Alabama folks, I got a ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Alabama folks, I got a ?

Postby u4411clb » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Which yard of all the yards in all of North Alabama and the one Savannah yard, consistently has the largest runs? Maybe sheer volume will accomplish my goals on both ends.

Cullman usually has the largest runs in North Alabama. They do really well with cows and calves with ear on them. I know Brangus guys and Gert guys who take their calves down to Cullman from Huntsville area when Decatur and Pulaski Tn and Fayetteville Tn are much closer. Some even have the sale barn come and pick them up.

I usually take mine to Fayetteville, Tn on their graded sales and also they weigh when you drop off instead of like Decatur where they weigh when they are about to go in the ring. But if I have calves that show too much ear I will break them off the group and take to Decatur or Cullman. Also cull cows and bulls go to Decatur or Cullman.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 pm

u4411clb wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Which yard of all the yards in all of North Alabama and the one Savannah yard, consistently has the largest runs? Maybe sheer volume will accomplish my goals on both ends.

Cullman usually has the largest runs in North Alabama. They do really well with cows and calves with ear on them. I know Brangus guys and Gert guys who take their calves down to Cullman from Huntsville area when Decatur and Pulaski Tn and Fayetteville Tn are much closer. Some even have the sale barn come and pick them up.

I usually take mine to Fayetteville, Tn on their graded sales and also they weigh when you drop off instead of like Decatur where they weigh when they are about to go in the ring. But if I have calves that show too much ear I will break them off the group and take to Decatur or Cullman. Also cull cows and bulls go to Decatur or Cullman.

If I'm not mistaken Cullman is close to I 65. It'd be an easy shot from here.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:48 pm

We normally sell at Kilpatrick, small numbers though. Wednesdays are better for selling calves there. I would stay away from Arab as I have heard of some bad experiences with folks selling there. I have never sold at Cullman but it would get my vote as the best place for you.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I will call Cullman this Thursday. Web site shows the sale starts at 8:30. That's kinda early to load, and then go on a road trip.
0 x

u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby u4411clb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
u4411clb wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Cullman is close to I 65. It'd be an easy shot from here.

About 4 miles east of I-65.
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Right now I'm taking my calves to Arab , Ft Payne use to have a strong sale but doesn't have as many buyers as they use to. The best for a little ear probably would be the markets down south .
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

cowski
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cowski » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:32 pm

the sale at savannah tn and florence al are run by harry floyd livestock.florence is my preferred sale. i have stock in russelville. cullman is a nice sale maybe a little larger than florence but too far for me to go.if your calves are thick i think you would be happy if you carried them too florence.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 am

Next week is getting full with activities, looks like I'll get up early next Thursday, and hit the Cullman sale. I appreciate the input.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 am

Proof I made it:
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 am

Bigfoot wrote:Proof I made it:

How did it work out?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:

How did it work out?

Things are different here, not in a bad way, just different. Trailer is full though. Enjoyable day. Nashville traffic coulda suck started a Harley Davidson this morning about daylight.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:

How did it work out?

Things are different here, not in a bad way, just different. Trailer is full though. Enjoyable day. Nashville traffic coulda suck started a Harley Davidson this morning about daylight.

How did your steers sale?
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Sold them in Paducah Tuesday rather then haul em all the way to Cullman.
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 pm

That looks like a really nice sale. Did they have quite a few eared cattle?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 am

A.J. wrote:That looks like a really nice sale. Did they have quite a few eared cattle?

Ear was present on almost every cull cow, back to farm cow, and bull. Not many calves with it. I thought that was strange.

The sale was good, and the owners and help were as nice a bunch as you'd ever meet.

Everybody said the storm front that moved through had numbers way down. I plan on going back in mid May. I liked it.
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”