Jersey Beef Taste Test ?

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Jersey Beef Taste Test ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Grilled up about 8 pounds of meat for lunch today. No one even touched the white meat so that went into the fridge. I focused on a taste test between a 40 month old simi-angus cow and a 24 month old Jersey steer:
- Jersey steaks looked a little fatty before they went on the grill, but they were outstanding eating! Great flavor and very tender. Simi-angus steaks were not even close.
- Jersey burger was different from what we are used to. Finer texture and more mild. Almost like there was some pork in it... :nod: Simi-angus cow burger is still my favorite.

So we have a tie at this point. Roasts are next. Would you cook or grill Jersey beef differently than a CAB crossbred?
0 x
Stocker Steve

BrandX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Jersey Beef Taste Test ?

Postby BrandX » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:56 am

i dont tink so for taste test. you want an apples to apple comparison. i think the cooking methods need to be similar. we eat jersey too.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 am

We've eaten Jersey beef for close to 10 years. Definitely my favorite all the way around. Dad sells 10-12 fed out a year with great reviews.
0 x
J & D Cattle

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:49 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Grilled up about 8 pounds of meat for lunch today. No one even touched the white meat so that went into the fridge. I focused on a taste test between a 40 month old simi-angus cow and a 24 month old Jersey steer:
- Jersey steaks looked a little fatty before they went on the grill, but they were outstanding eating! Great flavor and very tender. Simi-angus steaks were not even close.
- Jersey burger was different from what we are used to. Finer texture and more mild. Almost like there was some pork in it... :nod: Simi-angus cow burger is still my favorite.

So we have a tie at this point. Roasts are next. Would you cook or grill Jersey beef differently than a CAB crossbred?

Is that a fair comparison? 40 month old vs 24? I've heard Jersey was the best out there but never tried it.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 am

shaz wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Grilled up about 8 pounds of meat for lunch today. No one even touched the white meat so that went into the fridge. I focused on a taste test between a 40 month old simi-angus cow and a 24 month old Jersey steer:

Is that a fair comparison? 40 month old vs 24? I've heard Jersey was the best out there but never tried it.
thats what i was thinking :nod:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:53 am

BrandX wrote:i dont tink so for taste test. you want an apples to apple comparison. i think the cooking methods need to be similar. we eat jersey too.

Wouldn't hurt for the Xbrand to be just a tad younger too.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

From surveys of restaurant customers... steak tenderness was more than twice as important than flavor when rating the
overall customer satisfaction of their dining experience.

All beef tastes great or can be flavored to taste great, but a tough steak ruins the entire meal.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Son of Butch wrote:From surveys of restaurant customers... steak tenderness was more than twice as important than flavor when rating the

All beef tastes great or can be flavored to taste great, but a tough steak ruins the entire meal.

Just for reference - The last steer I finished was Balancer X Angus and all the meat has been tough so far. Steer was around 21 months old. Never had a toughness issue before.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:29 pm

shaz wrote: Is that a fair comparison? 40 month old vs 24? I've heard Jersey was the best out there but never tried it.

Life is not fair.
My guess is young animals don't make the best burger.
I suppose for a cow to cow burger battle we could buy some Jersey dairy cow culls and try to get them fat. :idea:
Packers don't like 900# cows so they sell for about $480.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Life is not fair.
I suppose for cow to cow burger battle we could buy some Jersey dairy cow culls and try to get them fat.

Why?
Would you pay extra for fatty hamburger vs lean? or Do you prefer fatty hamburger? :)
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Do you prefer fatty hamburger? :)

Yes.
Saves on charcoal.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:31 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Do you prefer fatty hamburger? :)

Yes.
Saves on charcoal.

All righty then. :)
Your tie breaker should be $ value... so sell the one that brings in the most $ to you and eat the other one.
0 x

crop hail
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby crop hail » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 am

When I was a kid, dad always had a jersey nurse cow ( to graft orphan calves to) and we always butchered her calf. So there was always one of hers in the freezer, one on feed and one nursing her. Mind you the calves weren't straight jersey, they were half jersey, half whatever bull dad had free at the time for her to breed usually angus or Simmental. The beef was always excellent. Jersey beef has a little different kind of fat and is a little sweeter tasting. As stated above we sold what was more valuable and ate what wasn't.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

I never had a clue what meat we were eating while growing up. Most was hamburger and I'm sure the other was some sort of roast. Really don't remember having steak.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 am

shaz wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:From surveys of restaurant customers... steak tenderness was more than twice as important than flavor when rating the

Just for reference - The last steer I finished was Balancer X Angus and all the meat has been tough so far. Steer was around 21 months old. Never had a toughness issue before.

This is a common problem in the world of straight bred Gelbvieh breeders. And if it's a problem for (some of) them, then it'd become a problem for about half as many of the Balancer breeders.

This is one reason we send DNA to up to three different labs before using any bull (AI or live cover).
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”