Feedlot Calf - sickly since we got her

The place to start if you are new!
DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Feedlot Calf - sickly since we got her

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Craig Miller wrote:At 8 weeks old you should be trying hard to her to eat something along with giving her the milk too. Maybe try just some plain sweet feed. How much milk is she taking? What about free choice water?

Dolly is on 2 litres of calf replacer... she also eats some oats, calf starter, and grazes a grassy field. Water has always been available from the moment we brought them home at the age of 5 days.
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm

MRRherefords wrote:If she is really bad off, I would get electrolytes into her. Good luck with her.

as soon as she goes off her bucket, for the rest of that day I watch her graze and drink water.
Thank you for your reply :)
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote: #1 mistake most people do when they start off with bottle calves is they make the mistake of force feeding a sick calf milk after letting it not eat for a day or two

So what do you do with a "rescue calf" that has not eaten for a while?

I don't give her two days. I watch her graze the field and drink some water.... if she has not drank her bucket that evening, the vet says to give her a shot of RESFLOR every 3 days for a total of 3 shots. Usually the next day Dolly is drinking as normal and no issues. But once the meds wear off she is down and depressed and we start again.
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
DATorrie wrote:Is there anything I can do for this calf to boost energy and appetite.

Many folks use vit B, or Karo syrup on nipple, for appetite. Syrup helps with energy also if you add it to replacer.

They sell paste in push tubes for an energy boost. Seems to work if calves are in decent health but in a tough environment.

I will try this (syrup) on her bucket nipple this evening .. thank you :)
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote: #1 mistake most people do when they start off with bottle calves is they make the mistake of force feeding a sick calf milk after letting it not eat for a day or two

So what do you do with a "rescue calf" that has not eaten for a while?

IV electrolytes...if not via IV you tube it in. Its not hard to tell if a calf is dehydrated. Pump milk into a dehydrated calf will kill it. It takes water to digest milk, water that a dehydrated calf cant spare. Its like someone stranded on a boat thirsting to death. The reason they cant drink salt water is because it takes more water to digest it, same principle with a dehydrated calf and milk....Get them hydrated first, then worry about starvation. 3 days irreversible damage to organs without water, 5 days dead.... you can go without food for longer before you die, treat dehydration first.

Thank you ... I keep 'pinching' skin checking for dehydration ...
Can she just have electrolytes daily while grazing and eating her oats and rations?
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm

farmerjan wrote:I would say the same as far as electrolytes and keeping her hydrated. The vet should be the best source of advice since you've already been there. If she is from a feedlot heifer, then she has alot going against her so it is not a good place to start. Unless they are basically free, I would be hesitant to get calves there. I spent a ton of time and money when I was first raising calves, by getting the ones that were less than healthy and in the long run it is seldom worth it.. I am a big believer in Vit B as an appetite stimulant also. I'd say quit the milk but if she is not eating much grain then I don't know. I usually always start them on a "sweet feed" also. Plain oats won't entice her like a molasses type feed. Good luck with her.

LOL!!! Sweet feed is all I feed my animal family! We purchased 5 babies from the feedlot at the same time. The bull calf seemed ok the night we brought them home (he was 6 days old). On day 8 he was laying down in his house and would not get up for bucket breakfast ... by afternoon he was in the vet clinic on IV fluids. He died during the night :(

Dolly is sickly a lot... and Reba, Loretta and Kitty are all thriving :)

I, too, think we should just pull her off the milk!
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:29 pm

DATorrie wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Poor baby! Glad she's been treated by a vet. I'll give a slow calf a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy but not sure it will help in this case. Is she dehydrated? May need electrolytes. Good luck!

Thank you! :)
She has been on electrolytes as soon as she goes off her bottle/bucket. I do not force or drench her .. I let her take her time getting it down.
Dolly sees a vet at least once a week... sometimes for a problem and sometimes the vet just 'pops' in to see how she is doing.

Well she's getting the best care possible. And I also have a Dolly :D
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Dolly, Loretta, Reba, and Kitty. I like the names. What was the bull calf's name? Hank? George? Maybe Ernest?

And Patsy would be my choice for the next heifer, in case you're interested in suggestions.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

iBLeslie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby iBLeslie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Im so sorry, it's so sad to think how many feedlot babies suffer with this! First off, I am glad you havent given up on her! Keeping her hydrated is so important. I have had to implement ideas on my calf I got at 5 weeks when mom passed. (luckily he had colostrum) One thing tho...colostrum will not work after the first 48 hrs of life, so just wasted money!
If u think she is dehydrated , punch her skin. if skin goes right back down she isnt dehydrated. If it slowly goes down or stays in a tint form. she need fluids ASAP. If u are comfortable giving subq (under skin) fluids, ask vet for some lactated ringers to have on hand and tell vet weight so he can tell you how much subq fluids to give. Try to get her eating any kind of sweet cob. Purina make a startena cob that is very sweet and high in protein. If she isnt eating well, I have found giving a paste ofhttps://www.scahealth.com/scah/produc ... supplement works wonders! Well worth buying. Also, give probiotics in paste form. This helps develop the rumen better.
0 x

DATorrie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby DATorrie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:14 pm

UPDATE: Dolly was placed on electrolytes for 6 feedings (3 times a day) ... she only took small amounts at a time, but I was persistent and patient enough to wait it out (almost an hour to drink a litre). We also gave her a vit B shot on Thursday (yesterday). This morning Dolly was looking for her bucket of milk, but I only gave her 1 litre to start (and again it took an hour to get it in :) )
I am wondering with her facial paralysis (left side) if this 'could' be affecting her ability to swallow... seems to swallow and then coughs.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Dolly is a tough little girl! Sometimes bottle calves get it down the wrong tube, causing them to cough. But I'm curious what your vet has to say about the paralysis. BTW I believe Stocker Steve mentioned paste for sluggish calves; we use Nursemate ASAP. You're doing great!
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Your little calf is very lucky to have you working "for her" so hard. I would think that the paralysis is probably affecting the bottle drinking. I would keep the electrolytes in her drinking water all the time while you are trying to get her "doing better".. It won't hurt her at this point and may help to keep her energy up and her hydration better. Good luck as the longer she keeps going the better she might be able to "outgrow" some of her difficulties.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am

Sounds like you are trying hard to keep this calf going. Good for you if you can afford it. We all say don't waste your money, but then we pretty much all do it ourselves anyway. When you have a live calf, it's soooo hard to give up.
B-12 is great advice. I would also load her up with Probias (good bugs). You can buy it at a local TSC or maybe a feed store. Also, sweet feed as suggested. Does she run a fever?
Colostrum is tested by drawing blood. No, it is not a death sentence, but no or low colostrum sets them up for potential health issues for the rest of their calfhood life.
Not real sure what you meant when you said you purchased from a feedlot, but as others stated, that sounds like you bought calves out of mistaken bred feedlot heifers - and no, that is NEVER a good place to buy calves.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm

If three outta five feedlot calves are thriving, you're doing pretty well.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”