callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Salt and mineral blocks

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 pm

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
I've known people like that too, but that doesn't mean they didn't have room for improvement.

Agreed
And I said loose is superior. But blocks have their place.

they make good door stops at the feed store

Don't y'all use em somehow to catch mullet?
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:02 pm

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Agreed
And I said loose is superior. But blocks have their place.

I will bury a few for deer licks , But mullet is baited using Ole roy dogfood in a croaker sack
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I will bury a few for deer licks , But mullet is baited using Ole roy dogfood in a croaker sack

I see . got some in the barn I think I'll go head and let the cows lick em. Hope they survive.
0 x

David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:21 pm

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I see . got some in the barn I think I'll go head and let the cows lick em. Hope they survive.

They will survive but their tongues will be sore
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 pm

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:

They will survive but their tongues will be sore

Been there...barely survived
0 x

David Crockett

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:30 pm

I use loose minerals but I have worked for ranchers where blocks had to be packed on horses to back country ridges. Loose minerals just wouldn't be practical in those cases. I don't put minerals near water or high traffic areas but rather well away from those areas to draw the cows into less traveled areas.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Dave wrote:I use loose minerals but I have worked for ranchers where blocks had to be packed on horses to back country ridges. Loose minerals just wouldn't be practical in those cases. I don't put minerals near water or high traffic areas but rather well away from those areas to draw the cows into less traveled areas.

:nod: :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:33 pm

TexasBred wrote:
BRYANT wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:All mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL... get and feed a free-choice mineral mix that's been formulated specifically for your area.

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: There are a tremendous number of suppliers and the formula would depend on your area and the time of year in some cases.

I have heard this many times on this site , but don't know I have ever seen where anyone has ever told how to find out which mineral is needed. may have and I missed it ????
I have looked on Wind and Rain mineral bags and there was nothing saying anything about the area to use it in. I have a label in front of me now off of Vigortone 3V5 S Cinnagar . says nothing about area or seasons , other than all weather formula. so how do you know. Also seem like it could change from one place to the other I have seen deer dig big holes around where something was leaked at oil sites always thought that was some kind of a mineral they were after ??? if so that place may have something that the one across the road would not. so how do you find out or is it really that important to know or just feed a good mixture and not worry about it ???

Bryant lots of folks will "tell you" that the mineral is made just for your area. Truth is that company (especially if it's a nationwide company) sells the exact same mineral all over the country. Very few companies actually make custom mineral "for the area" because "the area" can have so much variation almost from one side of the road to the other. You normally just have to buy what is available and hope they get what they need.

Second what the Texan said. Basically there are two methods to formulate a mineral. Method one-Cattle requirements minus what the grass has=What they put in the mineral (they will then add extra to be safe). Method two Supply 100% of cattle requirements in the mineral and don't worry about what the grass has.

I have no idea what the phos levels are in your area are, but that's the most important thing to consider (IMHO) when buying mineral. Its the most expensive ingredient/bag so using the right level can save you money (or if you are under feeding it improve conception rates). In my area during the summer we can use as low as a 4% phos (most play it safe and use a 6-8%). Then with distillers in the winter and the cows aren't milking I can use a 0%. Probably saves me $6-10/bag over using the 12-12 year round stuff. Then I just use a organic or hydroxy mineral that supplies 100% of requirements and I don't worry about it as long as intake is about what the bag says. If you really want to dial it in you could take grass samples and send them off to be tested for mineral levels. From there it is a math problem to figure out what you are lacking in the most. But its not that simple, because things in the soil can tie up those minerals and make them unavailable to the cattle.

Someone on this sight put together a document on minerals, its pretty good. It list cow requirements for each mineral you can use it to see if those tags are supplying 100% or a little less.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:54 am

Once again it's still about intake. No way to accurately measure dry matter intake in a grazing operation. We work within ranges.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Health & Nutrition”