Timber Rattler

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Ryder
GURU
GURU

Re: Timber Rattler

Postby Ryder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:So was watching Lone Star Law on Animal Planet (Love that show) I saw a kid get a ticket for killing a timber rattler had to pay a 300 dollar fine and 700 in restitution. Dang 1000 for killing a snake. If you going to kill one don't post on Facebook that was that kids mistake.

The timber rattlesnake is considered extinct in Maine and Rhode Island. In the states of Vermont, Ohio, Indiana, New Hampshire, Virginia and Massachusetts, the timber rattlesnake is endangered. The timber rattlesnake is widely distributed over the southeastern United States, as far north as Maine and as far west as Texas, nevertheless, it has been extripated over much of its range. Looking back to 1972 to 1974 when I was collecting snakes, it was extremely rare to find abundant populations of timber rattlesnakes in Kentucky. Personally, I favor protection of timber rattlesnakes regardless of how unpopular that position might be.

I favor the extinction of all snakes.

+1X100
I agree 100%
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 pm

The people of Maine and Rhode Island have done an exemplary job of eradicating this dangerous animal. The populations of the states of Vermont, Ohio, Indiana, New Hampshire, Virginia and Massachusetts, are not far behind and the timber rattlesnake is in danger of losing there as well. Us folks in Texas and other southern states need to up our game more than just a little.

Bring me the hoe!!!
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

I don;t mind them as long as I they stay clear of me.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

In my part of east texas, I have not seen any rattlesnakes, but we are over run with copper heads. Just about lost a dog to a copper head last year.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm

greybeard wrote:The people of Maine and Rhode Island have done an exemplary job of eradicating this dangerous animal. The populations of the states of Vermont, Ohio, Indiana, New Hampshire, Virginia and Massachusetts, are not far behind and the timber rattlesnake is in danger of losing there as well. Us folks in Texas and other southern states need to up our game more than just a little.

Bring me the hoe!!!

They are in dangered here as well.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Txpiney wrote:In my part of east texas, I have not seen any rattlesnakes, but we are over run with copper heads. Just about lost a dog to a copper head last year.

Our dogs have been bit so many times they don't even really swell up anymore. They like killing them. Benadryl and an aspirin do the trick!
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:
Txpiney wrote:In my part of east texas, I have not seen any rattlesnakes, but we are over run with copper heads. Just about lost a dog to a copper head last year.

Our dogs have been bit so many times they don't even really swell up anymore. They like killing them. Benadryl and an aspirin do the trick!

Thanks Ricebeltrancher, I'll have to remember that remedy. Heck of a lot cheaper than a better visit.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:59 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:

My vet said he has never saved one out of hundreds bit by a timber rattler.
We are ate up with four to six footers.
The only hope here if you value your dog is snake proofing and viper cloth vest. Even snake proofed the can accidentally get on one.
Viper cloth vest

After loosing four good squirrel dogs to them through the years I got with a company in Texas that makes vest for hog dogs we designed one for the terriers
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ricebeltrancher wrote:

My vet said he has never saved one out of hundreds bit by a timber rattler.
We are ate up with four to six footers.
The only hope here if you value your dog is snake proofing and viper cloth vest. Even snake proofed the can accidentally get on one.
Viper cloth vest

What do you mean by snake proofing a dog?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Mine have attended rattlesnake school.
The snakes mouths are banded shut and the dog is fitted with a shock collar.
When the pup reaches hunting age before taking afield they are educated.
Every one I ever saw will approach a rattlesnake when the snake strikes gives them a heck of dose of electricity.

My terrier has a bark for snakes and won't approach one.
She alerted me to a big chicken snake in the yard yesterday.
She never got closer than 10 feet .

My dogs also get the rattlesnake vaccine and a booster every three months.

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattles ... ne_faq.php
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Ryder nothing is 100% foolproof when dealing with rattlesnakes
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Ryder nothing is 100% foolproof when dealing with rattlesnakes

CB, I don't know where you are in Texas. As you know, there are several species of rattlesnakes in Texas. The Timber, Western diamondback, Prairie, Mojave, etc. to name a few. What do you have where you live? From your posts, it sounds like they are under every other rock. Can you be more definitive? I have never seen that many snakes anywhere. In fact, you have to spend some time finding a rattlesnake here in Kentucky. Can you actually go out on any day and within a one mile circumference of your home find a rattlesnake? Thanks.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes you can go out and find a rattlesnake especially in the spring or after the first cold front and they are trying to fill up before hibernation.
They move like crazy then. You better not step off the porch when it gets cool either without looking they like to curl up by the slab.
When I was a teenager cousin his dog and I went out one morning snake bit the dog and my cousin both.
Dog died almost instantly and Dr said my cousin most likely would have if
the snake hadn't bit the dog first.
They have had my attention ever since.
Ninety percent here are Timber Rattlesnake the other being Eastern Diamondbacks
Bush hogging makes them move as well.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Ryder nothing is 100% foolproof when dealing with rattlesnakes

CB, I don't know where you are in Texas. As you know, there are several species of rattlesnakes in Texas. The Timber, Western diamondback, Prairie, Mojave, etc. to name a few. What do you have where you live? From your posts, it sounds like they are under every other rock. Can you be more definitive? I have never seen that many snakes anywhere. In fact, you have to spend some time finding a rattlesnake here in Kentucky. Can you actually go out on any day and within a one mile circumference of your home find a rattlesnake? Thanks.

i lived in the Appalachia region of ky for several years and their were massive amounts of rattlers.

I almost ran over a pure white albino around 8' long.

I was back about 2 mile from the house and was putting up barb wire.. hit in one strand on this old stump and went on my way.. came back around about 30 minutes later for the next strand.. heard this noise like i hit the barb wire... started walking forward.. then RATTLE!!! ! ZINGG.. right in front of me.. momma snake must of had some babies in the stump.. she came right at me full speed .. if I would of tripped or froze for a second she would of had me.. she struck out twice at me chasing right at me..

I got to a shovel and then she tried to run back in the woods to get away.. I said.. I don't think so.. B!TCH!
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 pm

also when my wife was pregnant over there she attracted them like crazy. she'd go out for a walk and they were literally coming from everywhere right to her.. it was nuts.. she had to just stay around the house.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”