Propogating blackberries

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Propogating blackberries

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Someone give me a lesson in propagating thorn less black berries. I really want to try cuttings what time and how.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Propogating blackberries

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 pm

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/propagate- ... 35117.html

I think it will work.

I was curios if they would grow and produce. My bush is finishing it's second year in the ground. I have it in a raised bed. A new plant started near the edge. I'm guessing a branch tip got buried and rooted. Anyway, it had a decent crop this year and I am impressed on the size and sweetness f the berries. Going to definitely try to propagate more or keep an eye out on lowes discount rack. It's where I got the plant to begin with.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm

First time I heard of someone trying to propagate them.. most of the time people are trying to erradicate them.. they are ver delicious though!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Nesikep wrote:First time I heard of someone trying to propagate them.. most of the time people are trying to erradicate them.. they are ver delicious though!

I have several plants in the back yard that are thorn less. One in particular produces a lot of berries that is the one I want to propagate and get more of.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 pm

You are right to try to propagate from cuttings, and as planned, select the one that is the best producer. It will propagate, thru underground suckers all on it's own, but the sucker or daughters rarely produce as well as the parent. I do not know why.

I prefer this method:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-black ... 48501.html

I have also air propagated berries the same way ya do grapes--most call it air layering.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/eart ... -layering/

There's plenty of youtube vids showing exactly how to do it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Gardening”