4 month old auction Jersey bull care advice

Let us know who you are.
DelaHeurta
Beginner
Beginner

4 month old auction Jersey bull care advice

Postby DelaHeurta » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

Just picked up our first Jersey bull from the auction (we normally buy older Angus) it is almost 4 months, 240lbs and has a good personallity but looks a little tattered. Hair is matted down and crusty. I did notice a fair amount of white mucus from nostril. Apitite is great for alfalfa. We know nothing about his past. Any advice on what steps to take with him knowing what I told you? Shots, vaccines, vitamins etc. His purpose will be for meet most likely.

Thanks in advance!!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 4 month old auction Jersey bull care advice

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

DelaHeurta wrote:Just picked up our first Jersey bull from the auction (we normally buy older Angus) it is almost 4 months, 240lbs and has a good personallity but looks a little tattered. Hair is matted down and crusty. I did notice a fair amount of white mucus from nostril. Apitite is great for alfalfa. We know nothing about his past. Any advice on what steps to take with him knowing what I told you? Shots, vaccines, vitamins etc. His purpose will be for meet most likely.

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like he needs a little TLC, worming and hay and feed. Might go easy on the alfalfa at first or you'll scour him.

And welcome to the board. :tiphat:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Agree on the alfalfa...too much protein, too rich, right off the bat. Try a decent grass hay with maybe a bit of alfalfa, for a week or two to get it started off. Worming would be first priority after a couple of days of just getting him filled up on hay and a full functioning gut. A pour on might not get all the worms, but it will help get rid of any lice first off so that would be my choice. A little grain for the first week or two also. Get him castrated. You don't want him to stay a bull and younger is better than older, since he will be primarily for meat in the future.
If he continues with a snotty nose, then a possible antibiotic down the road, but give him a chance to get acclimated as long as he is not breathing hard or running a temp or looking droopy.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Agree with all that's said . jersey calves look like slung chittlings for quite a while.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”