Garden 2017

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Garden 2017

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 pm

What are you putting in the ground this year? I haven't been thinking about gardening yet but Ohiosteve brought it up and he's right it's time for this thread. I am undecided on when to plant this year instead of what. I planted early last year and spring garden nor winter garden did much. I won't be planting this year till April or when almanac says. What say you all?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2017

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 am

We are already eating spinach. Onions, beets, lettuce, collards, kale and English peas are in the ground.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm

My overwintered parsnips are putting out some growth as are the carrots. The peas are just starting to sprout. I have what seems like a lifetime supply of onions and garlic going strong as last year we didn't have enough. The chickens are enjoying broccoli sprouts and cabbage :bang: . tomatoes and peppers are well under way in the greenhouse along with artichokes, eggplant and some more asparagus that I started from seed. Melons, cukes and squash just got planted this morning in the greenhouse. I wasn't happy with my potato varieties last year so I'm waiting for an order of new seed stock to get them put out. I was forbidden from planting more than five plants of any kind of winter squash this year since we still have an entire shelving unit full of it plus a freezer full of soup so that will wait until I can direct plant it outside and I fully intend to make sure I have some back up plants just in case one of my five dies. :D
I tried grafting tomatoes this year. It seems like the ones I was able to graft will take but the root variety was kind of fickle to germinate so it didn't match the varieties I planted at the same time to graft so I was only able to graft a few plants.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 am

Won't plant the bulk of the garden till late April at the earliest, still will have possibility of frost this far north if you do it any sooner but onions and radishes will probably plant as soon as onions arrive at the local stores.

Don't have a huge garden but I plant in small quantity of green beans, 2 different tomato plants, 3 different types of peppers, cucumber, yellow squash, 2 different types of lettuce, and broccoli. My nearly 3 year old loves just about all of it especially broccoli. I've tried spinach and kohlrabi before, never had much luck with spinach as it takes up too much space to get the amount I want and my wife is the only one that likes kohlrabi and doesn't eat it enough for it to be worth planting. About to take radish out of the garden too as if I don't give some away they just go to waste because she is the only one that eats those too. Basically get more than I need to make fresh salsa, salads, and other sides out of all that that we've become some of our neighbors favorite people when I have to unload the excess produce we have ready.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Sowed some lettuce and covered it with canvas, and planted some peas about a couple weeks ago. Have some seed taters and onions, waiting to be planted when it dries up enough.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 am

Got some of my seeds today

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 pm

The sugar snap peas we planted in February are coming up. Today, we planted some Thomas Laxton peas, and got a start on planting some red potatoes. Tomorrow we are hoping to finish planting potatoes, onions, and some cabbage plants.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't know if I'll even plant a garden this year. Every afternoon I have between 12 - 15 deer standing near the garden spot. The buggers ate my broccoli and cabbage! I think I need a night vision scope for my rifle because I don't want to be accused of spotlighting. ;-)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Sniper338
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Sniper338 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 pm

We just built a 100ft X 60ft high fence and orachard and garden inside.

Got, 80 tomatoe plants, 80 chili pequin, 80 jalepeno plants, red potatoes, and prolly 80 squash plants, onions, asparagus, carrots..

Going to get grape vines going this year, got jasmin planted all along the front of the high fence to start growing up in vines all on the fence to make a green blooming wall of flowers too..
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 am

Jogeephus wrote:I don't know if I'll even plant a garden this year. Every afternoon I have between 12 - 15 deer standing near the garden spot. The buggers ate my broccoli and cabbage! I think I need a night vision scope for my rifle because I don't want to be accused of spotlighting. ;-)

Theres always a way around it and I know you will plant a garden Jo
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:09 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:I don't know if I'll even plant a garden this year. Every afternoon I have between 12 - 15 deer standing near the garden spot. The buggers ate my broccoli and cabbage! I think I need a night vision scope for my rifle because I don't want to be accused of spotlighting. ;-)

Yeah. In my view there is Doe Day then there is Be Proud Its a Doe Day. Problem solved.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Yeah. In my view there is Doe Day then there is Be Proud Its a Doe Day. Problem solved.

:D
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 am

I might be able to consider what to plant if it ever stopped raining around here!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am

I just sprayed round up on my garden
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I just sprayed round up on my garden

I did that last week. Yesterday and today I'm strip tilling with a rototiller. That thing is painfully slow. Probably plant next week.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Return to “Gardening”