Worming

Let us know who you are.
Estrick2
Beginner
Beginner

Worming

Postby Estrick2 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 am

Hi. So my husband and I did things backwards and got ourselves into a mess. We purchased about 50 head of cattle before we were ready. We were inexperienced and naive thinking we knows what we were doing.. We don't. We are loosing cows left and right. So my first question is.... is there a way or suggestions to worm cattle without cow pens? We are working on getting them built now but it's a slow process for us since we both work full time jobs.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Worming

Postby M-5 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

Well since the cart is in front of the horse already. I suggest maybe getting a vet out to evaluate what you have if your loosing cattle and then call your local extension office they should have an agent that has a strategy for beef production. you might also bake a cake for a cattleman neighbor and have hat in hand when you go over ask if he can help you. your location might determine if someone here is close.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Worming

Postby JW IN VA » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 pm

M-5 wrote:Well since the cart is in front of the horse already. I suggest maybe getting a vet out to evaluate what you have if your loosing cattle and then call your local extension office they should have an agent that has a strategy for beef production. you might also bake a cake for a cattleman neighbor and have hat in hand when you go over ask if he can help you. your location might determine if someone here is close.

Good advice.I second having the vet out.You could be dealing with a disease or poison plants.De-worming,which may be needed,with do nothing if the others are the killer.
While you have the vet there,ask about a good health program for your situation and follow it to the letter until you get some experience in what you need.Then still listen to them.If you are trying to learn there is no such thing as a dumb question.
I've been around cattle 50+ years and still can learn some things.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”