Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Where and/or how do I start?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley; Thank you. Sometimes I get carried away and have been "accused" of writing a book LOL, but it just seems that there are more and more people who "want to be farmers" yet cannot accept the real life practicality of dead and beef and stuff. I AM a big fan of reading....BUT....all that book knowledge just isn't enough and when the practical comes into play, they just don't seem to get it. I hope somehow, I have helped and not discouraged them in a way to have a negative attitude; but again, this is real day to day and to sugar coat it or have totally unrealistic expectations from the rosy pictures that are painted makes me mad.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Where and/or how do I start?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:28 pm

I fully agree. We all know the saying 'if you have livestock - you have dead stock". People moving into the country or just starting to acquire animals think this is a terrible attitude - but - that's life on the farm. Get a thicker skin or get out. I guess it's not necessarily needing thicker skin, as much as you need to be practical. Things happen that we cannot control. We have to make life decisions for our animals all the time. One gets sick or injured - treat or ship?? Finances have to play into our decision making. Sweet Bessie is a great cow, but when she quits breeding, or doesn't do a good job raising her calf, we have to decide it's time to send her to the market to make some nice hamburgers - and put money in our bank account to pay for the expenses of the other cows that ARE raising us a baby.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”