heartburn.
If I let it burn down good it doesn't bother me. I don't know if it's too much smoke or the smoke from burning wood before it gets to down to coals
0 x


Return to “Recipes and Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests