Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Hopeful Cowman
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Hopeful Cowman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 pm

All of the Hereford bulls shown are great looking bulls
0 x

Hopeful Cowman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Hopeful Cowman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I am super excited i do not have buyers remorse after getting these 2 bulls home.

0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 07, 2017 1:44 pm

slick4591 wrote:Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.

Hi little Pied!
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Hopeful Cowman wrote:I am super excited i do not have buyers remorse after getting these 2 bulls home.

Congrats! They look good.
0 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Tue May 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Bought a new herd bull last week he's a Gamechanger son.

0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Dsteim wrote:Bought a new herd bull last week he's a Gamechanger son.

Good looking bull! I like those Game Changers. I went up to 8 on one at the Mound Creek sale, couldn't get him bought but of course the next bid bought him. Todd is a good dude I think you will be happy with that bull.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

I think I know the bull you're talking about it was the high selling GC son right? My dad and I went to the Mound Creek sale to look at some of the GC yearlings before we bought ours from Todd. I really like the calves out of GC. We bought a best bet cow from him last year and the bull this year. Have you seen GC live? That dudes a beast.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.

Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.

We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Very informative. Thank you.

The nose ring is way more stylish than a halter.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Love the nose ring.

Thanks in advance.

We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.

Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:49 pm

elkwc wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Love the nose ring.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.

Very impressive, where are you located and what are you raising?
0 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:48 am

slick4591 wrote:Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.

Wow! :clap:
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”