What Is This (And What Do It Do)?

The place to start if you are new!
boondocks
GURU
GURU

What Is This (And What Do It Do)?

Postby boondocks » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 pm

I'd like to learn more about farm machinery. So I'm starting a thread in which ignoramuses (ahem. that would be me, but others with no shame can post queries too) can post pictures (from CL or elsewhere) and ask the collective brain trust: "What Is This? And What Do It Do?".
Now, when I say I know nothing about farm machinery, I mean I.know.nothing.about.farm.machinery. Please do take me literally and don't talk about xg7demodulators. :D

Ok, here goes nuthin: What is this, and what do it do?
"International Flail Chopper":
https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/6180161121.html
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: What Is This (And What Do It Do)?

Postby boondocks » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Here's another: "Ag Bagger": (looks like a pile o' junk to me, but maybe it's treasure):
https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/6180154185.html
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 pm

First one is well.. a flail chopper.. essentially it chops the forage and blows it into a silage wagon to make silage.. There are versions without the blowers as well.

Second one makes those long rows of wrapped silage.. basically stuffs it into a long bag.. it does look pretty beat up though
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:38 pm

boondocks wrote:Here's another: "Ag Bagger": (looks like a pile o' junk to me, but maybe it's treasure):

$3k is a sizable down payment on a brand new single bale wrapper.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Aaron wrote:
boondocks wrote:Here's another: "Ag Bagger": (looks like a pile o' junk to me, but maybe it's treasure):

$3k is a sizable down payment on a brand new single bale wrapper.

there was one at an auction here with a bunch of bag, working unit, but about the same condition.. went for under 1K
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:16 am

Yeh the 1st one cuts the forage with multiple swinging hammer type flails attached to a rotating drum very similar to rotary hoe and the speed of the flail flicks the cut forage up the chute.

Ken
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:43 am

You can type anything into youtube and see exactly what it does.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 pm

I like looking on equipment sites. There is a lot of equipment you see up north you don't see down here. I was looking for a feed grinder almost all of them were up north. I think there was only one in Texas and it was in bad shape and expensive. There is also equipment brands up north I had never heard of had to look a few up.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 am

Here's a beauty. https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/6178805159.html

Now, I do know what this is, but what's a magneto?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:09 am

It's an old version of a distributor, what generates the electricity to fire the spark plugs :)

It is a beauty!
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:34 am

Geal spreader: https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/6184240867.html
Manure? Unicorns and rainbows? Help me out here
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 am

Yes, manure spreader.. seems quite similar to our International unit, but the price is getting up there.

Around here we call it a rock spreader :P This one doesn't look like it's spread too many rocks though
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 am

Nesikep wrote:Yes, manure spreader.. seems quite similar to our International unit, but the price is getting up there.

Around here we call it a rock spreader :P This one doesn't look like it's spread too many rocks though

Looks like rusty galvy on some old tires. Overpriced?
We have LOTS of rocks around here. Many days I feel like a rock farmer.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:25 am

As long as the tires hold air, it's all they need to do.. they're usually all worn out old semi truck tires anyhow... I do think it's a little expensive... I will say the drive system looked to be in good shape, and the nylon? floor is nice. Good units are hard to find and do go for good money though
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Generally flail choppers aren't used for silage as they don't chop super fine so packing the grass into a bunker isn't as effective, also fresh chopped grass is too wet for silage and the flails don't pickup windrowed grass as well as a true silage chopper. But in a pinch it will work for that.

What they were marketed for and what I use mine for is green chopping feed for the cows to eat immediately. I have areas around the farm that aren't able to be fenced and aren't really worth making hay on, so in the spring of the year I will go through and flail chop the feed onto a wagon and then feed it out right away, never chopping more than about 24 hours worth at any one time (as it will start to heat and mold quickly). Also use it in the fall to chop and feed out second crop hay to the cows from areas that I can't graze.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”