Cattle warts?

Cattle problems.
Almaza 13
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Cattle warts?

Postby Almaza 13 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm

Does anybody know what these are on this cattles face/body? And how to get rid of them? Thanks in advanced
Image
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46725
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby dun » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Yup, they are warts. You can do a bunch of things that will help git rid of them. Everything from actual science to voodoo magic. Or you can leave them alone and they will eventually clear up on their own
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 am

We twist ours off at the base.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3622
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 09, 2017 5:32 am

Those are horns... a saw will take 'em off.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2728
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 am

Son of Butch wrote:Those are horns... a saw will take 'em off.


Funny!
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3622
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 09, 2017 5:39 am

More of a problem than any warts I see.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 920
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby ddd75 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 am

i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby angus9259 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 am

ddd75 wrote:I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.


Wow, that's a lot of work. If you leave them alone in about a month they'll be gone as well...
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2387
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby gizmom » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 am

We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2728
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 7:24 am

ddd75 wrote:i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.


Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby M-5 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.


Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.


The sky aint falling ... Peroxide has many uses and is slightly more viscous than water..
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Whatnow
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Whatnow » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

gizmom wrote:We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom


Ok, I almost passed out when I read this. I have one cow that has warts that don't want to clear up. Is your scenario common?
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2387
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby gizmom » Thu May 11, 2017 6:01 pm

What now

Don't panic not common at all most times they will just go away on their own. In all our years only once has it got to that point. We are just more pro active since it did.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby ranchersswiss » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Cattle warts are contagious virus that can spread by a contact from infected cattle to non infected cattle. The warts can be cured but you have to consult a vet first. With what I heard , you may feed your cattle with a rich in minerals food to help minimize wart outbreaks.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12217
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I find it's been a bad year for warts this year, but it's not the typical wart.. it's a larger surface but doesn't grow as thick.. they seem to get over it in 2 months.. everything from the young calves to old cows have gotten it, with few exceptions.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests