Deterring cattle from my home.

Let us know who you are.
xsassygirl
Beginner
Beginner

Deterring cattle from my home.

Postby xsassygirl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

HI, New here. I have an issue that seems that there is no recourse for. I have a neighbor that bought an open field next door to me and they are grazing cattle. Last year, when they first put the cattle on the pasture, they placed the feeding station within 100' feet of the fence line close to my home, which in the warmer weather, caused the most horrid smell. I asked the neighbor to move the feeding station and they did, but not further on their own property but down the fence line from my house. I have had conflict with this neighbor since they have purchased the property. I live in Kentucky, in a rural county that has no regulations or codes to prevent grazing of cattle within a certain perimeter of my residential area. The cattle were housed somewhere else during the winter, but they are now back. While they have put the feeding station away from my house, they have placed the drinking water area close to my house and this congregates the cattle and after eating, they evacuate and this is again close to my house. There is no water source close to my house, and the water is being carried and to my belief, deliberating being placed close to my house.

Saying all this, this there any suggestions, like placing sonic deterrents along the fence to keep the cattle away from the fence line and my home?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Deterring cattle from my home.

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:33 pm

xsassygirl wrote:HI, New here. I have an issue that seems that there is no recourse for. I have a neighbor that bought an open field next door to me and they are grazing cattle. Last year, when they first put the cattle on the pasture, they placed the feeding station within 100' feet of the fence line close to my home, which in the warmer weather, caused the most horrid smell. I asked the neighbor to move the feeding station and they did, but not further on their own property but down the fence line from my house. I have had conflict with this neighbor since they have purchased the property. I live in Kentucky, in a rural county that has no regulations or codes to prevent grazing of cattle within a certain perimeter of my residential area. The cattle were housed somewhere else during the winter, but they are now back. While they have put the feeding station away from my house, they have placed the drinking water area close to my house and this congregates the cattle and after eating, they evacuate and this is again close to my house. There is no water source close to my house, and the water is being carried and to my belief, deliberating being placed close to my house.

Saying all this, this there any suggestions, like placing sonic deterrents along the fence to keep the cattle away from the fence line and my home?

Not being mean, but you should move to town. You will be much happier in the end, and you will also be surrounded by your own kind.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm

It sounds like you want something similar to the stuff you buy at the pet store to keep cats or dogs out of your flower bed, but for cattle instead? I'm not aware of anything like that.

And with all due respect, your neighbor might want to consider getting a sign like this.

0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Place a bunch of those helium balloons on the fence by the water. We almost had a bad deal because of the balloons.
I find it hard to believe that people come to a cattle site to complain about cattle and cattlemen.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm

you sound like a true bleeding heart city person, that wants to live in the country, but wants it to be like the city. if you don't like cattle move to town. by the way you are lucky it is a nice guy, cause if it was me you were bitching to, I would give more to be nice about.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:40 pm

I know of a similar situation around here one time and the lady would walk around naked by the fence every afternoon . the farmer moved his cows when he saw what was happening.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm

The OP stated that the other person bought the adjacent property so she was clearly there first and shouldn't have to move. The cattle should be relegated to the furthest reaches of the property for all parties concerned. If she were my neighbor that's how I'd handle it.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 pm

She is lucky it's not a chicken house or a hog farm.
If you live in a rural area all you can control is what happens on your land.
Best bet is to make friends instead of being confrontational.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Cow shyt smells good to me, it smells like money.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:22 pm

This has to be a joke.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:56 pm

I think so.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 pm

This post seems ironic for sure. This is what happens when folks want to live in the country, but don't fully understand what living in the country means. The property is likely zoned agricultural, and unless these are small acreages that have been sold with clauses limiting there uses, then there is nothing against livestock on property. It could be a lot worse they could have brought in a bunch of hogs, or maybe a chicken coop complete with some roosters.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:The OP stated that the other person bought the adjacent property so she was clearly there first and shouldn't have to move. The cattle should be relegated to the furthest reaches of the property for all parties concerned. If she were my neighbor that's how I'd handle it.

TT,

With all due respect, you'd really not use the land beside a neighbor because of that?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 pm

xsassygirl wrote: I have had conflict with this neighbor since they have purchased the property.

I'm guessing the rest of this story would explain a lot.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Rafter S wrote:It sounds like you want something similar to the stuff you buy at the pet store to keep cats or dogs out of your flower bed, but for cattle instead? I'm not aware of anything like that.

And with all due respect, your neighbor might want to consider getting a sign like this.

Now that's funny!
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”