Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Hopeful Cowman
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Hopeful Cowman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 pm

All of the Hereford bulls shown are great looking bulls
0 x

Hopeful Cowman
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Hopeful Cowman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I am super excited i do not have buyers remorse after getting these 2 bulls home.
Image

Image
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8253
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby slick4591 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.
Image
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 07, 2017 1:44 pm

slick4591 wrote:Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.
Image


Hi little Pied!
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Hopeful Cowman wrote:I am super excited i do not have buyers remorse after getting these 2 bulls home.
Image

Image


Congrats! They look good.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Dsteim » Tue May 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Bought a new herd bull last week he's a Gamechanger son.
Image

Image
0 x

User avatar
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Unionville, TN

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Dsteim wrote:Bought a new herd bull last week he's a Gamechanger son.
Image

Image


Good looking bull! I like those Game Changers. I went up to 8 on one at the Mound Creek sale, couldn't get him bought but of course the next bid bought him. Todd is a good dude I think you will be happy with that bull.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Dsteim » Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

I think I know the bull you're talking about it was the high selling GC son right? My dad and I went to the Mound Creek sale to look at some of the GC yearlings before we bought ours from Todd. I really like the calves out of GC. We bought a best bet cow from him last year and the bull this year. Have you seen GC live? That dudes a beast.
0 x

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

Image
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

Image


Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

Image


Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.


We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Very informative. Thank you.

The nose ring is way more stylish than a halter.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby elkwc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:I took this today. This is a June 16 3/4 blood Simm Angus, weighed 1200 a few weeks ago (before he was a year old). He is in the top 3% for weaning weight EPD and top 10% for yearling EPD. His dam is an Upgrade sired 3/4 blood cow that produces a good one every year. His sire is HPF Optimizer, from Select Sires.
Here is a link to his pedigree: https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action/ani ... er=3120507

Image


Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.


We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.


Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:49 pm

elkwc wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Love the nose ring.

What can you tell me about your development program Fire Sweep? How much feed to your bulls get and when do you start your feed program and when do you taper it off?

Thanks in advance.


We try to keep them at 2% of their body weight on a bull ration, with rumensin, from weaning until they are sold (we sell them from 9 months old to 12 months- I just put this guy up for sale today, thus the picture). So, he should be getting 24 pounds a day at 1200 pounds. He is more likely getting 12, since there are two bulls in the pasture and they were on 25 pounds a day for both (the other bull is a late September bull we weaned about 60 days ago). He is on pasture that is mostly fescue, with a little bit of clover. We do not overfeed our bulls, most of our buyers want to put them right to use, so they have to be ready to go to work, albeit light work (we suggest no more than a cow per month of age of the bull, so no more than 12 cows to start off). Our bulls DO NOT start on grain until they are weaned. We wean most of our bulls at 6 to 7 months old, and they are usually around 600 to 700 pounds so we start them slow on the bull ration until we get them up to speed.
Does that answer your questions? I send you a nose ring in the mail if you think it would look stylish on your bull! :lol2: :tiphat:
The nose ring is a necessity for showing; any bull over 9 months of age has to have a nose ring to be shown. We never use it though.


Appreciate the good information you shared. I saved a May 25th bull from last year and he weaned at 8 months at a 1,000 even and I never fed him anything after weaning and was never creeped but him and his mother were on wheat pasture for 8 weeks before weaning. Just put him on wheat pasture after weaning until it was finished. He got cake 1-2 times a week when we checked them. I didn't weigh him at a y/o but sure he is over 1,200. I debated on feeding him some and may regret not doing it but decided he was so big at 8 months it was best to let him slow down a little.Turned him out with 4 hd a week ago and will add 2-4 more as the summer goes along. Your development program sounds very solid without overfeeding them like so many do.


Very impressive, where are you located and what are you raising?
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:48 am

Re: Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:48 am

slick4591 wrote:Snapped one of my little Pied this morning.
Image


Wow! :clap:
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EsquireRancher and 5 guests