Butchering an older cow

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Butchering an older cow

Postby quartermeter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Thinking about making hamburger out of my oldest cow. Her bag was only half full on her last calf. I feed them beer grain weekly so They get alot of grain. How will the meat be?? Will the tenderloins and ribeyes be worth keeping? Not sure what to expect. Thanks
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Butchering an older cow

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm

quartermeter wrote:Thinking about making hamburger out of my oldest cow. Her bag was only half full on her last calf. I feed them beer grain weekly so They get alot of grain. How will the meat be?? Will the tenderloins and ribeyes be worth keeping? Not sure what to expect. Thanks

spent grain?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 pm

to answer your question if your using spent grain that keeps flesh on them and will taste fine ... however if you mix it with ddg or regular corn its a lot better
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 pm

What's old? 5 or 6? Or more like 20, 21?
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 pm

The tenderloins absolutely keep.
Ribeyes - tell the butcher to use his judgement, you/he really won't know until he cuts into them.
Roasts - cut them small 2.5 lbs or so for the crock pot.
Hamburger - some of the best hamburger comes from old cows - with age comes a stronger beefier flavor
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:07 am

She's probably 10-15. But her bag with her last calf was only full on 1/2 of her bag. She's bred back so I'll see this time. She's a brangus and a good mother and not mean at all. I'll give her more chances. Just checking. She won't be worth much. If I decide to I'll feed her plenty of corn 6 mo before.
Spent grain Is ground barley that was used to make beer. No carbs in it but it's 20+% protein. They love it. Thanks guys. Guess she will be burger and steaks.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”