New from ND

Let us know who you are.
t_irwin145
Beginner
Beginner

New from ND

Postby t_irwin145 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am

Mornin guys, new guy here from western North Dakota. Here to learn all that I can
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: New from ND

Postby Rafter S » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 pm

:welcome:
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

uplandnut
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby uplandnut » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 am

Welcome to the boards
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 am

:welcome:

Where are you in Western North Dakota? I have some great memories of that State. I had the best breakfast I have ever eaten anywhere in my life in the small town of New Leipzig. The lady who served me was a big German woman that retained a hint of her accent. As you will appreciate, lots of Norwegian ethic groups up there. Interesting how it is retained in their accent.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Welcome. I also have some fond memories of your state. About 20 years ago I worked for a local beekeeper, who owned an operation in Moffitt. I'd go up there to work and stay for 4 or 5 weeks in late summer. I would have loved to stay longer, but my children were small then and I didn't like being away from them for long periods. North Dakota has much more pleasant weather than southeast Texas that time of year.

My most distinctive culinary memory from there is less pleasant than Ron's. I had Mexican food at a restaurant in Bismarck. No heat, and very little of any other flavor.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Rafter S wrote:Welcome. I also have some fond memories of your state. About 20 years ago I worked for a local beekeeper, who owned an operation in Moffitt. I'd go up there to work and stay for 4 or 5 weeks in late summer. I would have loved to stay longer, but my children were small then and I didn't like being away from them for long periods. North Dakota has much more pleasant weather than southeast Texas that time of year.

My most distinctive culinary memory from there is less pleasant than Ron's. I had Mexican food at a restaurant in Bismarck. No heat, and very little of any other flavor.

Now that is funny. I flew from Casper to Bismarck. I would get a motel and visit the mine office before going to the mine ( every company that mined in ND had their office in Bismarck, the mines were all west of Bismarck). I often ate at a Mexican Restaurant. It was not even close to being authentic Mexican food like you get in Denver.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Rafter S wrote:Welcome. I also have some fond memories of your state. About 20 years ago I worked for a local beekeeper, who owned an operation in Moffitt. I'd go up there to work and stay for 4 or 5 weeks in late summer. I would have loved to stay longer, but my children were small then and I didn't like being away from them for long periods. North Dakota has much more pleasant weather than southeast Texas that time of year.

Now that is funny. I flew from Casper to Bismarck. I would get a motel and visit the mine office before going to the mine ( every company that mined in ND had their office in Bismarck, the mines were all west of Bismarck). I often ate at a Mexican Restaurant. It was not even close to being authentic Mexican food like you get in Denver.

It was probably the same place. If I remember correctly the only thing authentic about it was that they had tortillas. Wait a minute. Denver has authentic Mexican food?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

It was probably the same place. If I remember correctly the only thing authentic about it was that they had tortillas. Wait a minute. Denver has authentic Mexican food?

More authentic than Bismarck but nothing like Texas. When I worked for Tesoro, I visited the corporate offices in San Antonio. The Mexican food there was fantastic.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”