Banded area swollen

Let us know who you are.
Murphy
Beginner
Beginner

Banded area swollen

Postby Murphy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi all!
I have two steers. (Pets only) Both were banded when we first got them in June 2016. And have been checked by my vet. Now at 10-11 months old, I noticed that there is what appears to be a testicle under the skin, about the size of a tangerine. I only noticed when he sidekicked. While standing straight I don't really see it. It happen to catch my eye and then I lifted his leg when the skin over it stretched you can notice it. I immediately called my vet. She said it could be a testicle which would be non functioning but highly unlikely that it was. Especially since she did check the area and both testicular seemed to be banded correctly. She said it could be scar tissue that was just not noticed before. Or an infection. But if it was an infection he would more than likely have a temperature and probably not be acting or eating normal. Which he's a hog he eats all of his food and tries to eat his brothers ad totally happy, healthy and normal otherwise . Also no temp. He doesn't like me going down there but while holstered he doesn't fight me, so it doesn't seem to be painful or hot at all. My vet suggested asking people on a cattle forum if they have seen this happen or if it was common or not. Before she comes out and charges me for the trip and ultrasound and possible surgery or unnessesary treatment. Or if this is a red flag and needs to be checked asap.
Any ideas? Or has anybody seen this on their farm?

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Banded area swollen

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 pm

. I have seen that area get fat but not pronounced like that.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:25 am

[quote="Murphy"]Hi all!
She said it could be a testicle which would be non functioning but highly unlikely that it was.

when I first saw it that is what It kind of looks like happened is one was missed but cant say for sure by just looking at the pictures
If one was missed I don't know that she is right to say that he is " non functioning'' I think he might still be able to breed. If I am wrong someone will point it out, maybe one of the vets on here will see it and reply
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

I band all ours and haven't ever seen anything like that happen..even if one got missed. I missed one once and never found out til we butchered him. is it hot there? soft or hard? that skin isn't split is it? looks like its open almost
Bryant they say if it ist hanging it wont work because it stays too hot..not something id risk if I knew it but unlikely he could function.....
that looks more like maybe a hernia? idk
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 am

dieselbeef wrote:I band all ours and haven't ever seen anything like that happen..even if one got missed. I missed one once and never found out til we butchered him. is it hot there? soft or hard? that skin isn't split is it? looks like its open almost
Bryant they say if it ist hanging it wont work because it stays too hot
..not something id risk if I knew it but unlikely he could function.....
that looks more like maybe a hernia? idk
around here a one nutted bull is called a stag

i've heard that when they aren't hanging and stay to hot it will cause them to get real mean! but the only ones i've ever seen were gotten rid if while they were still young so i dont know
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am

banded you cant tell..it forces it up inside and once it heals ya cant see it..they don't show like the pics above do
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 pm

We have been banding for a very long time and have never seen it quite that bad. If it is really hot it can sometimes lead to infection, at which point you have to be careful of lockjaw.
0 x

Murphy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Murphy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Thank you all!! I have been speaking with my vet. Bruxon (steer or stag) is still doing and acting just fine.
I have been taking his temp and I haven't had anything over 102.2.
It has not gotten any bigger
still not hot
To be honest the shadows in the picture and his coloring make it look a little worse than it appears in person. he was holstered when I took the photo so I was able to get a photo.
You can't see it without looking really. It was by chance I even noticed it.
I also thought that it looked like he was splitting. But I've been checking him every day and it's not splitting. Just the scar from way he healed.
It's not hard or hot and doesn't seem to bother him at all.
He is almost a year old and I was told if he's not aggressive by now I probably won't have any issues. since he will be a pet. I was also told even if this is a non functional testicle he would only have a small amount of extra testosterone. Not quite shure if I should be worried about that.

I'm thinking Hernia as well. Since there are no symptoms or signs of pain or infection. And since I banded myself I'm more than sure 2 were banded unless he had a 3rd one!
I will continue to keep an eye and if anything changes my vet will be on her way.

Has anybody kept a "stag" long enough to know if they become mean? If he is a stag I don't want to put him through surgery if he doesn't need it.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:20 am

yer way overthinkin this..
0 x
einstein

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:35 am

Murphy wrote:Thank you all!! I have been speaking with my vet. Bruxon (steer or stag) is still doing and acting just fine.
I have been taking his temp and I haven't had anything over 102.2.
It has not gotten any bigger
still not hot
To be honest the shadows in the picture and his coloring make it look a little worse than it appears in person. he was holstered when I took the photo so I was able to get a photo.
You can't see it without looking really. It was by chance I even noticed it.
I also thought that it looked like he was splitting. But I've been checking him every day and it's not splitting. Just the scar from way he healed.
It's not hard or hot and doesn't seem to bother him at all.
He is almost a year old and I was told if he's not aggressive by now I probably won't have any issues. since he will be a pet. I was also told even if this is a non functional testicle he would only have a small amount of extra testosterone. Not quite shure if I should be worried about that.

I'm thinking Hernia as well. Since there are no symptoms or signs of pain or infection. And since I banded myself I'm more than sure 2 were banded unless he had a 3rd one!
I will continue to keep an eye and if anything changes my vet will be on her way.

Has anybody kept a "stag" long enough to know if they become mean? If he is a stag I don't want to put him through surgery if he doesn't need it.

Don't believe that for a second.
I've only ever had one I couldn't trust, and it was a "steer" I bought that had one left in. He was fine until 14-15 months old, and then he turned nasty. Regardless, cattle aren't good pets.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Does he look staggy? If so, it's a testicle... if not 94% sure it's scar tissue.
I don't think much of your vet... you can usually just grab it and tell if it's a testicle or scar tissue in about 2 seconds.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”