PNEU Darts

Cattle problems.
NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

PNEU Darts

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Anyone have a supplier outside their local vet or ammo supplier for pneu darts? They get pretty pricey, so we were looking for maybe someone online that others have used to buy in larger quantity for a better price.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6141
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 pm

I get mine from Livestock Concepts.
0 x

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Black and Good » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:28 pm

They all seem to be about the same price. I used to order from other dealers but then Pneu-Dart told me they had problems with some made before a certain date so, since then I just order from Pneu-Dart. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

I was browsing Livestock Concepts. It's good to see a recommendation.

Have a friend who is stating he can get them for $18. My husband was going to look into him and see if they are the same brand, etc... But felt it was worth a try to see if anyone else out there sold for that also.
0 x

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby LDEnterprises » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 am

NEFarmwife wrote:I was browsing Livestock Concepts. It's good to see a recommendation.

Have a friend who is stating he can get them for $18. My husband was going to look into him and see if they are the same brand, etc... But felt it was worth a try to see if anyone else out there sold for that also.


If true that's a pretty good price. I'm paying $27 right now per pack.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5687
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 am

They are costing me around 5 per dart form the Co. I buy all my meds from.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:12 am

LDEnterprises wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:I was browsing Livestock Concepts. It's good to see a recommendation.

Have a friend who is stating he can get them for $18. My husband was going to look into him and see if they are the same brand, etc... But felt it was worth a try to see if anyone else out there sold for that also.


If true that's a pretty good price. I'm paying $27 right now per pack.


I'll follow up with info if this turns out to be accurate!
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:40 pm

OK, I'll bite - what is Pneu-Dart. I'm going to "assume" it has something to do with Pneumonia treatment???
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:06 am

It's a dart that holds vaccines. We use it in pasture to treat cattle if they're sick.

Was a costly investment but sure makes the work a lot easier and have had good success with it so far.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense. Thanks We do have a few producers around the state that use darts.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5687
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense. Thanks We do have a few producers around the state that use darts.

Anyone with cattle should have a dart gun. Lot of times I'll dart one in the pen just so I don't get it all worked up going through the chute.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:43 pm

jedstivers wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense. Thanks We do have a few producers around the state that use darts.

Anyone with cattle should have a dart gun. Lot of times I'll dart one in the pen just so I don't get it all worked up going through the chute.

Sorry, but I have never had an animal get so "worked up" putting it thru the chute that I would consider darting it. I am not trying to criticize anyone, but I believe having good facilities is the number one thing a producer needs on their farm. If my facilities were so poor or my cattle were so wild that I needed to dart them ---- well, I'll just say that is not my kind of working cattle. Wild cows get culled.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

I'll add that if I had one too wild to work thru the chute, I would have the butcher here to shoot her & hang her up. If they are too wild to go thru the chute, I darn sure wouldn't want to load them on a trailer. LOL Just different managements. It's what you tolerate in your own management. I'm sure I do things some of you would never do on your farm. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their own program.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6141
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 pm

They work real good in big pastures where you have to gather a large bunch to doctor one animal. A lot easier than roping and knocking one down. Easier on both the cow and the cowboy.
I pay about $18 a pack for the darts.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 am

Dave wrote:They work real good in big pastures where you have to gather a large bunch to doctor one animal. A lot easier than roping and knocking one down. Easier on both the cow and the cowboy.
I pay about $18 a pack for the darts.

Totally understand where it can be super useful in individual situations. I forget how BIG beef farms are elsewhere!!! I walk my whole property. LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], LDEnterprises and 6 guests