Worst month ever!

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Worst month ever!

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:32 am

wbvs58 wrote:With no pain and bilateral it does sound like something more systemic like lymphoma TC

Ken

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. She has a 2 month old calf and I have them both at the barn. I doubt her calf will take a bottle at this stage so I'm trying to get her started on cubes with my other orphan before I let them join the herd. And hopefully they'll rob off other cows.
0 x

garyws
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby garyws » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:18 pm

I really feel for you. Anyone who has raised animals know how much time, effort, and money one spends in that pursuit. Is it worth it?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:21 pm

garyws wrote:I really feel for you. Anyone who has raised animals know how much time, effort, and money one spends in that pursuit. Is it worth it?

Sometimes I wonder. But then I look at my 2 preemies that are now healthy mamas (one on her 5th calf, one on her 2nd). And I look at my abandoned twin that we searched for 3 days before finding her, amazingly still alive, and see her with her 3rd calf (she prolapsed in the middle of the night with her first). And my bull we almost lost to a systemic infection from a cut on his leg - doctored him for 8 weeks. And Bebe, who I rescued from the freezing lake when she was just a few hours old, now on her 6th calf. The list goes on but yes, it's worth it. Because for all the tragedy and heartbreak there's also a bunch of healthy, bunky calves running around each year and a lot of happy (fat) cows. :heart:
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

garyws wrote:I really feel for you. Anyone who has raised animals know how much time, effort, and money one spends in that pursuit. Is it worth it?

I've had a winter like that. Had, what seemed like a year, where I wondered that as well. During drought I wondered. But, in the long run, I've determined that it is worth it, for me anyhow.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:

I've had a winter like that. Had, what seemed like a year, where I wondered that as well. During drought I wondered. But, in the long run, I've determined that it is worth it, for me anyhow.

Absolutely!!! 3 years in a row. Breaking ice in the lake so you can pump/haul water to other pastures and paying a fortune for junk hay makes you question your sanity. Still worth it.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Quick update: Finally got the results back from the blood test and my Bella is definitely positive for lymphoma. With no other symptoms and still a great appetite/condition, vet thinks she can still raise her calf possibly even until weaning. In my mind she's been an awesome cow, raised great calves (2 of which we kept) and has earned the right to die on the ranch where she was born and raised. But I did call the owner of the Sale Barn (also a friend) just to make sure I wasn't being totally stupid. He said with her bulging eyes IF she even sold she would get maybe $.10 per lb tops (obviously they'd split the calf). Gotta say, so far June isn't looking much better than May. :(
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 pm

thanks for the update.. even though it's not a great one.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:15 pm

TCRanch wrote:Quick update: Finally got the results back from the blood test and my Bella is definitely positive for lymphoma. With no other symptoms and still a great appetite/condition, vet thinks she can still raise her calf possibly even until weaning. In my mind she's been an awesome cow, raised great calves (2 of which we kept) and has earned the right to die on the ranch where she was born and raised. But I did call the owner of the Sale Barn (also a friend) just to make sure I wasn't being totally stupid. He said with her bulging eyes IF she even sold she would get maybe $.10 per lb tops (obviously they'd split the calf). Gotta say, so far June isn't looking much better than May. :(

I'm ready for your luck to change.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:54 am

Getting a definitive diagnosis is good, you know what you are dealing with. Maybe things are changing for you TC.

Ken
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 am

Keep your problems outside the yard fence, and you have no problems.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Keep your problems outside the yard fence, and you have no problems.

I wish that were true!
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Sorry for the diagnosis on the cow. Hope she can get the calf up a little older for all concerned. I have to agree with what I see at the sale barns here; anything like cancer eye, lumps or swellings and the bulging eyes will discount them so much. Give her a good rest of her life and let her sleep forever on her home turf when the time comes.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks, everyone. I let Bella, her calf and the orphan out of "prison" this morning and they're back with the herd. My orphan is doing great; she knows I'm her source for cubes and she's pretty aggressive so hopefully she'll rob off another cow.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Sorry to hear, but now you know, for certain, what's wrong. Thanks for the update.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 am

R.I.P. Bella. Didn't make it as long as I had hoped but her calf is doing great, as is my other orphan.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”