Winter Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Winter Garden 2016

Postby Post Oak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:21 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
What variety of collards the only ones I like are champion.

I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.

I plant the plants because the winter garden period is too short to start from seeds.

I usually start planting my collard seeds in July right after I have chopped down the sweet corn and gave it to the cows. I planted Red Ripper peas, White Acre peas, and collards the last Saturday in July and the peas are about to make now.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 am

Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Post Oak wrote:I have planted only yellow cabbage collards this year. This is the first year that I have planted only from seed instead of buying those high dollar transplants. I would have planted some Georgia collards too if I would have had time.

I plant the plants because the winter garden period is too short to start from seeds.

I usually start planting my collard seeds in July right after I have chopped down the sweet corn and gave it to the cows. I planted Red Ripper peas, White Acre peas, and collards the last Saturday in July and the peas are about to make now.

I gotcha... Mine I put fertilizer on today to try to see if I can have anything grow the greens and turnips are growing like weeds.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:06 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I gotcha... Mine I put fertilizer on today to try to see if I can have anything grow the greens and turnips are growing like weeds.

I wish that I had some good turnip growing ground because they make a good late fall stockpile for the cows.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:01 am

Post Oak wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Post Oak wrote:I usually start planting my collard seeds in July right after I have chopped down the sweet corn and gave it to the cows. I planted Red Ripper peas, White Acre peas, and collards the last Saturday in July and the peas are about to make now.

I wish that I had some good turnip growing ground because they make a good late fall stockpile for the cows.

:lol: these turnips will be feeding this fat boy along with the turnip greens
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Hey Sky, about time you started a Garden 2017 thread isn't it? Unless I missed it. Had a record high of 65 today and I got started on mine. I'm sure winter isn't over but it sure felt nice today. Coveralls on Monday and shorts today.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Hey Sky, about time you started a Garden 2017 thread isn't it? Unless I missed it. Had a record high of 65 today and I got started on mine. I'm sure winter isn't over but it sure felt nice today. Coveralls on Monday and shorts today.

Steve coming right up for you bud.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”