Deterring cattle from my home.

Let us know who you are.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Deterring cattle from my home.

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Rafter S wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:The OP stated that the other person bought the adjacent property so she was clearly there first and shouldn't have to move. The cattle should be relegated to the furthest reaches of the property for all parties concerned. If she were my neighbor that's how I'd handle it.

TT,

With all due respect, you'd really not use the land beside a neighbor because of that?

I didn't say I wouldn't graze it but I seriously wouldn't make it a watering station our set up feed bunks that close to someone's house.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:24 pm

That makes sense. I misunderstood.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:35 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:The OP stated that the other person bought the adjacent property so she was clearly there first and shouldn't have to move. The cattle should be relegated to the furthest reaches of the property for all parties concerned. If she were my neighbor that's how I'd handle it.

TT,

With all due respect, you'd really not use the land beside a neighbor because of that?

I didn't say I wouldn't graze it but I seriously wouldn't make it a watering station our set up feed bunks that close to someone's house.

Even if they were a pita first?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 pm

I tried to buy a piece of land a couple years ago just so I could put hogs near a guys house. A friend at the bank that had the land knew what I had in mind and wouldn't sell to me. Probably kept me out of jail.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
TT,

Even if they were a pita first?

I guess it depends on how much of a pain.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 am

Rafter S wrote:That makes sense. I misunderstood.

Good deal.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 am

I'm kinda blessed to not really have neighbors houses close to my farm. If I did, even if they were a pain, I don't think I would antagonize them. It is kinda funny to imagine building a hog pen out of pallets and old tin, and topping out some hogs right by their house. Maybe spreading manure in early May along the fence line.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 am

This reminds me of a story I heard years ago. Don't know if it's true, but it really doesn't matter for making the point. A bull (Neighbor A's) got into a Neighbor B's place. The guy called the bull's owner and said "Your bull is in my pasture. I want you to come get him out, and I mean right now!" The owner came and got his bull as quick as he could. A few weeks later the situation was reversed, with Neighbor B's bull in Neighbor A's place. Neighbor A called him and said "I wanted to let you know your bull got into my place. I got him penned. He has water, and I gave him some hay. He'll be fine until it's convenient for you to come get him, or if you're busy I don't mind loading him and bringing him to you." According to the story I heard they got along fine from then on.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 am

Rafter S wrote:This reminds me of a story I heard years ago. Don't know if it's true, but it really doesn't matter for making the point. A bull (Neighbor A's) got into a Neighbor B's place. The guy called the bull's owner and said "Your bull is in my pasture. I want you to come get him out, and I mean right now!" The owner came and got his bull as quick as he could. A few weeks later the situation was reversed, with Neighbor B's bull in Neighbor A's place. Neighbor A called him and said "I wanted to let you know your bull got into my place. I got him penned. He has water, and I gave him some hay. He'll be fine until it's convenient for you to come get him, or if you're busy I don't mind loading him and bringing him to you." According to the story I heard they got along fine from then on.

That's how I was raised.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Rafter S wrote:This reminds me of a story I heard years ago. Don't know if it's true, but it really doesn't matter for making the point. A bull (Neighbor A's) got into a Neighbor B's place. The guy called the bull's owner and said "Your bull is in my pasture. I want you to come get him out, and I mean right now!" The owner came and got his bull as quick as he could. A few weeks later the situation was reversed, with Neighbor B's bull in Neighbor A's place. Neighbor A called him and said "I wanted to let you know your bull got into my place. I got him penned. He has water, and I gave him some hay. He'll be fine until it's convenient for you to come get him, or if you're busy I don't mind loading him and bringing him to you." According to the story I heard they got along fine from then on.

That's how I was raised.

That's how I like to do things too, I try to be as understanding as possible and work with folks to help them out. I always say that I would rather someone else's livestock get in on us than ours to get out.
0 x

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

When I had a small place in San Saba , a new neighbor decided to place a Mobil home about fifty feet from the property line. The year before I had out bid him for my land. Seeing how he can do what he wants with his land, I decided to raise pigs right on my fence line. Three months later he moved his trailer. I kept the hogs there. Finally sold the place to an ag teacher . While I made what seemed like a lot of profit. He got the last laugh. The ag teacher was his brother-in-law.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I'm kinda blessed to not really have neighbors houses close to my farm. If I did, even if they were a pain, I don't think I would antagonize them. It is kinda funny to imagine building a hog pen out of pallets and old tin, and topping out some hogs right by their house. Maybe spreading manure in early May along the fence line.

That's EXACTLY what my friend did when a neighbor repeatedly called the SPCA on him (they cleared him every time), then bylaw enforcement (they cleared him too)..
So he built the ugliest fence he could out of cants, about 10-12' high, however long the random lengths of board were, and spreads manure whenever he sees them get ready to have a BBQ.. Not only that, but he pointed out to the bylaw enforcement agent that his well and one of his buildings were too close to the property line, and that his own septic was too close to his well, and he had to get EVERYTHING moved.

I am fortunate enough to have no neighbors except for one, and we get along very well... Perhaps if they were such unprovoked C&&Ts like my friends neighbors, I'd resort to making their life miserable
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kell-inKY » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 am

Up the road from me, a guy buys a house next to another, it has about an acre in FRONT (front yard). Guy decides to put up some pallet hog huts and electric fence, right there in front. Neighbor has his pool within maybe 3 feet of the property line, neighbor is just out of luck because we live in the county.

I know it's his property and he can do what he wants but that's just un-neighborly, "do unto others".

Some people just don't think, and some people just don't care, the end result is the same though. There is no reason to antagonize a neighbor if you don't have to, it sounds like it wouldn't make a difference to the farmer where the waterer was located? You just have to be direct and polite and ASK them to move it, you might get lucky. The more direct the better, people don't like to feel manipulated, just be brutally honest, ask him if the situation was reversed how would he handle it? You could also show some interest like get his number and tell him you will keep an eye on them and let him know if they get out etc.
0 x

Canadianfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Canadianfarmer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 am

Cows be nice they smell they live in the country and they make money if u can't handle that go find a town
0 x

garyws
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby garyws » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Kell-inKY wrote:Up the road from me, a guy buys a house next to another, it has about an acre in FRONT (front yard). Guy decides to put up some pallet hog huts and electric fence, right there in front. Neighbor has his pool within maybe 3 feet of the property line, neighbor is just out of luck because we live in the county.

I know it's his property and he can do what he wants but that's just un-neighborly, "do unto others".

Some people just don't think, and some people just don't care, the end result is the same though. There is no reason to antagonize a neighbor if you don't have to, it sounds like it wouldn't make a difference to the farmer where the waterer was located? You just have to be direct and polite and ASK them to move it, you might get lucky. The more direct the better, people don't like to feel manipulated, just be brutally honest, ask him if the situation was reversed how would he handle it? You could also show some interest like get his number and tell him you will keep an eye on them and let him know if they get out etc.

If people would live by the golden rule, everyone would be a lot happier. Problem is...some people just want to take out their anger on someone else. Shrinks call it displaced aggression. And we're all guilty.
1 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”