Salt and mineral blocks

Cattle problems.
Florida cowgirl
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Florida cowgirl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 am

Do you need salt and mineral blocks at each water source all year long. Also somebody mention Salt blocks with fly control. Does it work and is it pricey because I think my Dad sprayed for cows for flies. :heart: :heart:
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby callmefence » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:57 am

Florida cowgirl wrote:Do you need salt and mineral blocks at each water source all year long. Also somebody mention Salt blocks with fly control. Does it work and is it pricey because I think my Dad sprayed for cows for flies. :heart: :heart:


I keep trace mineral blocks out at all times. Near water sources and other high traffic areas.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8003
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Keep loose mineral and salt out at all times. Use fly control as needed.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:47 pm

If you are wanting to be a good cattle manager by feeding mineral - GREAT!!! But, a cow might need to eat a block of mineralized salt blocks per day to get an adequate amount of the few minerals it offers. All cattle need salt & mineral, but I highly recommend biting the bullet & feed granular mineral in some type of feeder. There are a tremendous number of suppliers and the formula would depend on your area and the time of year in some cases.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3861
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm

1982vett wrote:Keep loose mineral and salt out at all times.


What he said. Don't bother with the blocks.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2771
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 am

As previously stated, the likelihood that cattle can actually consume enough from a 'trace mineralized salt block' to meet their needs is pretty slim... and if you're located in an area where soils are deficient in copper, those red TM salt blocks will actually make copper deficiency in your livestock worse - due to the high levels of Iron Oxide that are added as a filler/coloring agent... even though Iron oxide(rust) is virtually unavailable as a utilizable iron source for the animal, it still competetively blocks intestinal absorption sites where copper would be absorbed.

All mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL... get and feed a free-choice mineral mix that's been formulated specifically for your area.
0 x

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

Lucky_P wrote:All mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL... get and feed a free-choice mineral mix that's been formulated specifically for your area.

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: There are a tremendous number of suppliers and the formula would depend on your area and the time of year in some cases.

I have heard this many times on this site , but don't know I have ever seen where anyone has ever told how to find out which mineral is needed. may have and I missed it ????
I have looked on Wind and Rain mineral bags and there was nothing saying anything about the area to use it in. I have a label in front of me now off of Vigortone 3V5 S Cinnagar . says nothing about area or seasons , other than all weather formula. so how do you know. Also seem like it could change from one place to the other I have seen deer dig big holes around where something was leaked at oil sites always thought that was some kind of a mineral they were after ??? if so that place may have something that the one across the road would not. so how do you find out or is it really that important to know or just feed a good mixture and not worry about it ???
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 am

blocks are a waste of money and on top of that they'll eat into the ground
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 am

ddd75 wrote:blocks are a waste of money and on top of that they'll eat into the ground


I don't consider either a waste of money. Loose mineral is definitely superior. And I use it especially when grazing pure annual forage.
However when cattle are on pasture and getting a variety of diet I don't worry much about it. Loose is still out, but what if a feeder is turned over runs out etc. Cattle use the blocks and while inferior in consumption rates.
They guarantee something is there when cows might not be checked but every couple weeks.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28254
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am

BRYANT wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:All mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL... get and feed a free-choice mineral mix that's been formulated specifically for your area.

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: There are a tremendous number of suppliers and the formula would depend on your area and the time of year in some cases.

I have heard this many times on this site , but don't know I have ever seen where anyone has ever told how to find out which mineral is needed. may have and I missed it ????
I have looked on Wind and Rain mineral bags and there was nothing saying anything about the area to use it in. I have a label in front of me now off of Vigortone 3V5 S Cinnagar . says nothing about area or seasons , other than all weather formula. so how do you know. Also seem like it could change from one place to the other I have seen deer dig big holes around where something was leaked at oil sites always thought that was some kind of a mineral they were after ??? if so that place may have something that the one across the road would not. so how do you find out or is it really that important to know or just feed a good mixture and not worry about it ???

Bryant lots of folks will "tell you" that the mineral is made just for your area. Truth is that company (especially if it's a nationwide company) sells the exact same mineral all over the country. Very few companies actually make custom mineral "for the area" because "the area" can have so much variation almost from one side of the road to the other. You normally just have to buy what is available and hope they get what they need.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7647
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Some areas are extremely deficit in Selenium or Copper or possibly other things. It is best to contact your local Beef Extension Specialist. All the Universities are familiar what is needed for your area. Yes, there are many minerals available to EVERYONE and any of them are better than blocks.
I guess if you don't check your cattle for a few weeks, salt blocks are better than nothing - but that's all - they are better than nothing.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:13 pm

I've watched ranchers my entire life feed nothing but mineral and sulfur blocks. I'm referring to people who the entire family lives off the cows. And be quite successful. Again I'm not bashing loose mineral at all. I do think some people spend way to much on it. Some people just kinda like to buy stuff. You'll see em at tsc. Just looking for a way to spend. So to each his own. and i'm sure in instances where cattle are kept practically like chickens it mineral intake becomes more of a issue ..
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3861
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby Rafter S » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 pm

callmefence wrote:I've watched ranchers my entire life feed nothing but mineral and sulfur blocks. I'm referring to people who the entire family lives off the cows. And be quite successful.


I've known people like that too, but that doesn't mean they didn't have room for improvement.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:I've watched ranchers my entire life feed nothing but mineral and sulfur blocks. I'm referring to people who the entire family lives off the cows. And be quite successful.


I've known people like that too, but that doesn't mean they didn't have room for improvement.


Agreed
And I said loose is superior. But blocks have their place.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm

callmefence wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:I've watched ranchers my entire life feed nothing but mineral and sulfur blocks. I'm referring to people who the entire family lives off the cows. And be quite successful.


I've known people like that too, but that doesn't mean they didn't have room for improvement.


Agreed
And I said loose is superior. But blocks have their place.


they make good door stops at the feed store
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests