Dog vs. Beaver

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Dog vs. Beaver

Postby TCRanch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples (and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out. Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Re: Dog vs. Beaver

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow... glad he is OK!! My old Yellow Lab once tangled with a Boar Coon that was penned up in the pool room. Let's just say she was smart enough to not tangle with coons anymore! That coon whup up on that dog so bad and chased her clear across the back yard! Several stitches later and some antibiotics and she was OK!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Be thankful that it wasn't an otter they will chew a dog up and drown him quick.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:32 pm

On otter? Wow, had no idea they were that vicious or big. This female beaver was probably 50-55 lbs. Obie will snap a coon's neck like it's nothing, he shook a coyote like a rag doll and we once watched him try to drown a 'yote before my husband finally killed it with a mercy shot. He was dumped on our ranch when he was probably 10-11 weeks old (vets best guess) and had a snake bite on his nose so he's always been a fighter but unbelievably gentle around kids.

BTW I just found another wound under his ear so he'll be going back for more staples tomorrow.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:33 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:Wow... glad he is OK!! My old Yellow Lab once tangled with a Boar Coon that was penned up in the pool room. Let's just say she was smart enough to not tangle with coons anymore! That coon whup up on that dog so bad and chased her clear across the back yard! Several stitches later and some antibiotics and she was OK!

What's the difference between a Boar Coon and just a nasty ol' coon? Hate them, they are so destructive!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

TCRanch wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote:Wow... glad he is OK!! My old Yellow Lab once tangled with a Boar Coon that was penned up in the pool room. Let's just say she was smart enough to not tangle with coons anymore! That coon whup up on that dog so bad and chased her clear across the back yard! Several stitches later and some antibiotics and she was OK!

What's the difference between a Boar Coon and just a nasty ol' coon? Hate them, they are so destructive!

Boar coon are about half as bad a sow coon
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Hopefully your hound heals up quickly! Me and my trapping buddy like to wipe out as many of them as we can. Image
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:34 pm

TCRanch wrote:First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers
and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples
(and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out.
Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!

Awww... but I like :heart: Beavers
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Hopefully your hound heals up quickly! Me and my trapping buddy like to wipe out as many of them as we can. Image

That is awesome. There is a guy that comes out every year to trap and he's got some dandys but I don't know if he sells them or tans the pelts himself.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers
and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples
(and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out.
Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!

Awww... but I like :heart: Beavers

:hide:
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 pm

You're lucky. Lots of beavers will arch their neck, spring forward, go for the throat and then the fight is over. Their teeth are basically razor knives.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 am

Aaron wrote:You're lucky. Lots of beavers will arch their neck, spring forward, go for the throat and then the fight is over. Their teeth are basically razor knives.

I know! They're freakishly long & orange. Naaaasty!
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Beavers and Coons are tame fighters compared to a Badger. Let a hound get ahold of a badger and he will come out on the bad side every time.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

BRYANT wrote:Beavers and Coons are tame fighters compared to a Badger. Let a hound get ahold of a badger and he will come out on the bad side every time.

I actually had my very first ACD tangle with one. Man they caused a ruckus! The badger lived...until my dad got my dog clear, then the old devil came down with a mysterious case of lead poisoning. My dog had all the flesh stripped off a front leg from knee to paw, still had the tendons intact luckily. He had several other minor lacerations, but the leg was bad. We didn't even put him through a trip to the vet. He would live, or he wouldn't. Dog laid in the house in a full coma for 5 days. Within two weeks was back to going outside and in a month was back to work with no residual issues. All he received was aspirin to mitigate the pain he surely felt. He was a tough old guy and every dog I keep to this day goes back to him.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
BRYANT wrote:Beavers and Coons are tame fighters compared to a Badger. Let a hound get ahold of a badger and he will come out on the bad side every time.

I actually had my very first ACD tangle with one. Man they caused a ruckus! The badger lived...until my dad got my dog clear, then the old devil came down with a mysterious case of lead poisoning. My dog had all the flesh stripped off a front leg from knee to paw, still had the tendons intact luckily. He had several other minor lacerations, but the leg was bad. We didn't even put him through a trip to the vet. He would live, or he wouldn't. Dog laid in the house in a full coma for 5 days. Within two weeks was back to going outside and in a month was back to work with no residual issues. All he received was aspirin to mitigate the pain he surely felt. He was a tough old guy and every dog I keep to this day goes back to him.

Wow! That is one amazing dog! Sure am glad we don't have badgers around here. That I know of!
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”