Alabama folks, I got a ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Not many of yaw on here, so this may be a long shot. I've got a gooseneck load of steers, with a sprinkling of heifers to haul off. I'd like to take them down your way. I've got a few yards picked out. I obviously know nothing about them. I have checked the miles to them, and their weekly sales reports. If these yards have 1000 head runs, what percentage of the feeder calves will have some ear (25% or less Brahman), and how bad is the discount?
I can hit the following pretty easy from my house:
1000 head reports
Arab
Florence
Cullman
500 head reports
Decatur
Russellville
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

OffTheRails
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby OffTheRails » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 am

I take mine to Savannah, Tn usually. I have folks there (and me every other week) that write down the oddballs (with ear, things with chrome, horn, etc.) and how much they get docked every week compared to average. Best sellers here are black (of course), bwf, and chars the past few months. Are you dead set on going to Alabama? Seems like Savannah doesn't get hit as bad because of the proximity to the beefmaster breeders around here and the guys that cross with beefmaster bulls (including myself). I guess the marketability increases with supply oddly enough. I have some folks that are down in Alabama way every other week at least if you need info about them. It would be the northern parts of Alabama like Cullman, Russellville, and Florence. I'm about 45 mins from Florence and 30 mins from Savannah. Im fairly new to the boards but is there a way to pm on here? If so feel free and I'll help you out any way I can if you need something arranged or more info.
-OTR
0 x
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. OffTheRailsRanch

MartinFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Northwest Georgia

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby MartinFarms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 am

I have sold at both Arab and Cullman and there is no dock in 25% or less and are either black or char X. I see quite a few Brangus go through Kilpatrick and Ft Payne which are farther North with no dock.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 am

OffTheRails wrote:I take mine to Savannah, Tn usually. I have folks there (and me every other week) that write down the oddballs (with ear, things with chrome, horn, etc.) and how much they get docked every week compared to average. Best sellers here are black (of course), bwf, and chars the past few months. Are you dead set on going to Alabama? Seems like Savannah doesn't get hit as bad because of the proximity to the beefmaster breeders around here and the guys that cross with beefmaster bulls (including myself). I guess the marketability increases with supply oddly enough. I have some folks that are down in Alabama way every other week at least if you need info about them. It would be the northern parts of Alabama like Cullman, Russellville, and Florence. I'm about 45 mins from Florence and 30 mins from Savannah. Im fairly new to the boards but is there a way to pm on here? If so feel free and I'll help you out any way I can if you need something arranged or more info.
-OTR


Naw, I'm not dead set on Alabama. I picked those yards, because they were on the north side of the state and/or their proximity to I 65.

If I lay the report from where I sell down beside of most reports from Alabama, my yards is 10-15 cents back. I don't take a big big hit for ear here (if I get in a graded pen). If I happen to not get in a graded pen, then I'm another 10-15 cents back. I can get 11-12,000 pounds on my trailer. 11,000 X .25 = $2,750. Worth a 3 hour drive.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:41 am

MartinFarms wrote:I have sold at both Arab and Cullman and there is no dock in 25% or less and are either black or char X. I see quite a few Brangus go through Kilpatrick and Ft Payne which are farther North with no dock.


I'm not much of a world traveler, I didn't realize Ft Payne , and Kilpatrick where so close to the Tn state line. They would be options as well. Thanks.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:43 am

Out of sheer curiosity, what percentage of the cattle selling in Savannah, and North Alabama are eared?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

MartinFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Northwest Georgia

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby MartinFarms » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am

Depending on the day my guess would be 10%-15%. If your steers mainly black/char I would consider Athens Tn. pre condition sales.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 am

MartinFarms wrote:Depending on the day my guess would be 10%-15%. If your steers mainly black/char I would consider Athens Tn. pre condition sales.


I was hoping there would be more. I also wanted to bid on some heifers while I was there.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

OffTheRails
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby OffTheRails » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 am

I'm with him about the day having a lot to do with it but I'd say that around 15% has some ear on it. I went to the Savannah sale last week and I would say 20% had ear on it. The week before when I went I probably only saw 10% or so. They do pretty good there as long as they don't have a terrible amount of sheath. Brangus type are some of the more common cows up this way it seems like to me. Man you missed a heck of a bargain on a few heifers a couple weeks ago up there. Six of the best heifers all day went through the ring about the time one of the order buyers spilled a drink. Old timer in the back was snickering all the way to the pay window about the deal he got while they were distracted haha.
0 x
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. OffTheRailsRanch

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 am

Which yard of all the yards in all of North Alabama and the one Savannah yard, consistently has the largest runs? Maybe sheer volume will accomplish my goals on both ends.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

OffTheRails
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am
Location: North Mississippi

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby OffTheRails » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

They are all about the same 750-1000 head. I don't think you'd see a whole lot of difference honestly. You'd probably be just as well off to go to the closest one to you or go whichever day you can get down the easiest. All of the yards are within an hour or so of each other so prices are usually within 5.00 of each other.
0 x
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. OffTheRailsRanch

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Ojp6 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm

You just about should have had them in Guthrie yesterday if you had some they could make a little package out of. I thought weaned steers we're plenty high for little bunches of 10 head or less. 6 weights bring 1.40 and 7 weights bring 1.33.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Ojp6 wrote:You just about should have had them in Guthrie yesterday if you had some they could make a little package out of. I thought weaned steers we're plenty high for little bunches of 10 head or less. 6 weights bring 1.40 and 7 weights bring 1.33.


I made this same run to Georgia last year, over the kids spring break. It cost about as much as a trip to Disney, and it's definitely more fun than riding space mountain. I call it a staycation. My wife refuses to participate. She don't know how to have fun I guess.


You ever run across about 10-15 top shelf heifers with a little ear?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Ojp6 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't see too many, just one here and one there usually.
How are those baldy eared heifers that came from Hopkinsville doing that were a touch wild when you got them?

They had a couple Braford pairs in Guthrie yesterday. They were about the first ones I'd seen around here that were very good.
0 x
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I don't see too many, just one here and one there usually.
How are those baldy eared heifers that came from Hopkinsville doing that were a touch wild when you got them?

They had a couple Braford pairs in Guthrie yesterday. They were about the first ones I'd seen around here that were very good.


All have calved, made big bags, and have actually decent looking calves on them considering what I bred them to. All settled down but one. She just trimbles when you go buy her on a horse. No telling what she'd do behind a closed gate.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests