Bull acting strange

The place to start if you are new!
Kingfamfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Bull acting strange

Postby Kingfamfarm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 pm

I am new to the cattle business, this is my 4th year and I still have a small herd. My bull that I have had for over a year and is 3 years old suddenly started being really weird the last couple of weeks .... he will run full speed with his tail straight out to a particular spot in the creek any time I come around... he was still coming to eat and let me spray him but as soon as he was done he would run off ... now he won't even come eat I will just see him running with his tail out. There is a house being built close by? I don't know if that has agitated him or what? Worried he's got rabies or something? Is this normal?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bull acting strange

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:28 am

I'm not sure.. Welcome to CT, I'm sure someone else will have more to say

When horseflies are around my cows get really agitated and will tear off in a manner you describe.. they're (thankfully) a pretty rare sight around here
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:51 am

My best guess would also be flies bothering him.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:19 am

How many cows do you have with him? You may not have enough to satisfy his needs and his harmons are raging. His tail sticking straight out may be a sign. :hide:
0 x

Kingfamfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Kingfamfarm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:18 pm

He has been covered in flies so I have been spraying him everytime he comes up to feed... we have had a lot of rain lately and then he didn't come up this last time...
I have 10 with him, 3 heifers I just put on him about 3 weeks ago.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Is your spray burning him?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:45 pm

talltimber wrote:Is your spray burning him?

I was thinking that the spray is the issue or being sprayed. Seeing how Kingfamfarm said that every time the bull comes to eat, he/she sprays it and then it runs to the creek, and now it won't come up to eat. I'm thinking that the bull now knows that every time it comes to you to eat, you spray it.

I'm thinking that the spray may be burning, itching or "tickling" him and he goes to the creek for relief.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Agreed. Heel flies or you have trained him to be afraid of you.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I've had cows that hated being sprayed. I've found that a squirt of Ultraboss is easier, more effective, and lasts for weeks. For me at least.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Agreed. Heel flies or you have trained him to be afraid of you.

X2. The common denominator seems to be the fly spray.
0 x

Kingfamfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Kingfamfarm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:20 pm

No I don't spray him every time he comes to eat, and just here and there when the flies are bad. He never flinches or cares at all when I spray him. And like I said I have had him for over a year.
0 x

Kingfamfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Kingfamfarm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:23 pm

But I agree a different method for flies is needed at this point. Also we have had a lot of rain lately so I haven't gotten to spray him in a while and he was again in the one spot in the creek when I checked him this evening, going to try going at a different time of day tomorrow.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 am

Kingfamfarm wrote:He has been covered in flies so I have been spraying him everytime he comes up to feed... we have had a lot of rain lately and then he didn't come up this last time...

This is why I posted what I did. You had, indeed, stated that you sprayed him every time he comes up to feed.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Kingfamfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Kingfamfarm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

Yes and then I stated we had a lot of rain lately ...I don't spray them in the rain or when it's about to rain. But in any case I have always sprayed all my cows with the same spray and he has never cared before. He doesn't actually get in the water of the creek, he stands in a spot that he has basically dug out beside the creek but it's down in it a little. Also I don't feed them every day, and he's still in that spot anytime I come around. The other cows come running from wherever they are and he always did before these last few weeks. He's staying completely separated from the herd.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:30 am

Kingfamfarm wrote:He's staying completely separated from the herd.

That would for sure throw up a red flag in my mind. Is he eating anything? How does he look, aside from the tail thing?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Return to “Beginners Board”