Cattle warts?

Cattle problems.
Almaza 13
Beginner
Beginner

Cattle warts?

Postby Almaza 13 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm

Does anybody know what these are on this cattles face/body? And how to get rid of them? Thanks in advanced
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cattle warts?

Postby dun » Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Yup, they are warts. You can do a bunch of things that will help git rid of them. Everything from actual science to voodoo magic. Or you can leave them alone and they will eventually clear up on their own
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 am

We twist ours off at the base.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 09, 2017 5:32 am

Those are horns... a saw will take 'em off.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 am

Son of Butch wrote:Those are horns... a saw will take 'em off.

Funny!
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 09, 2017 5:39 am

More of a problem than any warts I see.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 am

i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

In about a week they'll all be gone.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 am

ddd75 wrote:I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

Wow, that's a lot of work. If you leave them alone in about a month they'll be gone as well...
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 am

We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 7:24 am

ddd75 wrote:i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

I put them through the chute and take a cotton ball and soak them in peroxide. If you can't get them in the chute feed them and just spray them with it. I like to get them really soaked though.

Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i just had a cow with them all over his face.. entire face covered.. another steer had 2 on his face.. probably got them from the other..

Whoa: be careful spraying hydrogen peroxide. It is one of the world's most powerful oxidizers!
It will take their lungs out.

The sky aint falling ... Peroxide has many uses and is slightly more viscous than water..
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Whatnow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Whatnow » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

gizmom wrote:We put them in the chute and pull them off. Had a bad experience once with one we didn't address it got huge when we got her up it was filled with maggots. Nasty does not describe that mess. Since then if we see a wart it gets pulled off. They always seem to appear on younger cattle.

Gizmom

Ok, I almost passed out when I read this. I have one cow that has warts that don't want to clear up. Is your scenario common?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu May 11, 2017 6:01 pm

What now

Don't panic not common at all most times they will just go away on their own. In all our years only once has it got to that point. We are just more pro active since it did.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ranchersswiss » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Cattle warts are contagious virus that can spread by a contact from infected cattle to non infected cattle. The warts can be cured but you have to consult a vet first. With what I heard , you may feed your cattle with a rich in minerals food to help minimize wart outbreaks.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I find it's been a bad year for warts this year, but it's not the typical wart.. it's a larger surface but doesn't grow as thick.. they seem to get over it in 2 months.. everything from the young calves to old cows have gotten it, with few exceptions.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Health & Nutrition”