Sausage press

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Sausage press

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 am

I always wanted one and hoped I could catch one on a good sale... Well I finally did this one isn't top of the line but works for my needs. I paid 20.00 for it and couldn't beat it.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Sausage press

Postby slick4591 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:42 am

That's a good buy. I used to know a guy that used a pasty bag.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:27 am

You got a bargain. Not to much to these things but yours is stainless and that's a plus.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I paid 80.00 for one last year from gander mountain. And it wasn't as good as that one.
Looks like a 4" pipe elbow with a plunger.
Turned out ok though. A 3 foot cheater pipe and the wife can use it fine.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:27 pm

I use an old fashion lard press it works good and is a 100 plus years old. I've bought and sold a dozen or more through the years. I'm wanting to build a water press for making sausage, something that'll make 50 lbs or more in one fill up.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Did you have a gun pointed at the cashier when you bought that? I need to shop with Sky.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:17 pm

wacocowboy wrote:Did you have a gun pointed at the cashier when you bought that? I need to shop with Sky.

I bought it at northern tool theres no one around for a good distance that makes sausage :lol: So after it gathers dust for a while they start marking stuff down like crazy...
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I made countless turns on the handle on an old cast iron one when I was a boy. I remember getting fussed at if I wasn't paying attention and kept turning after it got to the end of the casing.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:Did you have a gun pointed at the cashier when you bought that? I need to shop with Sky.

I bought it at northern tool theres no one around for a good distance that makes sausage :lol: So after it gathers dust for a while they start marking stuff down like crazy...

We don't have any of those around here have to go to Dallas, Houston or maybe Austin.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

So with the weather getting nicer now I'm getting the itch to run the smoker some weekend soon and I've always wanted to try making my own sausage logs to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe and instructions on how they do theirs? I don't have a sausage press or a grinder at the moment, may have to look into purchasing them but wondered if there is an easy way just to manually mix some ground pork and beef together with my hands and season it before throwing it on the smoker?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

SPH wrote:So with the weather getting nicer now I'm getting the itch to run the smoker some weekend soon and I've always wanted to try making my own sausage logs to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe and instructions on how they do theirs? I don't have a sausage press or a grinder at the moment, may have to look into purchasing them but wondered if there is an easy way just to manually mix some ground pork and beef together with my hands and season it before throwing it on the smoker?

Without a stuffer it would be hard. You could make something along the lines of a chub which is easier to stuff because of the large diameter. You can use cloth bags or even panty hose for this. Or just make a fatty but I don't think any of these would be what you are after. You really need a stuffer. If you are unsure if you'd like making sausage a cheap stuffer is the Weston manual stuffer. They run around $60 but if you think you are going to like doing it I'd go ahead and buy a crank stuffer.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am

Jogeephus wrote:
SPH wrote:So with the weather getting nicer now I'm getting the itch to run the smoker some weekend soon and I've always wanted to try making my own sausage logs to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe and instructions on how they do theirs? I don't have a sausage press or a grinder at the moment, may have to look into purchasing them but wondered if there is an easy way just to manually mix some ground pork and beef together with my hands and season it before throwing it on the smoker?

Without a stuffer it would be hard. You could make something along the lines of a chub which is easier to stuff because of the large diameter. You can use cloth bags or even panty hose for this. Or just make a fatty but I don't think any of these would be what you are after. You really need a stuffer. If you are unsure if you'd like making sausage a cheap stuffer is the Weston manual stuffer. They run around $60 but if you think you are going to like doing it I'd go ahead and buy a crank stuffer.

do new or used panty hose work the best???
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

M-5 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

do new or used panty hose work the best???

Never done it myself but I would hope they use new ones else there might be a funky taste in the sausage.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I knowca guy that makes panty hose chicken and he swears used ones work best , the chicken is good.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

So how would you word that? "Honey, it's time to stuff my sausage......would you mind taking off your pantyhose?" :mrgreen:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”