Feed Out Steers Profitable

Cattle problems.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Feed Out Steers Profitable

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

Okay, didnt quite get answer long time ago and answers vary on google, I am getting 1 ton of brewers grain, 28% protien at $60 a ton. Can I feed out steers bought from the auction, along with 13% rye hay, $20 for 4×5.5 round bales. Cant quite figure the calculation. The data says to feed anywhere from 10-20 pounds of brewers grain a fay mixed with hay for 2-3 pounds a day gain.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Feed Out Steers Profitable

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 am

BK9954 wrote:Okay, didnt quite get answer long time ago and answers vary on google, I am getting 1 ton of brewers grain, 28% protien at $60 a ton. Can I feed out steers bought from the auction, along with 13% rye hay, $20 for 4×5.5 round bales. Cant quite figure the calculation. The data says to feed anywhere from 10-20 pounds of brewers grain a fay mixed with hay for 2-3 pounds a day gain.

I think you can just have to pay attention to your imputs and such... I feed mine free choice brewers grain
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

BK9954 wrote:Okay, didnt quite get answer long time ago and answers vary on google, I am getting 1 ton of brewers grain, 28% protien at $60 a ton. Can I feed out steers bought from the auction, along with 13% rye hay, $20 for 4×5.5 round bales. Cant quite figure the calculation. The data says to feed anywhere from 10-20 pounds of brewers grain a fay mixed with hay for 2-3 pounds a day gain.

Think about it backwards. How much money do you want to make? What risks are you willing to take? That will answer your question.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Well I am weighing my options on what to do with all the grain. If I cant feed out and cash in on animals, I may just mark it up and sell it on craigslist like the other guys. They are selling 55 gal. for $40. And that guy is selling 20-30 a week. I can beat that price and sell at $30. I dont have many animals on my place need to feed that much right now.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm

i would think you'd make quite a profit with those feed costs.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 pm

BK9954 wrote:Well I am weighing my options on what to do with all the grain. If I cant feed out and cash in on animals, I may just mark it up and sell it on craigslist like the other guys. They are selling 55 gal. for $40. And that guy is selling 20-30 a week. I can beat that price and sell at $30. I dont have many animals on my place need to feed that much right now.

It would take 2 steers to make as much profit as selling 1 barrel weekly. :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 pm

BK9954 wrote:Well I am weighing my options on what to do with all the grain. If I cant feed out and cash in on animals, I may just mark it up and sell it on craigslist like the other guys. They are selling 55 gal. for $40. And that guy is selling 20-30 a week. I can beat that price and sell at $30. I dont have many animals on my place need to feed that much right now.

Dag I wish I were closer I could rack up since im getting all my tons of grain... Free.. .Yea I may just be a grain dealer there as was said :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:

It would take 2 steers to make as much profit as selling 1 barrel weekly. :2cents:

Selling it may be the option. This company just got a deal with Specs Liquor and another large retailer. They are about to go into full swing. So I may be up to my ears in grain. The stuff I cant feed now I have been drying in the sun for longer storage. It doesnt come soaking wet like the beer grain. This stuff is just damp, has some corn thats almost whole.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm

You can fill up a barrel with a lid on it and make sileage. I've done that and fed it 6 mo Later. Cows loved it.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 pm

quartermeter wrote:You can fill up a barrel with a lid on it and make sileage. I've done that and fed it 6 mo Later. Cows loved it.

I am having them put it in 55 gal blue food grade barrels with lids. It gets white mold on the top layer. You can keep it for that long without the whole thing turning? We are also going through some 100 degree days. But heck the buckets cost $30 so they are worth more then the feed. Thats been the biggest investment in getting this stuff. I drop off buckets when I pick up the full ones.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”